Opinions: Upgrades needed to get 22 ready for Bahama crossi

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 26, 2013
Catalina United States High Cliff State Park
Re: Opinions: Upgrades needed to get 22 ready for Bahama cro

I think it's fine that everyone is giving him words or warning. And, I agree one cannot be too careful. But, acting like he is doomed to be eaten by some mythical sea monster is also irresponsible, in my hopefully humble opinion. Size of vessel has NOTHING to do with seaworthiness. The Edmund Fitzgerald was 729 feet long and was blasted to the bottom of Lake Superior in seconds with 29 skeletons now resting in her rusting innards. Incapacitation could happen on any boat, but is an extremely rare event, on a cruising boat, not taking about racing. I think one could make it to Bimini without being blasted in the head with the boom. Honestly, I would have more trepidation crossing the street in rush hour traffic the way people drive these days. The proper precautions, an apt skipper, and the perfect weather window and monitoring. Unless the poles shift and suddenly there is reverse gravity and we're all shoved out into space I think he will do ok. Maybe the first time he could hook up with other boats that are going, there is no better precaution that having friends nearby. But, as I am sure you guys are far more knowledgeable than I, I'll shut up. Fair winds!

Jan 13, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Champlain

What's this? A reasoned response?

Why break the chain of nay-sayer negativity.

Perhaps you too crewed on the Kon-Tiki voyage?

BTW, the original post was over two freakin' years ago!

In that time-frame, he sailed around the world 3 times in an inner tube with a baby, four children under 16, the dog and cat and his wife. All are fine except for the dog. He doesn't eat barnacles and so, lost a few pounds. ;)

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
In that time-frame, he sailed around the world 3 times in an inner tube

I'm glad you mentioned this. I am having trouble with my inner tube boat. Can you tell me which stay is the front, rear, and shrouds? Does it even have a port or starboard? Man this thing confuses me!

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
If you increase the weight of the mast you risk destroying the boats ability to right itself from a knockdown. I would not add weight aloft. I don't see a reason to deviate from Catalina's running rigging standards, just use good line.

Carrying 10-12 gallons of H2O should be easy. Carry it in small bottles to avoid free surface effect problems.

The Tohatsu 6hp sail pro is such a deal that it it is worth looking at, it has an alternator, a prop chosen for a sail boat and an extra long shaft. It is not a 2 stroke, but it has a lot of good features. Go with dual batteries.

I'd verify and probably reinforce all backings for the mooring cleats and cockpit winches. I'd consider carrying a drogue of some sort to trail astern attached to the winches. I would think about ways to add access to the dead storage area on the stbd side under the cockpit, perhaps a good watertight hatch on the stbd seat base. Read Moitessier for ways to add wind vane steering cheaply.

As requested, only mod talk, no judgment, besides, I am guilty of a couple of 'discussable' sailing destinations.

Best of Luck
OC

May 26, 2013

That's funny, your right. I wonder if he ever did go?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..

It only started in March of this year, not sure of the two year thing.

He said he's starting with a bare hull, the mast is probably not stepped yet..

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
And as I recall, he was planning many months ahead because he had a prolonged leave from work coming. I think he had almost a year to work it out.

I think it would be a fun camping adventure for 1, or 2 people who are very close! Just the Bahamas and back. But 3 in a boat that small... Yuck! Just my opinion, but I'd bring lots of deodorant. Also, I'd rather do it in Fall or Winter down there. Trying to sleep moored off an island in Summer... Hot! And buggy! Just walking on the beach on Abaco in early evening brings a swarm of NoSeeUms and mosquitos. Uugghh! Hate those NoSeeUms! Gives me the heebeejeebees just thinkin' about 'em! Grrrr!

I don't know why, but we didn't get bothered by them as much as kids in Florida. They would still get us sometimes in the evening, but not as much. I wonder if it was because we were grimy and sweaty from playing on the beach and in the mangrove and Australian Pine stands all day?

Oh well. I hope he and his family have fun and return safely.

Thanks,

Andrew

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
If you increase the weight of the mast you risk destroying the boats ability to right itself from a knockdown. I would not add weight aloft. I don't see a reason to deviate from Catalina's running rigging standards, just use good line.....
The Tohatsu 6hp sail pro is such a deal that it it is worth looking at, it has an alternator, a prop chosen for a sail boat and an extra long shaft. It is not a 2 stroke, but it has a lot of good features. Go with dual batteries.
Perhaps the best route may be to leave the mast at home and mount two of those 6 Hp Tohatsu's astearn.
I'm sure that this person has had enough sense to check into the issue of navigating, weather and the gulf stream current. So, that's not a problem.
BTW: No one has mentioned the disposition of the adult female. Is she a capable hand aboard or is she there for the fun times? I would prefer two good adult sailors on a boat during 20+ hours of non-stop sailing to cover anything other than basic sailing issues that need to be addressed.

From doing a bit of research on this, it can be viewed by some as nothing much to go from Fla. to Bahamas. They have said online that jet skis have done it. :dance:
I've actually been tempted to check out the one resort in Key Largo that actually supplies their lodgers with C22s. That would give me some fun/sun experience with the dolphins and manatees. Anyone tried this??:
http://www.keylimesailingclub.com/yorboat2.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQP3DflCDis
This following vid isn't from the Bahamas crossing but it is kinda funny. Particularly, his last stoic comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNabB0-XVM

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I want something more off shore capable, not across ocean capable but tow down the florida, drop in the water then sail over to the bahamas, maybe around cuba and down to Belize along with many other island locations dotting from the bahamas all the way down to the ABC's

I'm fine sailing around the keys for a week or 3 for a window to head to mexico's yucatan or heading up toward miami to set across for the cays.

For two adults and 1 child what size water tank and waste holding tank would you suggest?

Its astounding to me how many here see absolutely no problem forcing a kid along on this journey in a Cat 22.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Its astounding to me how many here see absolutely no problem forcing a kid along on this journey in a Cat 22.
I am so tired of this nanny state bs. Do you "force" your kid to ride in the car with you? Because that has a far, orders of magnitude farther, greater risk of resulting in serious injury or death. So unless you keep your kid in a bubble, shut up already about the poor kid. It's his kid, his choice. You have expressed your concern. Move on.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas

Well sir, sorry to tell you, but almost every state and civilized country today has laws on child endangerment. Heck, he couldnt even sail that boat if he was in Europe. The coast guard has a few thousand men and women cruising the waters looking for these idiots, and plucking them out to safety. I am not now, but was a volunteer firefighter for a few years. Got called at all hours of the night to crawl out of bed to help some moron. yes, moron. Because only a moron neglects their wood stove, burns pine wood logs until the stacks full of creosote, lets it catch fire, and then calls 911 because they have no clue how to put it out. Only morons drive drunk and run off the road and hurt and kill their innocent child passengers, who we have to cut out of their car, and then tell them their daddy is dead. Only morons drive their bike 100 mph into a curve and head on into some persons car and kill themselves on someones hood. It was my job to help shovel the bikers brains off the road, and wash the blood and spinal fluid off the highway with a fire hose, so when you drove by an hour later with your kids in YOUR car and gave me the finger for holding up traffic so long, you wouldnt even know what happened and wouldnt slip on the goo.

Your tired of the nanny state? The morons of the world GAVE us the nanny state. I dont personally give a damn about his kid, your kid, or anyone else's kid. You want to endanger them, go ahead. They dont need nanny helmets to ride a bicycle or seatbelts or any other safety junk. What im tired of, is that everytime some moron kills his kid or gives it brain damage, it gives the nannies more ammunition to make more nanny laws to protect us from ourselves. They already have cars that park themselves because people are to stupid to know how to drive, now they want to hand all the driving over to a computer. Because of all the stupid drivers out there. If you dont like nanny laws, then as a sailor, and as sailors, if thats what we call ourselves here, we should maybe try acting a bit smarter about how we do things, and call each other out when they are about to do something really stupid. Because if we dont, if you dont give a damn what anyone else does, then dont be surprised in the future when the nannies make more laws for you to follow, and more regulations and permits to do what you wish to do.

Every time there is an accidental death, a boat accident, a plane accident, a motorcycle accident, everytime the CG plucks someone out of the water, every time someone drowns, there is a statistic for some nanny to read and ponder new laws to prevent it. I cant stop the nannies, but maybe us guys and gals here can lower the statistics? Just a thought.

But I will say this. If someone was planning to take my daughter on this proposed trip, as planned, it would be over my dead body.

May 26, 2013
Wow. I bet your fun at a party.

I think your forgetting, first of all, that not everyone, contrary to popular belief, is a moron. Is someone who climbs Everest a moron? Is someone who drives a race car a moron? Is a police officer or a soldier a moron, as he could certainly get blasted any night on the job? I think not. Life has risk, and trying to NERF the whole goddam world down so your little pissant kid can be safe, now that's moronic. Modern life has lost enough of it's adventuring spirit, without everyone acting like they should be terrified to breathe and never go outside.

Second, You said you were in service of some kind? Right? Well...guess what...that's what your for! It's your job to get your lazy ass up in the middle of the night and go help the guy who's chimney is on fire, it's their job for the CG to come out and help people or pluck them from their boats. Things happen. Who at some point in their life didn't get into something a little over their heads and need a hand? I don't think a service job was the right place for you. You have to care about people more than you care about yourself and help them the best you can even if the reason they need the help is somehow a little negligent. If your going to whine every time you have to do your job what does that make you. I will leave it in peoples imaginations to come up with the word.

If I was this guy I would take every precaution, load up and head out. More power to ya man. More power to ya.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Well sir, sorry to tell you, but almost every state and civilized country today has laws on child endangerment. Heck, he couldnt even sail that boat if he was in Europe. The coast guard has a few thousand men and women cruising the waters looking for these idiots, and plucking them out to safety. I am not now, but was a volunteer firefighter for a few years. Got called at all hours of the night to crawl out of bed to help some moron. yes, moron. Because only a moron neglects their wood stove, burns pine wood logs until the stacks full of creosote, lets it catch fire, and then calls 911 because they have no clue how to put it out. Only morons drive drunk and run off the road and hurt and kill their innocent child passengers, who we have to cut out of their car, and then tell them their daddy is dead. Only morons drive their bike 100 mph into a curve and head on into some persons car and kill themselves on someones hood. It was my job to help shovel the bikers brains off the road, and wash the blood and spinal fluid off the highway with a fire hose, so when you drove by an hour later with your kids in YOUR car and gave me the finger for holding up traffic so long, you wouldnt even know what happened and wouldnt slip on the goo.

Your tired of the nanny state? The morons of the world GAVE us the nanny state. I dont personally give a damn about his kid, your kid, or anyone else's kid. You want to endanger them, go ahead. They dont need nanny helmets to ride a bicycle or seatbelts or any other safety junk. What im tired of, is that everytime some moron kills his kid or gives it brain damage, it gives the nannies more ammunition to make more nanny laws to protect us from ourselves. They already have cars that park themselves because people are to stupid to know how to drive, now they want to hand all the driving over to a computer. Because of all the stupid drivers out there. If you dont like nanny laws, then as a sailor, and as sailors, if thats what we call ourselves here, we should maybe try acting a bit smarter about how we do things, and call each other out when they are about to do something really stupid. Because if we dont, if you dont give a damn what anyone else does, then dont be surprised in the future when the nannies make more laws for you to follow, and more regulations and permits to do what you wish to do.

Every time there is an accidental death, a boat accident, a plane accident, a motorcycle accident, everytime the CG plucks someone out of the water, every time someone drowns, there is a statistic for some nanny to read and ponder new laws to prevent it. I cant stop the nannies, but maybe us guys and gals here can lower the statistics? Just a thought.

But I will say this. If someone was planning to take my daughter on this proposed trip, as planned, it would be over my dead body.
Not to get too political but the reason all of your nanny state comments above work is because people like yourself are willing to sacrifice personal freedom and liberty for safety. It's not the moron with the wood stove or the motorcycle that gave us the laws, it's those who except them as somehow being able to change human behavior that are responsible. All of the examples you gave are just natural selection in action. I hope more of the morons remove themselves from the gene pool.

And again, to be perfectly clear, statistically it is far safer to put a child in a fixed keel Catalina 22 in good condition and sail to the Bahamas with a good weather window then it is to drive your kid to school in the morning.

You have expressed your concern, move on.

Personally I don't have any children, but if I did I would likely raise them on a boat, a cheap production boat, in the Caribbean or Mexico. I am sure you would tell me that was dangerous too.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
And as I recall, he was planning many months ahead because he had a prolonged leave from work coming. I think he had almost a year to work it out.

I think it would be a fun camping adventure for 1, or 2 people who are very close! Just the Bahamas and back. But 3 in a boat that small... Yuck! Just my opinion, but I'd bring lots of deodorant. Also, I'd rather do it in Fall or Winter down there. Trying to sleep moored off an island in Summer... Hot! And buggy! Just walking on the beach on Abaco in early evening brings a swarm of NoSeeUms and mosquitos. Uugghh! Hate those NoSeeUms! Gives me the heebeejeebees just thinkin' about 'em! Grrrr!

I don't know why, but we didn't get bothered by them as much as kids in Florida. They would still get us sometimes in the evening, but not as much. I wonder if it was because we were grimy and sweaty from playing on the beach and in the mangrove and Australian Pine stands all day?

Oh well. I hope he and his family have fun and return safely.

Thanks,

Andrew
Aw man, you're giving me vivid flash backs from childhood camping trips except you left out Brazilian Pepper Bushes and Mango Trees. I can remember thinking the state bird was a salt marsh mosquito up till I was like 13 or so.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
..........lso, I'd rather do it in Fall or Winter down there. Trying to sleep moored off an island in Summer... Hot! And buggy! Just walking on the beach on Abaco in early evening brings a swarm of NoSeeUms and mosquitos. Uugghh! Hate those NoSeeUms! Gives me the heebeejeebees just thinkin' about 'em! Grrrr!

Thanks,
Andrew
Oh, I think that after having had one's blood removed, they look for another. No more places to bite ya. I speak from some experience in Ca. where the drone of their mosquitoes kept me up more than a few nights but...One of my most vivid memories was camping at the state park on Long Key, Fla. in Sept. of 1973. The water at the beach was hotter than I'd ever have in my bathtub. We went swimming with the jellyfish, lionfish and barracuda about dinner time and my hair wasn't dry that next morning. That night the sand fleas freely came and went through the mosquito netting.
I certainly hope that this interesting thread can remain civil and it doesn't get cut. Because, I'd really like to see the original person feel welcomed to come back and post a log of their trip and how it went. There's another thread on a different forum where the same question was asked about this very model of boat and they didn't provide any conclusion.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Wow. I bet your fun at a party.

I think your forgetting, first of all, that not everyone, contrary to popular belief, is a moron. Is someone who climbs Everest a moron? Is someone who drives a race car a moron? Is a police officer or a soldier a moron, as he could certainly get blasted any night on the job? I think not. Life has risk, and trying to NERF the whole goddam world down so your little pissant kid can be safe, now that's moronic. Modern life has lost enough of it's adventuring spirit, without everyone acting like they should be terrified to breathe and never go outside.

Second, You said you were in service of some kind? Right? Well...guess what...that's what your for! It's your job to get your lazy ass up in the middle of the night and go help the guy who's chimney is on fire, it's their job for the CG to come out and help people or pluck them from their boats. Things happen. Who at some point in their life didn't get into something a little over their heads and need a hand? I don't think a service job was the right place for you. You have to care about people more than you care about yourself and help them the best you can even if the reason they need the help is somehow a little negligent. If your going to whine every time you have to do your job what does that make you. I will leave it in peoples imaginations to come up with the word.

If I was this guy I would take every precaution, load up and head out. More power to ya man. More power to ya.
Unsubscribing from this thread in 3-2-1----Done

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..

There's another thread on a different forum where the same question was asked about this very model of boat and they didn't provide any conclusion.-quote-

Imagine that..

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
There's another thread on a different forum where the same question was asked about this very model of boat and they didn't provide any conclusion.-quote-
Imagine that..
(Google:The Gentle Way Catalina 22) The first post was in 2011.
Guy got a "free" new Style S/K that seems to need some work.

Here IS a report summary (catalina Direct Clubhouse forum) from a couple that did the trip.
Philip & Sharon Merlier
FELLSMERE, FLORIDA
Boat Name: SWIZZLE STICK
Model/Year: 1990 C22

The Merlier's are very much into cruising and writing about how to do it comfortably. I hope that I can post the link without issue:
http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums/fr_topic.cfm?topic_id=540

Status
Not open for further replies.