Registered users don't see ads

One step closer to cruising (Dinette berth)

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by pateco, Jan 5, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,933 posts, 485 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Since we got the boat, I knew that somehow the dinette converted into a large berth. However I could never get the center post support to come apart.
    2017-12-31 17.31.21.jpg

Last weekend I decided to do something about it. I soaked the ends of the support post in PB-Blaster, And then used a strap wrench to loosen them.

2017-12-31 17.27.11.jpg
    Once I got it loose, the table top lifted right up. I now have a new convertible berth.

2017-12-31 16.35.18.jpg

I lubricated the post ends before reassembling the dinette, and hopefully, they will not freeze up again.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    TomY likes this.
  2. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    I wish I had this. My boat has parallel settees port and starboard, with a fold-down table that comes off the bulkhead at the forward end of stbd settee. The salon looks enormous without the fixed table, but we would like to have the berth.

3. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,933 posts, 485 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    What year is your H31? Do you have a Picture of the Salon?

4. pateco

pateco

Joined Aug 12, 2014
    1,933 posts, 485 likes
    Hunter 31 (1983)
    US Pompano Beach FL
    Someone on the Facebook Hunter group suggested adding an air mattress on top. I am thinking of something like this.
    air matress.jpeg Deluxe Full Size Air Bed

It would even out the lumps, and make finding sheets so much easier

5. HMT2

HMT2

Joined Mar 20, 2014
    543 posts, 108 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Shoreacres, TX
    Chip,
    My salon looks exactly like yours but my table is fixed. How does the starboard end of the table attach when it is lowered ? I would love to see some pictures of that. Also a pic of the support leg would be helpful. I would like to,be able to do that on my boat which is an’83 H31.

6. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Mine is an '83 as well. Let me look for some pics, even if they are in other threads.

Edit: Ok, here are a couple of pics that may show you:

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

pateco likes this.
  7. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,370 posts, 492 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    For those who have the settee v settee arrangement and would like a berth, we've used a plywood sheet on 2 boats to bridge the cabin sole and make a berth. There's room for storage underneath and it makes a comfortable sleeping arrangement. The carpentry is easy (Or I would not have able to do it) and you can be as fancy or not about it. We cut a piece of open celled foam of the near thickness of the settee cushions. You can buy it a little thick since that's what the majority of your body weight will bear on. It was near a real queen size (That's the size of the sheets we used). Sleep guy towards the cockpit and lady forward near the head and everyone's happy. the one drawback is storage of the plywood and foam. The plywood didn't cause much trouble because it was 3/4 or 1 inch thick and the foam lived in the quarter berth.

8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,215 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Chip... An alternate to the inflatable is to get one of the foam toppers. Costco sells them up here for about $100. The foam will give you the feel of one of the high cost bed mattresses. Take two sheets and make a cover. Like sleeping on air. Smooths out the bumps of the dinette cushions. You can either roll it up and toss it in the V Berth or spread it out on the V Berth for storage. It can fit rolled in a large sail bag as well.

9. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    I added pics to post #6 above.

As shemandr said, it is possible to span those two settees, and my wife and I have discussed options, but she is concerned that a) either of us getting to the head during the night would be an issue for the other; b) the idea of "constructing" and then making the bed each night (then reversing the process in the A.M.) would be a pain. Storing the parts is an issue as well, Making the legs out of short 2x4 pieces that go inside a settee would help, but there is still the issue of the pieces of plywood that form the surface of the berth. I suppose I could custom fit a number of smaller pieces that, during the day, would go on the settees, under the seating cushions.

10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,215 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    When you are young and still wrapped in the rapture of love leaping over a sleeping bed mate conjures up all sorts of fun.
    As one ages it becomes more of a chore or an imperative and distractions are not considered.
    Of course in the 50's everyone slept in a single bed.
    How did I ever get here?

11. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,384 posts, 300 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    A double (standard) air mattress may be a difficult fit... length and width... which creates problems. If it's for just one person, I'd get a single mattress.. but for two people the standard size will extend beyond the table a bit and the outside person can accidently roll off because the mattress will collapse near the edge, The good news is you can get a cheap one at Walmart with the built in inflator to experiment with... but honestly, spending a $100 on the foam pad will most likely be the way to go...

pateco likes this.
  12. jmce1587

jmce1587

Joined Mar 20, 2011
    258 posts, 27 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Kemah
    Chip, I have the same set up and what we did when replacing cushion covers was to add 3" foam topping to our existing cushions so we don't need an air mattress. If not in the market anytime to recover cushions then suggest the mattress topper. Just need to find a place to store.

pateco likes this.