Registered users don't see ads

Original space for holding tank...

Discussion in 'Big Boats' started by Rob G, Apr 12, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    0000 Artemis US Marina del Rey
    This may seem like an odd question, but I am a bit stumped. I removed a ruptured holding tank from what I thought was the original space for a holding tank in a 1991 Legend 43. I went to the Hunter website this morning to get technical drawings for a new tank, and was surprised to see that the technical drawing depicted a tank that could not possibly fit into the space where I thought it was supposed to go. The tank drawing looked like it might possibly fit under the sole of the nav station. The tank I removed was under the sole of the salon on the starboard side. Was the original waste tank under the nav station?

2. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,663 posts, 422 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Somebody ignored the symptoms that the tank was becoming pressurized due to a blocked vent!

Hunter did put tanks under the nav station in some boats, but it's horrible location for a whole bunch of reasons....which is most likely one of the reasons a PO put a replacement tank in a different location, (other possible reasons being that he may have wanted a larger tank than would fit under the nav station..or if the boat has two heads at opposite ends of the boat, to shorten the line from one of the toilets to the tank...or, '91 was about the time Hunter was transitioning from aluminum tanks to plastic, so it could have been leaking aluminum tank...) However, under the sole is a location that's not much better because it's too low in the boat to be able to use passive ventilation (larger, straighter vent line) to prevent odor by keeping the tank aerobic. I'd put the replacement IN a settee.

Ronco Plastics Ronco Plastics marine Tanks (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. The sbo.com online store discounts Ronco's prices, so when you've selected the tank from the Ronco catalog, give Dave a call for a price and to order it.

Rob G likes this.
  3. Paul Cossman

Paul Cossman

Joined Jul 25, 2004
    312 posts, 11 likes
    Hunter 42
    US currently in New Zealand
    Hi Rob, I have a 1991 Passage 42, which I believe to be the same hull as the 1991 Legend 43. I never investigated that myself, but have been told that by several of the early model Legend 43 owners. My holding tank is also located under the sole of the salon on the starboard side. (The hull vent is located just a couple of feet above the tank, and is a straight run upward). Since the hulls are identical, that is the same spot between those stringers. I had to replace my (aluminum) holding tank some time ago due to corrosion--it just deteriorated away. (There were several reasons for the corrosion, not the least of which were the bronze fittings in the aluminum tank). As you no doubt know by now, the aluminum tanks on our early Hunters just don't last--for either waste or water. I agree with Peggy about the desirability of using plastic, but I ended up having a stainless steel replacement made (which also works fine). I used the dimensions from the Hunter drawing as well.

Good luck,
    Paul

Rob G likes this.
  4. py26129

py26129

Joined Oct 25, 2011
    563 posts, 86 likes
    Island Packet IP31
    CA Lake St. Louis, Montreal
    I'll second Peggie's recommendation of Ronco Plastics. I bought a tank from them in 2012. They were a pleasure ot deal with and the tank has has been flawless.

Matt

5. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    Thanks for all the replies...Ronco plastics didn't have what I needed. I am going to build a mockup, and take it to a fabricator. Custom stainless is the route I am going...

6. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,663 posts, 422 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Before you do that, get a quote from Triple M Plastics Triple M Plastic Products Inc They've made custom welded tanks for a number of people here, all of whom recommend 'em highly. And their prices are reasonable.

7. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    Thanks but I live on my boat, and my salon looks like someone rolled a frag into it...I can't wait any longer. Plus, all of the technical drawings I have seen for tanks don't come anywhere close to fitting in the space. Making my own mockup, and taking it to a local fab guy eliminates any potential issues.

8. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,663 posts, 422 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Triple M is a CUSTOM fabricator...you'd send a drawing to them instead of a mockup. And you might get it faster than a steel fabricator would be able to "shoe horn" you into their production schedule.

9. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    Again...a sincere thanks, but I am going to stay local...dealing with someone a couple of timezones away holds no appeal to me.

10. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    I had a chat with Gareth at Duraweld this morning...he is on the case. I should have a custom tank in about 4 weeks. I will update with pics when it comes in.

11. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,663 posts, 422 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Duraweld's standard wall thickness is only 1/4". They will build a tank with 3/8' walls for an upcharge. It's worth the extra cost because 3/8" walls can support the weight of the contents without bulging or requiring that all walls be supported.

12. Rob G

Rob G

Joined Dec 12, 2017
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Hunter 43 Legend
    Thanks Peggy...I emailed them last night asking to make my tank with 3/8 thickness...received a prompt return email this morning stating that they build all of their tanks with 3/8 walls.

13. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,663 posts, 422 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    They seem to have made some changes in the last year or so.