Outboard lock.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
That may do it. Were it a name brand I'd jump on it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have the black model, about 6 years old, no rust, appears to be painted-over chrome or galvanized. They make it very difficult to get the motor off without profiling as a dirty-rotten vandal. Very stout. You need to place some isolation bumpers on it, the thing rattles against the motor mount it is attached to and creates a racket.

Jan 16, 2011
Hunter 23.5 El Dorado Lake
We just had several motors stolen while the boats were in the slips. On my 23.5 the padlock was snipped off and another boat had the motor mount board unbolted and removed with the motor. I'm going for the two piece "Outboard Motor Lock" rec. by Rick Macdonald but does anyone have a solution to keep the motor mounting board secure? Security bolts won't work since there are no nuts on the backside. What about putting extra bolts through the board and transom with security bolts? All ideas welcome!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I just mentioned to a friend a couple of days ago that I think a "Sawsall" or similar could just cut through the wooden mounting board?

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Had one on my 23.5,years ago ,was camping in Mi,boat in water,they actually unbolted mounting block,stole it with motor,got to give them credit !!!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Had one on my 23.5,years ago ,was camping in Mi,boat in water,they actually unbolted mounting block,stole it with motor,got to give them credit !!!
Good attitude. Don't know if I could be that introspective.

Jan 16, 2011
Hunter 23.5 El Dorado Lake
As my teacher's used to say "That's not the answer I was looking for! ". :biggrin:I was thinking of mounting a steel strap along the top of the wooden mount block (under the motor) with a couple screws to discourage sawing through the block. Also covering the 4 mounting bolts with straps mounted with security bolts. I also saw a suggestion of taking your engine cover home each time and leaving cheap fabric cover in its place. But, like everyone says, "If they want your motor they'll get.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
For lazarets and cabin entries, I always liked the advice that that most locking mechanisms were only good enough to keep out your friends and family.