On-Air Meetup

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
I know everyone is always busy, but I wonder if it might be nice to schedule a 1-time meetup on HF with the members of this group? Perhaps on a weeknight, we could hook up on 40m? With propagation being sketchy lately, maybe we'd have to do it in two shifts - i.e. East US then West US. Just an idea.

Brian... maybe a poll to determine night, band, etc.? Kind of like a one-time net. Who knows, maybe it could become monthly or so.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Our boat is in Aruba now but can do from home if that is allowed. Any night after 00Z should work on 40.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
And I can do weekends, with the exception of the first weekend of October. Would be fine to try again.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Sounds like a plan. I'll be out of town Oct 2nd thru the 6th. Any other time will work for me.

May 10, 2004
OK, guys... sounds like early October isn't good. I'll be out of the country until Oct 21, so I'll make a proposal for late October upon return.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wow, just saw this. LOL

Weekend evenings are better for me.

May 10, 2004
Well, shipmates....
I started this little project, and then promptly dropped the ball. Sorry, Sully, this darned job had me on European travel for a couple of weeks.

So, what say we give it a try this coming weekend, as it seems most who responded preferred weekends and this coming one is between the two that have the November Sweepstakes Contest mayhem.

Proposal:
  • I (W7XV) will call CQ to the "SBO NET":
    • Sunday night, November 15, 0130 UTC (530PM PST, 830PM EST)
    • 40m LSB - 7.210 MHz
  • If you can't hear me from Portland, OR, then someone else give out a CQ and we can get a continental relay going
  • Let's see how many SBOers we can get in a ragchew.
What say ye? Any suggestions for different dates/times/protocols gladly welcomed.

Feb 17, 2006
If I remember, I will be there. I will set my alarm on my phone to remind me.

Feb 17, 2006
Well, Steve, I heard you in there. There was a lot of QRM and QSB. A few times you popped up out of the noise but went right back in. I heard you comment about 20 meters and agree that that might make a better choice.

Did anyone else try this evening. The band was very noisy.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
It was real noisy here. Couldn't pull anyone out. Lets reschedule........

May 10, 2004
Hello, Brian/Karl/Sully/Don and anyone else....

Well, it sure was a short, noisy 40 meters Sunday night. I did hear you, Brian, just couldn't copy but about 20% of you. You are right, I did take a short break and check 20 meters on my SDR display and it was a dead, dead band. It had been good all day but went dead quickly at dark. The only band working at all was 80m, which may have worked for Brian and Karl, but probably not Sully in GA or Don in FL.

Well, let's wait a couple of weeks and see if 40 will cooperate a little more and then try it again. My fear is that we would have to do a mid-morning meetup for 20 or 40 to work, but we'll see after Thanksgiving. What say we make a tentative date for Sunday, November 29?

Any other suggestions?

Feb 17, 2006
One thing to think of. Meet on 14300 Maritime Mobil Net and then move off from there. At least there is a chance of someone being heard. I think on the weekend it is the Pacific Seafarers network.