Original CDI furler

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Hi,

Anyone have a downloadable manual for what i am assuming is the original style CDI furler? It's not the Flexible Furler model. It's the one with the metal foil that is in sections and the drum does not have the stainless cover. Mine is binding on my new (to me) 37 cutter and I'm wondering if the drum can be taken apart while still on the mast to inspect any bearings or anything else on the lower end to see if there is anything that can be done to improve the situation. I tried looking at CDI site but didn't find the manual for the older furler.

Thanks,

Manny

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I know that I have taken the drum apart several times while the whole deal is attached, i.e. to the deck and mast connections......and both times I've done it, I put it back together with no issues...you have to be careful when removing the nuts and bolts from the drum because it is easy to drop the pieces in the water....(i.e. at least in my situation)...but I've done it twice with no issues...you have to hold the little hex nut with you finger while you unscrew the bolt (I use the term
loosely)...just do one at a time (the nut removal, and again keep holding the nut as you remove the bolt...I do remember using an ice pick to help avoid dropping any loose parts into the lake. I'm going to look in my book to see if I have any of the instructions.....maybe you can pull your boat forward into the slip (maximum) and place a pan or something under the deck at the bow to catch any parts that may try to fall....but you can do it....The slots where the nuts go are deep enought that the nuts don't try to fall out......I also believe that if you call cruising design corp. they will fed ex you spare nuts, and bolts, etc.....what you don't want to have happen is to drop the nut or bolts in the water ..I think there are very thin washers needed as well, but not if you don't lose any of them...Good louck, .Patrick inWichita

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks Pat. Good to know it can be disassembled while on the forestay. By chance do you recall if there is some sort of bearing in there that needs occasional servicing or lubrication? I did send a message to CDI to see if they have a scan they could send me. Hopefully they do and will let me know this coming week.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi,

Anyone have a downloadable manual for what i am assuming is the original style CDI furler? It's not the Flexible Furler model. It's the one with the metal foil that is in sections and the drum does not have the stainless cover. Mine is binding on my new (to me) 37 cutter and I'm wondering if the drum can be taken apart while still on the mast to inspect any bearings or anything else on the lower end to see if there is anything that can be done to improve the situation. I tried looking at CDI site but didn't find the manual for the older furler.

Thanks,

Manny
Is this the one with the internal wire halyard? If so, mine would bind up if I put too much tension on the bottom tack line. Made some noise and was hard to turn. Loosened the tack a little, and she works fine.

Greg

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hi Greg,

I believe the halyard is wire but i have to check next time i'm down. My 27 has the flexible furler model and that has an internal wire halyard as well. I'll have to try loosening the tension and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the tip. If it is something that simple i would be really happy.

Manny

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
There was no bearing race or chase (or whatever it is called) on mine which was the original furler which you described
perfectly above.... metal sections with the internal grooved tenions or whatever they were called by cruising design....the later models could be purchased with bearings but mine is the old original......I may still have the papers that came with it to be installed on the O'day 272 LE...still works & is nearly fool proof....I like it because if I have an overwrap I can go forward and fix it without any issues.(other than sliding off the boat)...other than the need to hold on..Patrick. My halyard is rope by the way....

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2004
- - barnget bay
Thanks Pat. Good to know it can be disassembled while on the forestay. By chance do you recall if there is some sort of bearing in there that needs occasional servicing or lubrication? I did send a message to CDI to see if they have a scan they could send me. Hopefully they do and will let me know this coming week.
There are no bearings in my Reefer II. You can take the drum apart- in 2 pieces. but but there is nothing to service or lube. I called CDI several times but no parts are available.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I also had the Reefer II , on a previous boat,and used to take the drum apart every 2 years. I did grease the bearing surfaces for the drum, which seemed to make some difference in how smoothly the furler operated.

Having said that, the Harken furler we have on our current boat, is much smoother and easier to operate than the CDI ever was.

Matt

Aug 11, 2017
O'day 37 long beach, CA
You can pack the inside of the drum with winch grease (sparingly), but your best option is to upgrade to the FlexiFurler drum. You can use the existing rigid foil sections. The new drum has teflon(?) ball bearings and runs much easier than the original.

Dec 8, 2013
Hunter / Aragosa 34 / 32 831 Toronto
I have the original paper manual for the Reefer II system, and a PDF file w.r.t. an upgrade from the latch system to the internal halyard. PDF file is uploaded. If you want a copy of the paper manual, I can arrange to send it to you. (?)

Attachments

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Thanks all! If the rain stays away this weekend i'll try and get down and see if i can take it apart and clean it and try some lubricant and loosening the halyard as well.

PeacheyKeen - thanks for the offer. If it turns out i need it i'll send a pm.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
original paper manual for the Reefer II system
I have been wondering about a REEFER II System, ever since Oregon permitted recreational use. :) Did not know there was a manual. :laugh: Not for personal use. :yikes: Still a Federal No No... But just curious... :cool: