Registered users don't see ads

ON DEMAND PROPANE HOT WATER HEATER

Discussion in 'Ask A Catalina Owner' started by Keith Ingebrigtson, Jan 4, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Keith Ingebrigtson

Keith Ingebrigtson

Joined May 22, 2017
    2 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Pleasant Harbor, Wa
    I am the owner of a 1980 Catatlina 30. I would like to add a on demand propane hot water heater to my boat. I chartered a Cat 30 in Canada 20 yrs ago and it had one but I can't seem to remember what kind it was. Does anyone have one or know somebody that can give me information on one?
    I have been looking at the stores and forums but all I find are electric ones of monster ones that will not fit. thanks Keith Safari Spirit

2. Sailm8

Sailm8

Joined Feb 21, 2008
    1,442 posts, 138 likes
    Hunter 29.5
    US Punta Gorda
    The ones mentioned in previous posts on this forum have been of the Coleman camping type. The general consensus seemed to be that while they worked they would not be safe to mount and use inside the boat due to venting issues. Despite that issue, some have been using them without incident.

3. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,553 posts, 425 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    There are currently no on-demand propane water heaters I am aware of that meet the bare minimum marine safety standards. If you undergo and insurance survey your insurer may demand it be removed. I have had to remove multiple on-demand units over the last few years due to insurance surveys & non-ABYC safety compliance.

4. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,933 posts, 133 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    You might be able to find a CNG version. I had a CNG space heater on my old Hunter 37.5 so I know you can use pilot operated heating devices if they use CNG. course CNG is not that handy to refill so the juice may not be worth the squeeze.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.