Out of sight, out of mind?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I'm nearly certain I will never have to do again....here is a question...which would be best....epoxy or varnish?
Thank you to everyone for their suggestions. Pat
Both are overkill for that duty. That's why I recommended paint. Easier, less expensive, adequate for the duty. Go with enamel if you want more durability, but since the covers are rarely moved and stored under cushions, I recommend using whatever you have leftover from previous projects that is otherwise going to waste by sitting in your garage.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The reality of the situation is these are often exposed to moisture and when left wet with a wet cushion on top of them quickly delaminate. Thus the recommendation for epoxy to seal the plywood. That's why G10 or maybe starboard is a good alternative. You don't need a 4x8 sheet of G10. A 24 x 24 is 65 bucks and should make at least two covers maybe three or more. Leftovers can be used for backing plates when you replace your seacocks.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thank you! You have all given me more to think about than I expected....I think more than anything, it is a matter
of how long I expect it to last and the service-ability...it really doesn't do much but just lay there......??? Patrick

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Justin, we made our first ever trip to Lustercraft.....what a place...just what you would expect in an aircraft city...tons of places to visit down there....we did not get the corner radius measured before we left so we are going out this afternoon to take another measure.....two of the four corners have what looks to be about a 2 inch radius...will verify before bothering you.....thanks for your offer to help...Patrick

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I used 3/8" baltic birch plywood, and epoxy coated it. I ran a trim router with an 1/8th inch roundover bit around the top and bottom edges, including the finger hole in the middle. The extra thickness means I can kneel on them and they don't bow, and it is not enough to make any difference in the feel or appearance of the cushions above.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Justin, we had the cover made with a material they 'think' will work....I'm sure it will work....we are going to the lake today to check some corner radius that still needs to be cut.....(two corners only).....so I will know more when we get
back today....I'll give you a call at home this evening.....Patrick...p.s. thank you for your offer to cut the corners. Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Justin, we went to the boat yesterday and tried to measure the radii of the corners for the new cover....it was difficult to make a really accurate measurement but the corners (radii) seems to be approx. 1-1/4 inches....approx. the fiberglass has been designed to allow for approx. a 1 inch ledge all around so the chances of the cover falling thru this is very unlikely.....I'll give you a call in the next few days...thanks for your willingness to help....

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Pat, call Lustercraft and see what material they would recommend. They sometimes have scraps to sell too. 942-8451 .
I have a table saw if it can be cut.
I had LC make me covers for the J24 to replace the boards under the berths. Don't recall the precise amounts but they were pretty expensive. Plexiglass is not tough enough. I think the ones they made for the J were Lexan. Pretty big opening under the berths in the J to span so we needed a material that won't flex. And, I wanted them to be "See Through" so we could easily see what was in each hold. The idea of using Starboard is probably one I would explore if I did not need the "see through" aspect.

Attachments

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
J-Racer, we had Lustercraft cut them out of some very stiff material that should be fine once Justin get's the corner's trimmed......we had taken the old one's with us but I'm a little worried that these may be a bit thicker .....hopefully will
work....Lustercraft is quite the place...>I've heard of it all my life, but this was my first visit....How do I thank you for your gift.........really one of the best gifts I've ever received........thank you so much! when are you taking out? We are out on Nov. 4th...Hopefully...........Patrick

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I have been considering redoing these "hatches" on my '35. There are 10 of them on the 35, one of them is in the lazarette, and constantly gets wet. I have converted the area under the quarter berth to a battery compartment, and this area has two of these covers. G10 would be ideal for both of these areas. A 3' x 4' sheet of ¼" G10 is available from JD for ~$200. I should be able to cut 6 of them from this and never have to worry about it again.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
J-Racer, I never thought about the advantages of being able to see through the covers.....I should have...