One of my favorite anchorages is right in the middle of Newport Harbor RI.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We first anchored there about 15 years ago (photo below). I wasn't aware of the anchorage but we found boats anchored in front of the Ida Lewis YC, outside the moored boats. I remember we found the holding great, nearby public dinghy dock and the spot was very convenient to the downtown. Needing a place for my SIL to hire a rental car to get back to her family, I headed in on our way to Mystic Conn.
Anchored Ida Lewis, Newport copy.jpg

What I didn't remember is how much space there is to anchor (room for 20 or so boats) or that it's a wonderful spot to watch sailboats of all kinds, racing and just sailing in the beautiful outer harbor. They take their sailing seriously in Newport. You can get on old Jboats that are for day charter,
J boat, bright hull crop.jpg

right along side ancient schooners, also sailing in and out of the inner harbor.
J boat, schooner passing.jpg

I took these shots from the cockpit as my SIL and I enjoyed a glass of wine. It occurred to me, you couldn't see what we were seeing if you had a mooring in the inner harbor. Of course mansion studded Newport has a long history of opulence that was on parade.
Biloxi yacht.jpg

NYYC has a junior YC in the harbor.
NYYC boats.jpg

But mostly, we watched 3 or 4 fleets of class racing that were beautiful in the setting sun. Ancient classics raced alongside high tech 'foilers' that oddly climbed out of the water.
Wooden boat, new foiler cat.jpg

As the sun set racers and just sailors out on the water for the evening came back in. This beautiful anchorage is a ring side seat to some of the best sailing in New England.
Old Cal?.jpg

When you see them all sailing together, new and old, sailboats haven't changed that much.
New tech.jpg

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Nice pictures, thank you. We've anchored there many times. It's sometimes crowded, and the available spots deep, 21', with a rocky bottom, so not ideal. But always great views, lots of sailing always. We often seem to get fogged in, too!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
TomY-
Now you have gone and done it. We have never failed to find a spot to anchor; well maybe once, but now with your pictures and high praise, everybody will be anchoring there. There goes the neighborhood. :poke:
BTW, very nice pictures.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Nice Tom. So cool to have such a good spot. I would rather be anchored with good glass of wine.

pfaffk

Mar 4, 2011
Hunter 290 Haverstraw
I just checked Garmin's Active Captian and it has that anchorage on it's map.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's far from a secret but it is among the best places we have ever been. Even during the recent Volvo Ocean race stop in Newport in Springtime and in the rain, it was still crowded.