Outboard Motor Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnY

Jun 2, 2009
2 309 #61 Ventura, CA
This is a really simple issue, but I thought it may be of use to someone. Like most people I have my dingy outboard hanging off my rear stanchion (Tohatsu 2.5 hp). I was never happy with the original setup because it seemed to bounce around a bit and I was afraid that eventually I'd have cracking issues where the stanchion post connects to the fiberglass due to the constant movement (a problem I had on a previous boat). As you can see in the photos I took one of the West Marine motor mounts and inverted it with a short piece of tubing between the two mounts to strengthen this area. Adding the second mount upside down substantially reinforced my original setup. Now there is far less movement. After I did this I noticed that the base of the motor itself bounced a little because it was not touching anything, just free hanging from the mount. I took a thick clear piece of plumbing hose and cut a V into it to place against the bottom of the motor. The motor rests firmly in the V and the pressure keeps the piece of plastic hose against the back of the mount. no more movement. I drilled a small hole and ran a piece of line through the piece of plastic to keep from loosing it over the side when I removed the motor.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.