Optimal angle of heel

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I see what you mean about reducing wetted surface area, but they never seem to talk about wetted sail area

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Apparently my B&G Vulcan system has the ZG100 engine built into it. My vendor is suggesting a B&G Precision 9 compass if I want to make it even more accurate. If I am not racing at a high level, is it really worth it to be a tiny bit more accurate?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You will trim the sails, and the boat will spring forward and heel over to an angle it likes, and you are "in the groove".
That's the answer! With the correct sails up, you will feel her lunge forward, and heel over smartly, to precisely where she wants to be. It feels like a tuning fork humming in your loins. And she'll point like nobody's business.

Just keep a hand on the mainsheet though, because she is now just a sneeze away from rounding up.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
When I asked my B&G dealer about adding the ZG100 he told me not to bother because it is built into my. Vulcan chart plotter. He said That if I wanted better results than the standard Vulcan accuracy then I would have to get a Precision 9 compass not the ZG100.

Feb 16, 2017
Vulcan, nor the Zeus has a compass built-in. What your seeing is a course over ground which doesn't separate true heading, vs. heading over the ground by removing set and drift.
Example sitting at the dock when the Vulcan/Zeus is on, the location icon is bouncing around. That bouncing around the GPS locating itself with-in the circle of accuracy, that can be within 20-30 feet or smaller depending on total Satellites the unit is locked in on.
With the ZG100 this will remove the bouncing around and provide the unit with a magnetic Heading from the sensor. This also provides set and drift (magnetic direction and speed of the water, providing the speed transducer is connected as well) and then if you have the wind anemometer on the masthead it will provide to you true magnetic wind and apparent direction and true/apparent wind speeds. With all of these connected together and then connect an autopilot with a nmea2000 data link and the boat will almost sail it itself by a number of different ways. True wind, apparent direction, via a waypoint either by compass direction or course over the ground or by laylines.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
You bring up a lot of really good points. My dealer did say that adding a compass would improve the generated data, but add the Precision 9 not the ZG100.

I am trying to be somewhat practical in adding instruments to a Capri 22. I have a B&G Vulcan 9 chart plotter, B&G WS320 wireless wind indicator, an in hull depth puck, and a Simrad TP-22 Tiller Pilot (which only steers to apparent wind, not true wind). I am relying on the GPS in the Vulcan for speed rather than putting a through hole speed sensor. This is probably about the most high tech instrument package on a Capri 22 already, and my thought was that adding even more would be so overkill that even I think it is too much.

What instruments do you have on your Capri 22?

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
My boat dealer swears that the GPS speed is more accurate than a through hull sensor, my B&G dealer disagrees. We ultimately decided that for my cruising and Wednesday night beer can racing, the GPS speed would suffice.

To me the advantage of having both speed sensors is that you can see the current that you are in. I will be sailing on a lake with no current so I do not see a need for both inputs.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
I have been hemming and hawing about getting the Precision 9 and had decided not to, but now you have me thinking again.

Feb 16, 2017
The unit you have is a fine piece of equipment, maximize it. Your boat dealer is incorrect in stating it is more accurate than a sensor or paddle wheel. There is a time delay with the paddle wheel and provide you a more consistant average over 5-10 seconds. Your B&G rep is correct, and so are you! You will find that the lake has a current that current is moving all over the place at different speeds and directions. Remember when the wind blows it moves water from one to the other the lake, that goes somewhere, I have seen Lake Michigan raise 3' in Chicago like a bathtub just takes longer. I have seen the Chesapeake Bay lower 3-5 feet in a northerly breeze. When water flows in from rivers and is released at the dam the water is moving not as much as the ocean but it's moving.
It will not hurt to have it and will provide you with peace of mind. If you are racing without a beer in your hand you will look every tenth of a knot, you won't find it without it!