Opening an Autohelm 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2009
2 37.5 Rock Hall
I have a new belt which I would like to install. The manual does not instruct how to gain access. Have read that the clamshell cover just "snaps" open. Before I end up regretting trying to open it; has anyone ever successfully done so? Was it accomplished with a simple screwdriver? Anything to be careful about?

Feb 6, 2009
2 37.5 Rock Hall
Dave, thanks for the reply. The answer appears to be on page 18. They suggest a wide, flat, non-metallic blade as the separation instrument. Now to find one such. Thanks again.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Dave, thanks for the reply. The answer appears to be on page 18. They suggest a wide, flat, non-metallic blade as the separation instrument. Now to find one such. Thanks again.
How about a guitar pick or a credit card?

Rich

Ariel

Feb 1, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Houston, TX / Rock Hall, MD
If I remember correctly, I used the blade of a sea knife and pried easily at several places around the ring to snap it apart. Later in its life I was able to snap the ring off with just my fingers. When Autohelm still sold the belt kit, it came with a plastic "wedge" to use in the removal. If you wait till I get back to the boat in May I will lone you the little wedge, but I hope you will have it fixed by then.

Dave
s/v ARIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.