One of Life's Little Victories

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi all:
I just had to share this since I am so overjoyed at solving this problem.
Since Maxine was launched in mid-May I have been plagued by a salt water leak which was accumulating water in the bilge, but only when the engine runs. Not much water, but enough to get my attention since it is usually dusty dry in the bilge. And not a drop leaking when she is tied up. I had surveyed every system that touches salt water and I couldn't find any evidence of a leak. I even emptied all the stuff in the huge lazarettes just to be sure the hull joint wasn't leaking. Grrrrrr.
But this morning after running the engine for an hour the gallon or so appeared in the bilge and I was in despair. I was concluding that there was a keel bolt somehow leaking, but only with the engine running? Didn't make sense. But, with no alternative, I was ready to start looking for a mechanic with a huge socket/ratchet torque wrench.
But then as I was closing the engine raw water sea cock, a glimmer of something shining caught my eye. I looked closer and voila! the raw water inlet strainer was dripping at a good rate!!! I found it! The leak!!!!
Sorry if this is boring, but I thought only this audience could appreciate the joy!!!!
Rick
UPDATE: The pickup inboard filter is one of those Sherwood plastic things and sure enough I must have over tightened it in the Fall when I winterized. The ring was split on the top.
And this gets even better. It turns out that on a whim I ordered a new one over the winter as they were on sale. So as I write this, new filter installed and NO LEAKS. I am committed to take my wife to dinner tonight or I'd already be sipping a Bloody Mary, or maybe a Margarita. On second thought, I could have her drive....

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Rick. A boat owner is one who can empathize with the frustration search for a hidden leak.
And understand the joy / satisfaction at finding and fixing such leak.
Thanks for sharing.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Congrats... I have a mystery leak also... but I'll have to start a new thread for that one.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Certainly the right audience for your commentary. I'm chasing an above water rain leak in my galley. Hopefully soon I will be able to celebrate my little victory as well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations. Detective work is much more than what we see on TV. It always takes longer and it is ALWAYS the very last place we look. :) Just like finding something you "misplaced." IT wasn't lost, you just weren't looking in the right place!:)

Oct 1, 2007
I thought you were leading up to a leaking stuffing box.
Good detective work!
I must have checked that at least 5 times. I keep a pile of sponges right underneath where it drips. Damp only.

Oct 1, 2007
Such a detective! Want to visit Michigan and have a look at mine?
Keep in mind I stumbled over this. I had looked at the darn thing many times but I never thought to wrap my hand around it to see if it was wet. And it is partly under the deck so it is not that easy to see. Pure, unadulterated luck.

Oct 1, 2007
Congratulations. Detective work is much more than what we see on TV. It always takes longer and it is ALWAYS the very last place we look. :) Just like finding something you "misplaced." IT wasn't lost, you just weren't looking in the right place!:)
Exactly. But every time I screw up, I learn something new. The challenge is to remember what I've learned so I recognize it next time :)

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Yahoo. I certainly understand. I’m chasing a small freshwater leak and I moor in saltwater. Not windows or deck. I pump the inch of water out of the bilge manually and two hours later it is back. My water tanks are tight. The water pump does not cycle. I think I might shoot the water with my IR temp gun to see if it might be from the water heater. But again congratulations on finding your leak

Oct 1, 2007
Yahoo. I certainly understand. I’m chasing a small freshwater leak and I moor in saltwater. Not windows or deck. I pump the inch of water out of the bilge manually and two hours later it is back. My water tanks are tight. The water pump does not cycle. I think I might shoot the water with my IR temp gun to see if it might be from the water heater. But again congratulations on finding your leak
Do you run your heat/AC? Could it be condensation?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think I might shoot the water with my IR temp gun to see if it might be from the water heater
You could try, but my guess is that any water from the water heater would cool by the time it trickles into the bilge, unless it's a really big leak. Also, does your water pump cycle periodically? If not it's probably not a leak in the heater or any other plumbing past the pump.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
some different colored food coloring in each of your tanks might help you pin it down.