Outboard Motor Bracket

borky

Aug 11, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Norman
We are the "new" owners of a 1985 Hunter 25.5 with a Tohatsu 9.8 electric start, 4 stroke, long shaft outboard. Attached is a picture of the setup. Is this the original mounting bracket used by Hunter and if so, will it handle this engine weight/torque/hp? We will not be trailering the boat. Opinions seem divided from what we have read.

Second, if this bracket is appropriate for the motor, how in the heck do you lift the motor to the upright position? Our last boat had a bracket with a handle and made it alot easier than this setup.
Thanks,
borky

Attachments

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
The lever sticking up from the bracket, just in front of the engine should have a bolt (or similar) at the top giving it a "T" shape. This is what's usually used to lift the engine.

No idea regarding the other question.

Matt

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The horsepower of the engine is of minor consideration on the motor mount but the weight is the factor to consider. I do not know the weight rating for the motor mount of a 1985 h25.5 but would venture too say that it was rated for a 10 to 15 HP of the era. Most were 2 stroke and weighed around 70 lbs. Now you have a 4 stroke engine that weighs around 100 lbs. When they rate a motor mount for let's say 70 lbs. they take into consideration that the load under boat motion in adverse condition might reach double the rated weight. So if the old mount was made to withstand 140 lbs it can handle the weight of the 100 lbs. engine in normal conditions but the mount is old and its capacity may have diminished and may not handle the load the new engine may impose in adverse conditions. I would be concerned about the added weight on transom and would make sure there is large backing plate to distribute the added weight. There is always the possibility in a 1985 boat that the motor mount may have been replaced at some point and that it may be perfectly adequate. There is no simple answer, see if there are any markings to identify manufacturer and model, or see if you can match the mount to any in current use. Perform a thorough check to insure there are no showings of metal fatigue in the arms, bolts, springs and any rivets. It has always been my philosophy to treat older boats gently as not to break any equipment. To resume, your mount can likely handle the extra weight but it would be prudent not to abuse it. Yhe use of a safety cable is always encouraged.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Benny hit it on the nailhead. As for the earlier two stroke engines, they were lighter and then due to federal requirements by 2006, the use of four stroke which were heavier engines was required with the older two stroke being grandfathered in. First the bracket in the photo was not supplied by Hunter. From all appearences it is the one designed for the two stroke lighter engines. I suggest getting the newer bracket for the heavier four stroke engine should your search indicates that is for a two stroke engine. One thing is the difference in the size of the springs.

borky

Aug 11, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Norman
Thanks for all the replies. We are headed to the boat later today and will inspect for any manufacturers name/model. I would agree that this mount is for a two stroke because the springs certainly provided very little help when I lifted the engine to the upright position. At this point it seems we can 1) change out the bracket and use the current engine, 2) keep the current bracket setup and downsize to a lighter, smaller engine 3) change out the bracket and downsize engine 4) go without an engine - possible in the lake and marina we are in, or 5) do nothing - not an option. After a closer and "enlightened" inspection later today, I hope to arrive at a decision.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Lake Norman seems to be a fair size lake with branches that reach out some distance. Do not dismiss the usefulness of a good engine like you currently have. I think your best option would be to replace the motor mount and backing plate and keep the engine you have.