One summer night... or many?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It was a memorable season and this was the high point.

Sailing to Cape Cod on CHRISTMAS is a family tradition. We've made the trip several times over 20 years and each loop, down and back, has been a unique memory for our family.

Our daughter and my sister in law, both living in Brooklyn NY these days, helped me sail from Maine to Buzzards Bay. Here are a few pics, mostly taken through the eye of my daughter.

She now works in Manhattan in a high stress industry managing projects for a biz out of Delaware. Sailing memories are shared in a family but uniquely our own as well.

Selfie: Mornings in Maine and on the GOM, are often windless. She has spent countless hours, in this very spot.
MJ GOM glassy morning.jpg

Wind comes. It's refreshing and smells good. The motion of a familiar boat getting up to a comfortable speed is exhilarating. It's good to see your adult kids unwind where they are most comfortable.
MJ GOM afternoon.jpg

Miles go by, I get put in the lens.
MJ GOM pic T.jpg

Thanks to her mom, food, like sailing, is life to us. I have memories (and photos) of her cooking below, just managing to reach the galley counter.
MJ GOM pic cooking.jpg

She can prepare dinner on a sailboat underway, and hold it to the seaway. A learned skill.
MJ GOM pic dinner_.jpg

This one is a prize for me. I'm used to spending the night navigating and keeping watch as a family sleeps below. This trip, I was asleep below when she took this screen shot on her phone, at 2:12 AM. You know of course, she is the reason I could fall asleep, below. She knows where she's going.
MJ GOM iphone 2-12 AM.jpg

The farther from home I go, the less I sail. It's just a given: The wind on the coast isn't the most reliable for those of us that want to get somewhere in a reasonable time frame. This crossing, we sailed half our miles. That's above average in our experience.

But it is the sailing that I remember, we hardly touched the wheel through the entire sail. All afternoon, CHRISTMAS treated us to low but satisfying speeds in light Southerly winds, carving a track through the glassy water ahead.

As night fell and the Southerly grew, speed increased as did the sea, yet our motion was lovely through this night. Old boats don't point as high as new, but our best sails across the GOM have been to windward. Go figure.

Maybe it's the package of an old boat, she squeaks below going to windward, yet the miles seemed endless that night across the Gulf of Maine. Like a train ride.
MJ GOM night train.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Near our last day, the flood gates on the protected harbor failed and Casper didn't even let out a whimper sitting squarely on her keel while other boats fell against their dockage. View attachment 158117 They got the gates fixed hours later and the next tide returned everyone to normal.
sitting squarely on her keels.

She's a bilge keeler. Designed to dry.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tom,
You just outlined the ideal life, in my opinion. A model we can all aspire to.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I was in a car accident the first week of June, just two weeks after splash. Got rear-ended on the expressway by a driver who fell asleep. Totaled my bimmer and put me in the E.R. with whiplash and a concussion. Dalliance didn’t leave the dock again until August, so I missed the first half of the season. It could have been worse and I made the most of August and September. Next year will be better.
Dalliance was tucked away for the winter in mid-October and I actually just returned from two weeks down in Santiago & Vaparaiso, Chile. The first week was a professional conference - mostly touring sites of historical and architectural significance with other architects - and the second week was R&R. I never realized how instinctively I use the mid-day sun for navigation. It’s a little disorienting when the sun is in the north.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was going to tell y’all how frustrated I’ve been with boat ownership but decided against even mentioning it.
My fun time this year was when I singlehanded my boat for the very first time. Pretty good wind but not overwhelming. I always thought I wouldn’t enjoy sailing alone since I love sailing with other people so much. What I discovered was the freedom to sail as simply or as daringly as I wanted with no one to push me further and no one to gasp with a sudden gust and heel. I wasn’t particularly comfortable but it sure was fun. And I imagine someone got at least a small chuckle out of watching me struggle with dropping the main and flaking it all alone. But no worries, I had fun and learned a little something.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Good on ya,Kermit. Took me three years to get up the nerve to go solo. Now, 80% or more of my seasons are solo.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Way to go Kermie. Sailing solo ain’t that bad.
Sure happy you shared the experience with us and didn’t even or at hardly mentioned boat ownership challenges. Don’t go soft on us.

Your sail trim looked good. You didn’t jump when the alarm went off. What was it the cookies were done in the galley?

Keep it up it can become addicting. See @kappykaplan does it 80% of the time.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
It’s fun to sail solo then anchor together and swap lies. I enjoy it so much I once put my wife on @jssailem ’s boat in the middle of the Straight of Juan de Fuca, and made John babysit her till Roche Harbor. :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
Yes. He did. She came aboard with grace while we were in the Strait to steer while I resolved a fuel filter and priming issue. She mastered the helm and maintained position while Les gave us a tow.
When repairs has been accomplished we moved up to let her return and Les said. “No it’s too dangerous “.
So I enjoyed her company. We played music drank beers and she did a fabulous job at the helm on a sunny day crossing of the Strait and Mosquito Passage.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sailing solo is a skill I think all sailors should eventually have in their repetoir. The decision to sail often alone or not is certainly an individual choice. I also think that any long term crew member should also be able to single hand. The water is unpredictable.

At this point in my sailing, I almost exclusively single hand, even with folk on board.... LOL

dj

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
By contrast, I'm wondering what it would be like to NOT solo, having never done anything but, since I bought my first boat (an AMF Puffer) and taught myself to sail 5 years ago. My wife loves being on the boat with me, and we've taken friends out a few times, but never had anyone on board who sailed. Maybe next year........ ;)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
By contrast, I'm wondering what it would be like to NOT solo, having never done anything but
When they are good it's awesome. When they are not good, I'd rather sail alone.

dj

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Way to go Kermie. Sailing solo ain’t that bad.
Sure happy you shared the experience with us and didn’t even or at hardly mentioned boat ownership challenges. Don’t go soft on us.

Your sail trim looked good. You didn’t jump when the alarm went off. What was it the cookies were done in the galley?

Keep it up it can become addicting. See @kappykaplan does it 80% of the time.
Thanks, @jssailem. The alarm was the fish finder. It wasn’t too upsetting since I didn’t even have a fishing pole onboard. I do have a rod holder. You can see it at the 0:31 mark.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
@RussC we should create the opportunity to change that. I’ll Sail with you.
Thanks John. I keep thinking "next summer" will be the year we get to finally travel a bit and be more sociable, but Jennifer is still fighting the damn cancer, so we go from doctor to treatment to test to......... makes it really hard for us to plan anything more than a couple days ahead of time. maybe next summer? we're still hopeful!

Oct 22, 2014
Understand. It looks like my schedule will be more open this coming Spring, Summer.
PM me and let’s find a time to do your local lakes.

Oct 22, 2014
Too bad. So the story is you had to let the big one swim free because you were tending to your sailing.;)

That should work at the local pub. As long as you tell everyone just where that spot was. :biggrin:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
We day sail on the bay. Hoping to change that next year but this year has been great thanks to moving up to the C30.
It was our biggest season yet. We left the dock 47 times and covered 570 miles. (I track any time away from the dock over an hour)
Even experienced winds of 25kts a few times with no issues. While the Admiral was with me most of the trips I had a good mix of solo sailing and sailing with friends, some experienced and some not.
Now I'm getting ready to try some cold weather sailing.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Good job Kermit! Not needing crew is liberating and will increase your sailing opportunities. I probably sail solo 50% of the time and thoroughly enjoy it. I choose my solo sailing days cautiously and use a tether and jack line when I leave the cockpit.