Operation of C250 Swing Keel

May 30, 2014
Catalina 250 southeastern CT
1995, water ballast, swing keel. How to raise and lower swing keel? Most literature describes a winch to raise it. I have none in existence. Just above the hole where swing keel control cable exits in the cockpit, there is a small brownish colored disk perhaps 1 inch thick, with a shaft coming up out of it about 2 iches. There is a hole through the top of this shaft. Does something go through the hole? What? I did lower keel a bit by uncleating the line and slowly releasing some of it, but now cannot raise it to where it originally was. HELP!!!!!:confused:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
1995, water ballast, swing keel. How to raise and lower swing keel? Most literature describes a winch to raise it. I have none in existence. Just above the hole where swing keel control cable exits in the cockpit, there is a small brownish colored disk perhaps 1 inch thick, with a shaft coming up out of it about 2 iches. There is a hole through the top of this shaft. Does something go through the hole? What? I did lower keel a bit by uncleating the line and slowly releasing some of it, but now cannot raise it to where it originally was. HELP!!!!!:confused:
Not a winch. Wire and a block system. They break. Sadly.

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=22967