Ontario Evening

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Just wanted to share a pic from our August Vacation. Our H170 & 1967 13' Whaler at the end of another great day. Joe

R

Rick S.

nice shot

Joe, Thanks for sharing the photo. Where on Ontario -- somewhere near Oswego? Do you sail on Oneida Lake as well?

J

John New

Indiana sunset

Nice photo. Here's another sunset photo taken in the marina at Michigan City, Indiana during our weeklong sailing vacation on Lake Michigan

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Yes Rick

The pic was overlooking Henderson Bay...between Sackets & Henderson. Oneida is 5 min away from home & there often (I hear the powerboats roar in the evening). Sounds like you know the area :). Hoping for a Fall trip to Skaneateles too. Joe

R

Rick S.

Photo location

Joe, About the only place you could take a photo like that of an Ontario sunset would be at the east end of the lake. I've lived upstate WNY for a long time and spent time in Syracuse, so I'm familiar with the area. Skaneatles lake is pretty, but public access is limited. There's a public launch tucked into a hillside a few miles down the west side, but parking is limited and it fills fast. Most of the other Finger Lakes have better public access and more parking. My favorite is Canandaigua, with an excellent state marina at the north end, launching into a protected channel. Geneva, on Seneca Lake, has an excellent public marina, though Seneca isn't as scenic as some of the smaller lakes.

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Canandaigua

Rick, I'm aware of the limited launch at Skaneateles...concerned about setup & takedown the most. Sounds like Canandaigua would make for a better put in & take out. Have you sailed there yourself? Any comments? Thx, Joe

R

Rick S.

Canandaigua marina

Joe, I've sailed out of the state marina at Canandaigua a half-dozen times. There's ample room for set-up and parking, decent restrooms, four ramps for launch/retrieval, sturdy docks at the right height, and an attendant to supervise the place. Summer weekends are very crowded, mostly with stinkboat operators in a hurry. But weekdays, the marina is uncrowded and the lake is fairly quiet and wake-free. After launch, plan on motoring a 20-yard-wide channel for about 100 yards and then a markered channel in the lake for about another 150 yards. You can lower your centerboard at launch and leave it down without bottoming, as long as you heed the markers. The marina is at the foot of main street in Canandaigua, near the city pier and just off Rt. 5&20. Good luck and happy sailing.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Ontario Sunsets

We've camped several times on the US side and watched the sun set over Ontario. The crowd starts to gather at the water's edge just before sunset. As the orange globe settles into Lake Ontario, you expect a large cloud of steam to arise over the Lake. As darkness begins to close in, the campers never fail to break into spontaneous applause...

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Fall Trip

Thx for the info Rick. Will plan a post Labor Day trip for sure. Sounds like a much better launch than Skaneateles. Joe

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Cape Cod Bay sunset

Can't resist adding another sunset picture, having just spent 2 weeks of great sailing on Cape Cod Bay, with the 146 moored on the flats near Rock Harbor in Orleans. Do we need a separate "Sunsets" forum??

S

Steve

Two of the joys of sailing . . .

. . . are the sun rises and sunsets you get to experience from the water! This picture is of Cuttyhunk inner harbor.

S

Steve

Here is the picture . . .

. . . that should have attached to my last post.

S

Steve

Last try . . .

I'm feeling inadequate about posting this picture! I have done it many times before . . .

May 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Brewerton
Tereza

Assuming you trailered your 146. Looks to be moored without a lot of company. Nice! Is that a public area? Care to be more specific? Always loved the Cape. Joe

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Joe - Cape Cod Bay is wide open

Hi Joe... Yes, as long as you agree to live by the tides, Cape Cod Bay is fantastic. You can count the submerged rocks on one hand, there are very few boats, very few hazards of any kind, and just soft sand should you happen to go in too shallow. The exception is 2 hours before and after high tide - at that time, big and little fishing boats stream out of Rock Harbor (Orleans) to go make their living during high water. But just stay out of the channel - the parade only lasts about 20 minutes. The harbor masters in each town are very helpful and can give you details. You can moor a boat ion the flats for under 2 weeks for free, but you need to supply your own mooring (or anchor). But - you WILL be beached come low tide! The bay is VERY shallow, and the flats are exposed for 8 hrs btwn highs. With such a shallow draft on my Hunter 146, I can squeeze more than enough hours on either side of high water to make me ready to come back in near shore and go enjoy all the other fun Cape Cod stuff to do. I trailered and put in at Rock Harbor, and anchored her on the flats for the duration. Dennis has a large harbor too, as probably does Wellfleet. Of course, there is always the ocean or sound side, but then you have traffic, lots of hazards, currents... Drop me a line if you want more detail. (The photo is of one of the channel markers - just dead trees - I guess the harbormaster has an odd sense of humor...)

J

Joe

Where to Stay?

Tereza, Any suggestions? Simple, basic accomodations are fine. The Ontario pic at start of this Post is on sand flats so have gear & used to mooring but the Tide would take a little study. Have to get out the Books! And thanks for the great info. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.