One summer night... or many?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
They say that your tan will fade but the memories will last forever. Was that true for your summer?

How many times did you sail this summer? Did you visit any new ports, run into any rare weather, or complete a memorable cruise?

Tell us about your nautical summer, and don't spare the photos.

jump.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“I like bikini bottom girls and I can not lie. “

Fun trip was an overnight with my wife to Poulsbo WA. Rendezvoused with fellow SBO member @Ken Cross and his lovely wife.
upload_2018-11-5_4-39-55.jpeg

Though Ken is an avid sailor this photo captured the reflection of where Ken thought he should be.

Shared great food, explored the town, and heard great stories about their adventureous 30 day summer cruise in the Salish Sea. Got to use my new Main sail, and my wife experienced a cruise without a boat breakdown or challenge.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
A cruise with no mechanical breakdown or challenge? Those type of cruises really exist?

Sam

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes. I have experienced several even with my project boat.

But.
My wife’s participation, in what she calls “my dream”, over the past 3 years - not so much. I would return with pictures and excitement about adventure. She would join me on the next cruise and gremlins appeared. She would talk about the “Cruising Curse” or how the boat did not like her.

As if a boat could exhibit jealousy.

Perhaps the two have worked things out.

This scares me a little.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
2018 trip map.jpg Spent 5 1/2 months circumnavigating Vancouver Island. (see P.N.W. cruisers 2018 Sun Gypsy cruise) Had a great time. New for us was getting through Nakwakto Rapids to explore Seymour and Belize Inlets.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This is Florida. We've been sailing ONCE since June. Experienced our worst thunderstorm to date. Had a great time though, came away feeling absolutely giddy that we had "stolen" a weekend on the gulf of Mexico, T-storms or not.

Cruising season starts right NOW. Spent yesterday getting the boat clean and ready to launch at a moment's notice. Wife has a three day weekend this week, followed by nine days vacation the next. Bring it bring it bring it!! :dancing:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
“I like bikini bottom girls and I can not lie. “
Or not bikini'd bottom girls;).

Despite my NOT getting the chance to do anything with my boat. SBO helped, both by keeping me dreaming and getting me connected with a room swap in Scotland 20180727_171146.jpg that was actually a chance to spend nearly a week on a sailboat in a country I'd never been to before. Scotland was fantastic 20180726_064530.jpg (maybe not the driving, though) and our host and his boat, a H42 Passage named Casper 20180730_103309.jpg , were wonderfully accommodating and more than gracious.
Near our last day, the flood gates on the protected harbor failed and Casper didn't even let out a whimper sitting squarely on her keel while other boats fell against their dockage. 20180730_102826.jpg They got the gates fixed hours later and the next tide returned everyone to normal.
We even had great weather but there were one or two with typical Scottish weather that the Scots kept apologizing for 20180729_142851.jpg.
I even found a William Gilmore listed among a group of prisoners in the Wig Vault 20180729_144343.jpg at Dunnottar Castle. He was shipped off to the West Indies but apparently landed in New England, if he was one of the survivors.
Not the story of my family's immagration, but very interesting.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Well, here is one of Stew Jackson (not sure how to tag him here) on his boat. He was a great tour guide as we made our way through the Gulf Islands. and the second is Jssalem and his sweet bride (also dunno how to tag them) as we tried to get some sailing pics without enough wind near Brownsville (the day the mine was found there.)IMG_20180816_110440.jpg IMG_20180828_130759.jpg
Here is one of us after a short walk up the hill on James Island in the San Juans:IMG_20180806_184742.jpg

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Like Gene said, sailing season is starting in Florida. We just returned from a 6-day "trip". Prior to then, it was only 2-day sails since Memorial Day. We will be sailing for at least one week per month until May.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Sadly the boat has not been out in over a year. Hurricane Harvey did minor damage, and then my back required surgery. I've only bee able to get aboard at all 4 times since Feb, and that was with an assistant. I still have balance trouble. But the improvement is happening at a faster rate now and will be beginning the repairs soon. Seriously hoping to sail a LOT next year

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I had fewer exits and entries from my Everett slip but many more days out on the water. If this trend continues next year will be wonderful

Les

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
My son and I buddy boated to the San Juans for a week this July. He on his H41 and me on our H46 . We departed Bremerton and reached Friday Harbor about 10 hours later, 75 miles. His wife and two boys (3 and 5) and my wife and I had a wonderful time and visited Lopez Island Resort, Rosario, Deer Harbor, and Roche Harbor. Great weather and terrific family time.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Stuck “close to home” last summer due to a repower last fall. This summer is wide open. Maybe upper reaches of Desolation Sd and Octopus Is. We will have two months.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Great summer vacations....... September week cruise up to mystic for a couple of days..... stayed at the museum! Great experience to go wandering around the village at night after closing.

upload_2018-11-6_3-19-25.jpeg

And also watching my 6 year old grand daughter begin to take the helm

upload_2018-11-6_3-20-59.jpeg

And.... if that were not enough, with the help of many people on this site coupled with Maine sails direction I installed my alternator!

Last edited: