Original interior teak finish used by O'Day factory in 1982?

Apr 3, 2018
O'day 25 cb Mosquito Creek
New member from Iowa here, with a 1982 OMC Saildrive 25' centerboard O'Day that I am refitting. Does any of you know what finish the factory used on interior teak plywood? My boats plywood is in faily good shape with a bit of water stains down low from bilge water. I want to think factory used a tung oil hand rubbed from its look. I want to protect plywood with out a lot of work or time. It would be awesome and easy to apply a top coat of same finish if I only knew what it was the factory used way back in 1982! Thanks

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
I don't know what the original finish is, but I used Teak oil for first two or three seasons owning my 23. Then I bit the bullet and marine varnished everything. The marine varnish is the way to go long term for the interior, looks great and is no maintenance. Double check your bulk heads at the top where the chain plates come through the deck for leaks and rot. Poke around the water stains at the bottom for the same. It is a great boat enjoy.

Apr 3, 2018
Thanks for the replies guys! First thing I noticed when I slid open the hatch on my sailboat when I bought her was her DRY BILGES, LACK OF MILDEW, STAIN FREE BULK HEADS. I could not close the deal fast enough! So she is all good on any wet wood and her deck and chain plates are water tight Scott, I would walked just like I have from the last 20 sailboats I went to check out. All of them had extensive water\freeze damage! Im in love with a fine varnish finish but short of time\cash so I am leaning more towards quick\easy oil finish but want to use same oil finish factory used. Sorry Lance but I avoid Wally Weird like the plague especially for mari supplies!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
We were told that the product used by O'Day on the interiors was Marimac Lacquer....In fact they furnished us a bottle
which disappeared many years ago.....since then we have used various teak oils which mostly work well too. I would also check with Rudy Nickerson at D & R
Marine in Massachusetts. Pat

Apr 3, 2018
Thanks Pat for the info about Rudy, I really appreciate it! I had read about a guy who used to work at O'Day yard in Punta Gorda, Maine. But i could not remember his name. Now Im more informed and I can surf web then if I cant find what I want I will bother Rudy.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Punta Gorda, Maine?? Never heard of it........ But, I have heard of Assonet, MA which is where Rudy lives and works. O'DAY was in Fall River, MA, about 5 miles from Rudy's shop (not sure of actual distance, but a short trip down highway Route 24!
Maybe you are thinking of the name of the Parent company for O'DAY from 1966-84, Bangor-Punta Marine, BPM also owned Jensen Marine (CAL and RANGER), Starcraft, LUHRS, and ULRICHSON.
Rudy can be reached at (508) 644-3001 and in general, know a lot about O'DAYs since he was the Parts Dept Manager from 1973-89. Great source for info and parts!

BruceC

Oct 6, 2008
Oday 26 So. Orleans
If the interior teak is in good condition I would simply use lemon oil to bring out luster. At base of bulkheads where there may be some discoloration due to water, you could apply teak oil. I doubt if factory used hand rubbed finish; on a Hinckley maybe, but not an O'Day we are talking about a Chevrolet of production boats here.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
It really doesn’t matter what O'Day originally used.
For interior teak, use semigloss polyurethane and save yourself a lot of work.
For exterior teak, you have to use teak oil (again and again) as the sun will cook the varnish.