Opinions on Nicro solar vent fans?

Discussion in 'S2' started by dblakey, Jul 5, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Jim 5757

Jim 5757

Joined Jun 19, 2004
    358 posts, 34 likes
    Morgan M28 O/I
    US Ocean Gate, NJ
    I dissected the motor on our Micro vent after it stopped working. It looks like the brushes are the problem. Made of very thin metal fingers - supposedly to keep friction to a minimum they just wear a hole in them.
    I'm searching for a source of motors now & will let you all know when I find a suitable replacement.

2. Ted

Ted

Joined Jan 26, 2005
    1,072 posts, 178 likes
    C&C 110
    US Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
    Mine are still working but I like your approach. Definitely keep us posted.

3. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,466 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    Mine just stopped working and have not had a chance to check and see maybe needs a new battery,but I am not sure I will spend $$$$$$ to replace and have had them for many years but they $$$$$ just always stopping working after a few years.
    I modified one in my stern bedroom hatch that doesn't get any sun but added a computer fan and wired it to 12 volts and use it off and on,I do have 2 big solar panels and usually keep batteries well charged when away from boat,thinking about doing the same in front hatch.
    Nick

4. alexco38

alexco38

Joined Sep 25, 2008
    1,048 posts, 20 likes
    CS 30
    CA Toronto
    The battery is NiCAD. It die in a few years due to memory effect. Replaced it with NiMH and it works fine now.

5. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    955 posts, 215 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    Go to amazon and search attic vents. More options there including solar vents.

6. Chimera64180

Chimera64180

Joined Jan 9, 2019
    9 posts, 0 likes
    Compac 23
    Alive Again US Bokeelia
    Not sure anyone is here but I am looking for information on my Nicro solar fan that doesnt work. It will spin easily by hand. There is a black rubber on off switch you push but no way to know when its on - if it works and its sunny I assume it will come on right away or very soon. There is mention of batteries here - I see no compartment for them. Are they back up or needed to run the fan? Photo included. I do see to check on Amazon and other sites which is helpful. There is a 3.5" hole in the deck for this and I hope something matches that ( dream on, right?)

Attached Files:

7. Chimera64180

Chimera64180

Joined Jan 9, 2019
    9 posts, 0 likes
    Compac 23
    Alive Again US Bokeelia
    I also see a 3" Nicro fan that would fit the hole in the deck - at Defender.

8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,110 posts, 3,330 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

9. Chimera64180

Chimera64180

Joined Jan 9, 2019
    9 posts, 0 likes
    Compac 23
    Alive Again US Bokeelia
    Might try a rebuild kit - but the only way it appears my unit would come apart is four small metallic tabs around the outer edge of the plasic top that bend out? - worried they might break or not bend back on the right way to seal it.

10. HMT2

HMT2

Joined Mar 20, 2014
    623 posts, 152 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Shoreacres, TX
    +1. I have two on my boat. They been there about five years and still going (saying that is of course the kiss of death for them) I have one set to suck air in and one set to blow air out.

11. Jim 5757

Jim 5757

Joined Jun 19, 2004
    358 posts, 34 likes
    Morgan M28 O/I
    US Ocean Gate, NJ
    I spoke to a Marinco rep this past summer about this unit; I was told the rebuild kit is no longer available.
    To Chimera64180, the "guts" of the unit are accessed by removing the small screws around the perimeter of the solar cell, then carefully prying the solar off with a small screwdriver (there's a small groove in the clear plastic). If the battery is bad, GREAT! If the motor is dead, looks like you're out of luck.
    The new units are completely different with 4 AA cells and a beefier motor.
    Oh... the new unit does NOT fit in the same hole as the old one! :banghead:

12. LuckyDuck

LuckyDuck

Joined Jan 24, 2018
    10 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 25
    Lucky Duck US Whiskeytown Lake
    I'm on my third Nicro/Marinco vent and each one has lated less time than the previous one. The motor on this one died after about 6 months. Assuming they swap it for a new model, would the motor in the new model fit into the older one? I realize it will take some soldering, but if the motor's better...

13. MitchM

MitchM

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    710 posts, 100 likes
    Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32
    US Erie PA
    our nicro ventilator in our 05 went dead after a year. it was unfixable . it was installed in the v berth hatch so removing it would be a mess. since we're usually on shorepower we rigged up an old fashioned 120 v portable fan on a timer to blow 2x a day for an hour.

14. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,466 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    I purchased a solar vent as above on sale WM
    and got warranty for it.

15. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,466 posts, 137 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    Go to WM ask about warranty

16. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,110 posts, 3,330 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    If faced with rejection just call @Stu Jackson He is a wizard with WM warranties.

17. Pizzazz

Pizzazz

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    86 posts, 24 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Marina del Rey
    An alternative approach is to install a 12V computer fan in the dorade box. Simpler, quieter and not visible. You can also install one (with a plastic home depot flap cover in a side porthole where you could easily replace the Plexiglas one day.

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.