One Week Cruise from the SF Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Does anyone know a good source on Cruising on the West Coast? I have a Catalina 27 and I will be taking a week off this summer. Thanks, Tom

D

david lewis

I will do the next best thing

I don't have a cruising source for you but here's my advice. Take your 27 and sail out to Catalina Island. Drop anchor or get a mooring. Do some fishing, scuba diving and exploring for the whole week. Then sail home. I am an east coast sailor but on a trip to L.A. I took the ferry to Catalina, the place is beautiful!!! Colorful fish, great diving, plus the whole island is a wildlife preserve. you'll love it. dave

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Tom, Another Thought..

..asssuming you don't belong to a yacht club, I would suggest stopping by or calling one and ask to speak to the Cruise Committee Chair. What they do is set up the cruise events for the club and (usually) are very friendly and more than willing to share their ideas with anybody. BTW, opening day for the clubs start in March, and almost everbody has great incentive (read:discount) programs for new members, so ask about those too. Good luck. RD

D

Dan Jonas

West Coast

You do not say if you intend to go offshore. In a Catalina 27 you would want to have offshore experience before you made that decision. Catalina is a trip that would take more than a week (about 350 nm each way). The bay is very large and provides many varying sailing experiences, particularly in the summer. You can also cruise up to the delta (towards Sacramento) and easily loose track of time. If you really are determined to go offshore and only have a week. You will be limited to range of Bodega Bay to the north to Monterey to the south. You will need offshore experience, cooperative weather, and remember there is no place to anchor between ports and the ships that will pass you are very large and moving fast so vigilant watches are critical. Good luck. Dan & Adrianne S/V Feije

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Delta!

Tom: There is plenty of cruising in the Delta during the summer months. Very warm and no fog. Good wind too. Over 1000 miles of water ways in the delta to discover.

T

Tom

In the planning stages

I have blue water experience, but in Salmon fishing boats in Alaska. My sailing experience is bay sailing in smaller boats. Summer is a long way off and I need to tell my employer what my vacation special is. I was wondering if there was any planned cruises, but I guess that a yacht club would be the best. All sailors seem to be in hibernation right now, so I was going to try and plan around a week when everone else was going out. Thanks, Tom

G

gary jensen

week cruise from S F Bay

If you intend to cruise the coast from S F this summer then your best bet would be from S F to santa Cruz....good cruise down with Montery Bay to sail and a motor home..enjoy!

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
agreed

I agree with Steve, and will be spending my two week vacation in the delta this august. plus a labor-day "blue-water" cruise to Drakes Bay with the yacht club, where I'm currently cruise captain...... The channel islands are too far to enjoy in a week from SF in a Catalina 27. A Monterey trip is doable, though, with stops at Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruise, Capitola, Moss Landing, Monterey, and Stillwater Cove possible.

T

Tom

Thanks John

I might go down to Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay. I don't want this to be a rush trip where I have to adhere to a schedule. I was wondering if there are any "Sailing Goings-Ons" that I might want to plan a trip durring that week. That way I could get to know the sailing community. I just found out that my roomate goes to Berkeley to sail at the Yacht club there. I want to join a yacht club, but I am still single and only 33, so I want to join a club that has people my age in it. Any suggestions? Thanks, Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.