Omc zephyr mounting blocks cracked

Apr 3, 2018
O'day 25 cb Mosquito Creek
My 82 O'Day 25 with 15hp omc sail drive has wood blocks that are fiberglassed to hull with 3/8" square head bolts acting as studs to mount isolation ring to. The 9 bolts/studs seam solid enough but they have cracks around their square heads that are encapsulated in fiberglass that attaches bolts to blocks. Im worried that vibration from omc will work on worsening this situation ultimately creating a leaking hull. I know half of you will tell me to pull omc and glass over hull and hang a small 4 stroke on her. I had this same year omc power head on a flats boat me and my pops fished with in the flats of Laguna Madre. So Im familiar with motor and it always seamed to be reliable and handled salt water fine. I am thinking clean up, dewax with acetone, sand to roughen up ,dewax again, then use epoxy and two layers of 3" selvage fiberglass tape to over wrap old blocks and bolt heads. Any of my new friends here with ideas on repairing my old gals sail drive it would be appreciated! I am going try to post pictures, so we will see how that goes!

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree. Your plan will work to re-seal the blocks and prevent any more cracking.. ..
I think the old Zephyrs got a bad rap .. based on a de-tuned OMC two stroke powerhead, they can be very good units, assuming they get proper care/maintenance..

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Interesting, I was told to stay away from these motors when we looked. Those cracks look pretty superficial to me. I'd clean and monitor them since you have a trailer so pulling her out shouldn't be hard. My understanding of the hull build is it is very solid and thick so I doubt those blocks would break through and cause a leak. To me glassing over them may hide the cracks developing deeper if they truly are an issue.

Apr 3, 2018
O'day 25 cb Mosquito Creek
You know what kloudie1 I think this O'Day still had the remnants of the first tank of mix still in her when I bought her a year ago! A 1982 that sat under tarps till 2014 then it sat in a barnyard for a year. She aint been sailed more than a dozen times, sails are still folded like the factory! I think I was the first one to wear shoes aboard, not a scratch on the rudder. Apparently the first owner got scared when one of his crew went over board in upper lake michigan then the second owner died of cancer and never got to sail her. So if any thing her lack of use is my problem not lack of maintenance.