Olin flare gun-I can't break the barrel open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I am going through everything to be as coast gaurd compliant as possible. I found a flare gun and some old flares. I bought some new 12 gauge flares today. I can only open the breach as much as you see in the one pic where it is partially open. I have looked all over this thing and tried different positions of the trigger and hammer. I have done everything except break it open. Is there some trick I am missing here?
The flares expire in 2 years, is that a normal life for 12 gauge flares?

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
I tried pressing the black pin out that the barrel pivots on. They come out really easy. There is a white spring loaded ball tip that was slightly bent at the tip. I think if I would have just pushed on it harder it would have opened. I sanded it down to true it up and it works fine now.
My guess is; the ball head bent down a little from long term creep. The spring is always pushing the ball head against a cam on the barrel to bias it closed while it is closed and to bias it opened while it is opened.

Attachments

Pops

Apr 11, 2004
- - Albemarle Sound
I sent mine to Orion 2 years ago with the same problem. It was promptly replaced.

Feb 9, 2008
Catalina 22 Long Beach Harbor, MS
Thanks for the link! I had an older gun. Same problem. Forced it open then would not close properly. Bought another one. Still have old one, may send it back! Thanks, Napa Ed...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Speaking of flare guns, I was messing around in Coast Guard sites and found an item of interest.. Apparently, Orion has modified the 12 gauge flare slightly (now HP ) and it will no longer fit into the adapter sleeve that changes the 25 mm gun to handle 12 ga flares on older 25 mm guns.. Any 25 gun sleeve, made before 1997, will be replaced free of charge by Orion..
If you have a 25 mm gun with a converter sleeve that was manufactured before 1997 , send a letter requesting your improved converter sleeve to :
Orion Safety Products , ATTN : Converter Request,
3157 North 500 West
Peru , Indiana

Or e-mail mcustomerservice@orionsignals.com with your request and address..

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks Napa. I will send my gun in after my trip on labor day weekend. I thought about deleting the post because I 'fixed' it. It looks like you helped a lot of people Ed including me.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Has anyone actually had the nerve to actually fire a 12 ga flare from one of these plastic flare pistols? While I've collected 2 of these over the years, and still carry flares for them, I dread actually having to fire one....

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
The flare life is 3 years BUT its tough to find then in the store right out of the factory :(

There 6 months to a year old at a LOT of stores

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have fired my plastic one several times, Warren.. To get rid of some old flares on christmas Eve.. It worked just fine.. Not excessive blow-back as I'd feared.. My aluminum 25mm one is a lot more confidence inspiring!

Sep 25, 2008
The old shells I have are short and the barrel actually gets burned a little. The new flare shells are extended to the end of the barrel so the gun barrel doesn't get touched by the burning flare. I am going to fire off the old ones before I send the gun back. It's good to have some practice.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Just be careful about where and when you discharge them. If you are in the wrong place when you fire one off, you can expect a visit from certain types of law enforcement authorities if they see it. I know how tight money is these days and the fine can be fairly steep.
The Coast Guard Aux and the Power Squadrons periodically will host a shooting session where you can legally discharge them.

G

They improved the Orion flares by putting 2 in 1.

The old shells I have are short and the barrel actually gets burned a little. The new flare shells are extended to the end of the barrel so the gun barrel doesn't get touched by the burning flare. I am going to fire off the old ones before I send the gun back. It's good to have some practice.
It has nothing to do with "gun barrel getting touched".
The regulations used to require you to fire two shells in short order (within 1 minute I think it was) to count as one flare.
The new version fires a double flare from the single shell, and counts as one flare.
Flares are good for 48 months from date of manufacture. The dates are always stamped on them.

Nov 22, 2009
na na Miami Florida
Off topic ... but good safety info

To correct...there is no "regulation" requiring 2 flare shots. The sugestion is that the first shot attracts attention while a quick second shot helps in determining location. The second shot is usually not nessary with the larger parachute flares because with the longer "hang-time" identification and location dectection is accomplished with one shot. SAFE BOATING

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I'd point out that SOLAS flares are far better than USCG flares, and that the visibility of a SOLAS parachute flare is significantly better in hang time and height and brightness. IMHO, there is absolutely no reason to be using USCG-rated flares when SOLAS-rated flares are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.