Our 2003 C310!

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
My brake is centered on the wheel, not on the side of the pedestal

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
John, I don’t think it is built to be used as a slip clutch. Way to expensive to replace/repair if you wear it out.
Just engage the clutch fully when you need to step away for a minute.
Or
As Tom J says, use the wheel brake.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Cool, thanks I'll look at the wheel brake. Fixed the Dutchman today, still not sure but will give it a try for the season.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We got the Dutchman with our boat-Eileen does all the foredeck work and she is NOT a fan of it But we have agreed to settle for now with it...She is very particular about how the sail is folded...
She wants a stack pac and I do not...

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
This is my first season with a knock off stack pack. I’ve always had a traditional sail cover. I love how the sail falls into the stack pack with little effort. It leafs nicely. Today I decided to try reefing without raising the sail first. It worked perfectly. I couldn’t do that with the old system. The only negative I’ve noticed so far is that the pack tends to hold a little bit of water when we have a good downfall.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
@Hydro Therapy
Can you tell me who you went with or was it local? Everything I do for sails will be order as there is no local lofts.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Just a Dad and Daughter day, wind was predicted 5-10, so nothing we can't handle just the 2 of us. The start was pretty bad, with less then 3, but her birthday is Monday and Mom said keep her out of the house today. The low wind gave me a chance to adjust the Dutchman lines at least.

After a bit the wind picked up to 5-6 and gusting started to pick up 10-15. Now we had something to work with. Soon we had 10 pretty constant and gusting 12-15. Full sails up in 10+ seems pretty happy and not to stressful. Got to work our new traveler lines and work on getting trim and speed results. Totally a fun time, and good confidence building day. Abby saw 6 knts on our speed while she was at the helm, so that is a record for us!

Storm clouds and warnings started to show up so figured time to head for the slip. Of course we forgot sailing action pics, but took a few post chilling out in AC and ate some snacks and drinks!
20190629_153328.jpg 20190629_153356.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Making memories. That’s what it’s all about. Glad your enjoying the new to you boat. I like reading your thread.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Oh, we did discover the wheel brake today and it worked really well. Actually didn't us autopilot today, just set a bit of drag and it really help Abby and I on the helm.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Ordering new boom vange line, mine seems to have 2 different sizes. The on to the cockpit it is 5/16 the other on the vang seems larger meaaured at 7/16. Larger line seems too big for the sheaves. According to Cataline direct this is suppose to be both 5/16, curious if this was a PO change or is this the same as others.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It does look bigger. Looks like it might have been spliced there. Connecting to lengths of line together.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
No the larger line is connected to the blocks under the vang and run up the vang tubes(?) and connect. The smaller line goes back and forth in the blocks and leads to the cockpit. I really think that large line is a mistake or was a temp repair that wasn't put back correctly. I didn't take a very good picture of the total setup, I was just looking at the size and snapped it real quick after I measured everything.