One step closer to cruising (Dinette berth)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Since we got the boat, I knew that somehow the dinette converted into a large berth. However I could never get the center post support to come apart.
2017-12-31 17.31.21.jpg

Last weekend I decided to do something about it. I soaked the ends of the support post in PB-Blaster, And then used a strap wrench to loosen them.

2017-12-31 17.27.11.jpg

Once I got it loose, the table top lifted right up. I now have a new convertible berth.

2017-12-31 16.35.18.jpg

I lubricated the post ends before reassembling the dinette, and hopefully, they will not freeze up again.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I wish I had this. My boat has parallel settees port and starboard, with a fold-down table that comes off the bulkhead at the forward end of stbd settee. The salon looks enormous without the fixed table, but we would like to have the berth.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
I wish I had this. My boat has parallel settees port and starboard, with a fold-down table that comes off the bulkhead at the forward end of stbd settee. The salon looks enormous without the fixed table, but we would like to have the berth.
What year is your H31? Do you have a Picture of the Salon?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Someone on the Facebook Hunter group suggested adding an air mattress on top. I am thinking of something like this.
air matress.jpeg Deluxe Full Size Air Bed

It would even out the lumps, and make finding sheets so much easier

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Chip,
My salon looks exactly like yours but my table is fixed. How does the starboard end of the table attach when it is lowered ? I would love to see some pictures of that. Also a pic of the support leg would be helpful. I would like to,be able to do that on my boat which is an’83 H31.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Mine is an '83 as well. Let me look for some pics, even if they are in other threads.

Edit: Ok, here are a couple of pics that may show you:

IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For those who have the settee v settee arrangement and would like a berth, we've used a plywood sheet on 2 boats to bridge the cabin sole and make a berth. There's room for storage underneath and it makes a comfortable sleeping arrangement. The carpentry is easy (Or I would not have able to do it) and you can be as fancy or not about it. We cut a piece of open celled foam of the near thickness of the settee cushions. You can buy it a little thick since that's what the majority of your body weight will bear on. It was near a real queen size (That's the size of the sheets we used). Sleep guy towards the cockpit and lady forward near the head and everyone's happy. the one drawback is storage of the plywood and foam. The plywood didn't cause much trouble because it was 3/4 or 1 inch thick and the foam lived in the quarter berth.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip... An alternate to the inflatable is to get one of the foam toppers. Costco sells them up here for about $100. The foam will give you the feel of one of the high cost bed mattresses. Take two sheets and make a cover. Like sleeping on air. Smooths out the bumps of the dinette cushions. You can either roll it up and toss it in the V Berth or spread it out on the V Berth for storage. It can fit rolled in a large sail bag as well.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
I added pics to post #6 above.

As shemandr said, it is possible to span those two settees, and my wife and I have discussed options, but she is concerned that a) either of us getting to the head during the night would be an issue for the other; b) the idea of "constructing" and then making the bed each night (then reversing the process in the A.M.) would be a pain. Storing the parts is an issue as well, Making the legs out of short 2x4 pieces that go inside a settee would help, but there is still the issue of the pieces of plywood that form the surface of the berth. I suppose I could custom fit a number of smaller pieces that, during the day, would go on the settees, under the seating cushions.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When you are young and still wrapped in the rapture of love leaping over a sleeping bed mate conjures up all sorts of fun.
As one ages it becomes more of a chore or an imperative and distractions are not considered.
Of course in the 50's everyone slept in a single bed.
How did I ever get here?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A double (standard) air mattress may be a difficult fit... length and width... which creates problems. If it's for just one person, I'd get a single mattress.. but for two people the standard size will extend beyond the table a bit and the outside person can accidently roll off because the mattress will collapse near the edge, The good news is you can get a cheap one at Walmart with the built in inflator to experiment with... but honestly, spending a $100 on the foam pad will most likely be the way to go...

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Chip, I have the same set up and what we did when replacing cushion covers was to add 3" foam topping to our existing cushions so we don't need an air mattress. If not in the market anytime to recover cushions then suggest the mattress topper. Just need to find a place to store.