Outboard Engine bracket

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
I am trying to redo the wood on my engine mount. I notice the top two holes in the old wooden bracket are recessed approximately a inch, lower holes are flush, presumably to make everything more vertical, but its still not even close to being straight up and down. Is this correct ? I also noticed when the metal bracket is all the way down without any wood mounted to it, the bottom of bracket is pitched to bow and top is pitched to aft. Not sure what is the right way to do this. Can someone get me on the right track. Its a 5 hp engine going onto a 1986 mac 25. Thanks

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I also noticed when the metal bracket is all the way down without any wood mounted to it, the bottom of bracket is pitched to bow and top is pitched to aft...Its a 5 hp engine going onto a 1986 mac 25. Thanks
Does your outboard have any capability of adjusting its pitch?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The upper holes are recessed likely so the bolt heads do not interfere with the engine bracket when mounting. Regarding the pitch of the board base it can be offset by adjusting the trim angle on the outboard engine leg. The old board looks good perhaps all it needed was some refinishing.

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Yes, my outboard can pitch some. The picture doesn't show the damage of the old board, but on one side its all delaminated and rotted. Yes makes sense on the upper holes. I will just recess them enough to keep them out of the way.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The engine mount on my B235 was basically a 2 x 6, horizontal, that the engine's two screws clamped down on. The first time I dealt with it's aging, I coated it with epoxy. When I tightened down the clamps, the epoxy cracked, then leak. All too soon, it just came off the wood in large flakes. Looked like peanut brittle- hold the nuts. Stripped the (maple?) board again. This time I just slathered silicone caulk all over the board. Problem solved for a long time. Easy to patch up, too!

shine

Sep 14, 2009
I coated the wood in Polyester resin not Epoxy. I tried hitting it with a hammer real good in a few spots with no problems. I guess in time I will see if it does what your talking about.