OOPS I DID IT AGAIN.....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I bought another '87 C-22...

I still have to get my Catalina 27 in the water this spring, but on my way home from the Miami Boat Show I had the opportunity to check out and ultimately purchase an '87 swing keel boat. I bought it way right too.... Less than a grand with a trailer

The boat has sat out in the elements untouched since 2010, but it is solid. The decks and cabin top are firm with no signs of rot or wet core. It has had water standing on the interior so all new wood is in order there, however the bulkheads are fine. The seller had already ordered a bunch of parts from CD including all new standing rigging, a CDI furler, stanchions, etc. so the stick will be ready to go up with all new rigging.

On the downside, there is lichen and dirt all over the exterior and she needs a real good cleaning. The stern pulpit is damaged, but the PO has a donor from a different boat that appears it will fit. The windows are oxidized like an older car's headlights, but those should wet sand and polish out. The woodwork including the hatch boards, and grab rails all needs replaced. Largely familiar things we all deal with on these boats.

On the upside the sails are in incredible shape, and are as crisp as a freshly starched shirt from the dry cleaners. She comes with the main, a 150, and a storm jib. I sure wish she also had a 135 and 110 but I can fix that later. The cockpit has self-tailing 16's for winches, a little excessive for a C22 in my opinion but they are nice... :)

Stay tuned as I get through this season and start work on the boat. My plan is that this is a next fall and winter project. I am in no hurry...

Oh, just now looking at the pics I just added some might pick up on the fact the boat has the wrong mast. I figured that out driving home. The seller had TWO Catalina 22's for sale, the other being a 1974 model. We just loaded the wrong mast. That will be fixed this Wednesday as we are swapping masts. If anyone near Oklahoma City is looking for a first-gen boat let me know; the '74 is for sale for $400.00 You would need to bring a trailer with you to get it though.
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Congrats Britney, er Phil ;) I can appreciate someone knowing a good deal when they see it.
Kind of a hijack, but I notice you are in the Stillwater area. Do you know of any marine propshaft services shops around there? Maybe at one of the lakes? I need a new split coupling "fit and faired" to my shaft. In Wichita I get that deer in the headlights look. Thanks.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I don't have a marine prop-shaft service near me but I know a DAMN good machinist who did a fixed coupling for me before I got chicken about a heat-and-shrink interference fit installation in the tiny engine space of my C27. Look up Shorty's Machine Shop in Stillwater; Nick "Shorty" Sempter. Tell him I sent you. Shorty does some pretty high-tech stuff in his little shop and I am confident that fitting a split coupling will be a super easy thing for him.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't have a marine prop-shaft service near me but I know a DAMN good machinist who did a fixed coupling for me before I got chicken about a heat-and-shrink interference fit installation in the tiny engine space of my C27. Look up Shorty's Machine Shop in Stillwater; Nick "Shorty" Sempter. Tell him I sent you. Shorty does some pretty high-tech stuff in his little shop and I am confident that fitting a split coupling will be a super easy thing for him.
I will check him out. I appreciate the tip!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I decided I better check last name spelling: Semtner is correct. He just goes by Shorty though.

Sep 19, 2017
Catalina 22 Porterville, CA
I still browse Craiglist on the regular for boats... When I feel like buying one, I go out an look at my collection of dilapidated Japanese and British motorcycles that will (one-day) be some sweet cafe bikes. One-day indeed...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
By golly sometimes you just need Jackdaw to get a little motivation. Tonight I cleared 8 years of accumulated s#%t out from under the 27. The shop is a total wreck now but that happens sometimes. I will shoot for pulling her out into the sun this week to start getting ready. Batteries, fuel, check the 8-year-old unused impeller, and get her running and up to temp on a 5-gallon bucket.

Go go go.
IMG_2003.JPG

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
By golly sometimes you just need Jackdaw to get a little motivation. Tonight I cleared 8 years of accumulated s#%t out from under the 27. The shop is a total wreck now but that happens sometimes. I will shoot for pulling her out into the sun this week to start getting ready. Batteries, fuel, check the 8-year-old unused impeller, and get her running and up to temp on a 5-gallon bucket.

Go go go. View attachment 147577
Go go go indeed. Get that girl in the water.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice find Phil!! I need to drag my '86 out to the lake as well. Then I get outside and start thinking about it then a bird flies overhead and I realize I haven't been to the skeet and trap club enough either.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
If all goes well this afternoon the 27-footer will be out in the light of day for the first time in 8 years. I have to free up the space in the shop for the 22!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I decided I better check last name spelling: Semtner is correct. He just goes by Shorty though.
I left a voicemail with Shorty. Mentioned your name. I explained what I need done and asked him to call me if he is interested. I can't find anyone local who has done this. :(