Opinions Sought: C&C29

Dec 5, 2013
O'Day 23 Marion, MA
I have an opportunity to acquire a 1977 C+C 29, and would like to hear what people think about such a boat (sight unseen). Been hearing radically different opinions of the Atomic 4 gas engine. I am currently in my fourth year with an O'Day 23 on Buzzards Bay. Mostly it's single-handing days and coastal overnights but occasionally out with family or friends. Alas, no headroom, tiny sink, and porta-potty....

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The C&C are good boats but sight unseen? That is your decision. The atomic 4 works fine but comes with a little more fuss than a diesel. You need a blower fan to clear fumes out of the engine compartment which I am sure the boat has and some folks like to run fresh water through the engine at the end of the day to reduce corrosion.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Back in the day, I looked at a 29 the same time I get my C&C 34. The boats had lots in common. While now dated, the styling is still nice and it's a good looking boat. The first gen 29 is NOT as good a boat as its gen 2 replacement, which oddly enough is almost 1.5 feet shorter but still called the C&C 29. The gen 1 boats are rather tender, not not a lot of fun downwind under spinnaker. You need a 150 to get it moving, a pain.

Generally well built. Look hard for wet decks.

Dec 5, 2013
O'Day 23 Marion, MA
I meant to solicit comments "sight unseen" -- I myself would take a good hard look at the boat, have a survey done, and sail her before I even considered making an offer. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Thanks for the comments so far!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I've known two C&C's near that vintage with leaks at the deck joint. I'd check it out; no way buy an old sailboat w/o inspection.:rolleyes:

Mar 26, 2016
C&C 30 Mk I Silver Harbour
The Mk 1 C&C 29 is a nice racer/cruiser with standing headroom, full galley and head - certainly larger and of better quality than your current boat. Solid Glass hull and nice T-shaped cockpit layout. Condition and upkeep are everything in used boats though. There are still lots of Atomic 4's in service, and everything from parts to rebuilt engines are available from Moyer Marine. These boats are somewhat tender compared with the C&C 30 Mk 1, which would be my preferred choice - stiffer and with no sacrifice in boatspeed. Layout is similar in the two boats except the 29 Mk I has a quarter berth and midline dropleaf table, while the 30 has a portside dinette that converts to a double and a huge cockpit locker instead of the portside quarter berth. The mark II 29's though smaller, came with a nice Yanmar 2GM diesel, which is a sweet powerplant, and sail really well, especially in lighter air.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I just sold a C&C 29 in Bayfield. I used to race on one and it (the early model) was a hell of a fast boat in comparison to others similar vessels. Fun boat to sail, for sure. There once was a man named Rodney who raced in all the local and regional racing events, including the Chicago Mac, Trans Superior, etc. and he won a lot of trophies with his C&C 29. He worked his way to some International events, but with subsequent vessels. If you want a good sailing boat, assuming it is sound, you'll like it and it does have good interior space - more than the next generation C&C 29, which is a bit more contemporary, but a good looking and sailing boat as well.