Original space for holding tank...

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Hunter 43 Legend 0000 Marina del Rey
This may seem like an odd question, but I am a bit stumped. I removed a ruptured holding tank from what I thought was the original space for a holding tank in a 1991 Legend 43. I went to the Hunter website this morning to get technical drawings for a new tank, and was surprised to see that the technical drawing depicted a tank that could not possibly fit into the space where I thought it was supposed to go. The tank drawing looked like it might possibly fit under the sole of the nav station. The tank I removed was under the sole of the salon on the starboard side. Was the original waste tank under the nav station?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I removed a ruptured holding tank from what I thought was the original space for a holding tank in a 1991 Legend 43.
Somebody ignored the symptoms that the tank was becoming pressurized due to a blocked vent!

Hunter did put tanks under the nav station in some boats, but it's horrible location for a whole bunch of reasons....which is most likely one of the reasons a PO put a replacement tank in a different location, (other possible reasons being that he may have wanted a larger tank than would fit under the nav station..or if the boat has two heads at opposite ends of the boat, to shorten the line from one of the toilets to the tank...or, '91 was about the time Hunter was transitioning from aluminum tanks to plastic, so it could have been leaking aluminum tank...) However, under the sole is a location that's not much better because it's too low in the boat to be able to use passive ventilation (larger, straighter vent line) to prevent odor by keeping the tank aerobic. I'd put the replacement IN a settee.

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. The sbo.com online store discounts Ronco's prices, so when you've selected the tank from the Ronco catalog, give Dave a call for a price and to order it.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Hi Rob, I have a 1991 Passage 42, which I believe to be the same hull as the 1991 Legend 43. I never investigated that myself, but have been told that by several of the early model Legend 43 owners. My holding tank is also located under the sole of the salon on the starboard side. (The hull vent is located just a couple of feet above the tank, and is a straight run upward). Since the hulls are identical, that is the same spot between those stringers. I had to replace my (aluminum) holding tank some time ago due to corrosion--it just deteriorated away. (There were several reasons for the corrosion, not the least of which were the bronze fittings in the aluminum tank). As you no doubt know by now, the aluminum tanks on our early Hunters just don't last--for either waste or water. I agree with Peggy about the desirability of using plastic, but I ended up having a stainless steel replacement made (which also works fine). I used the dimensions from the Hunter drawing as well.

Good luck,
Paul

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I'll second Peggie's recommendation of Ronco Plastics. I bought a tank from them in 2012. They were a pleasure ot deal with and the tank has has been flawless.

Matt

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks for all the replies...Ronco plastics didn't have what I needed. I am going to build a mockup, and take it to a fabricator. Custom stainless is the route I am going...

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks but I live on my boat, and my salon looks like someone rolled a frag into it...I can't wait any longer. Plus, all of the technical drawings I have seen for tanks don't come anywhere close to fitting in the space. Making my own mockup, and taking it to a local fab guy eliminates any potential issues.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Triple M is a CUSTOM fabricator...you'd send a drawing to them instead of a mockup. And you might get it faster than a steel fabricator would be able to "shoe horn" you into their production schedule.

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Again...a sincere thanks, but I am going to stay local...dealing with someone a couple of timezones away holds no appeal to me.

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
I had a chat with Gareth at Duraweld this morning...he is on the case. I should have a custom tank in about 4 weeks. I will update with pics when it comes in.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Duraweld's standard wall thickness is only 1/4". They will build a tank with 3/8' walls for an upcharge. It's worth the extra cost because 3/8" walls can support the weight of the contents without bulging or requiring that all walls be supported.

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Thanks Peggy...I emailed them last night asking to make my tank with 3/8 thickness...received a prompt return email this morning stating that they build all of their tanks with 3/8 walls.

Rob G

Dec 12, 2017
Dura-Weld shipped my tank this week. They have been super easy to deal with, and my custom tank was built/shipped for 600 bucks total. We have been able to replace all of our sanitation hoses, vent, and holding tank for around 750-800 bucks. We documented the process here www.svartemis.wordpress.com

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I have a 1996 Legend 37.5. After purchasing five years ago I ended up having to replace both the holding and fuel tanks. I did not have to replace the fuel tank until after I replaced the holding tank. I had found a poly tank for the holding tank that would fit tin the space of the original aluminum holding tank but with 10 galons less capacity and a bit of replumbing. When I went to replace the fuel tank I learned from the website that hunter still used the original manufacturer for the fuel tanks. I was got a hold of them and not only could they build me a new tank with thicker walls, they had the blueprints for the tank that was put on my boat. Not only did they build me a new tank, they made a modification at my request that made installation easier. I only wish I had known about the original manufacturer when I did my holding tank. The cost of the fuel tank was in the same price range as any tank I was looking at to replae the fuel tank. I am at home and do not have the information who the original manufacturer is. If my feeble and and cluttered mind (right?) can remember to get the information on my laptop at the boat I will do so if you would like me to.