outboard motor mount options on a 27

Apr 23, 2015
Beneteau Moorings 38 Daytona Beach
Need some help from my fellow 27 owners, in the form of photos, drawings, measurements and the like.

I'm in need a of a new outboard motor. the standard shaft we have now just isn't convenient to operate. I'm considering either a long or extra long shaft, but the question is, which, and where to mount it?

So please, if you have a long or extra long on your 27 (preferably with that huge cutout still..well. cut out) would you please share a photo or three?

I'm thinking an extra long, mounted as close to the center line as possible, on a kicker bracket. the question then becomes, how far below to the rub rail to mount the bracket, and do I need to reinforce the transom at all?

thanks
T

Sep 30, 2013
Catalina 27 Bluewater Bay Marina
Have you received any responses? If not, the PO had an awesome solution for mounting the motor on the back of my Catalina 27, with the hole cut-out transom. Let me know if you still need pics and I will sent it to you.
-Brett

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
We did beef up our transom on the inside after we cut thru shell on inside and added star board 1/2" and glassed it all in, no problem with our bracket and standard shaft, we store the dink motor and use it as a back up 5 hp all most hull speed on a calm day.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Here is the best photo I could find of the setup of our old 74'. She was a factory OB boat but had the bottom of the cutout teen forced with a stainless plate. Also in the well were two saddle tanks 6 gallons each. The long shaft motor could be tilted up out of the water when not in use or under sail.

The motor had trim tabs and was adjusted so it did not touch the rudder in reverse. I left the motor locked center and just used the rudder.

A really nice setup.

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
not factory set up she has been cut lower to water line and below ruder box, wow don't take any heavy water on!

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
No, she was factory but the bottom of the cut was redone in the past with the metal mount plate. Inside there is glassed pan that drains bellow the motor center line and she had high spots port and starboard to mount the fuel tanks. The top of the opening was cut higher. No motor beds, no inboard fuel tank or raw water thru hull, no shaft, no strut, no stuffing box, no fuel fill thru deck fitting, no controls or motor instruments in the cockpit.