Registered users don't see ads

Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by MightyMike, Aug 10, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,181 posts, 740 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    I feel somewhat old this morning. For the first time (beer!), went partially up the mast using a climbing harness, the Admiral belaying me on the main halyard.
    Repaired a lazy jackline and the chafe guard. My butt hurts!

20170818_080953.jpg
    @Justin_NSA , you've got a dirty mind. I like it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    4,544 posts, 677 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Cheney, KS
    I hope this won't be what I'm thinking!

justsomeguy and Sailm8 like this.
  3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,181 posts, 740 likes
    Island Packet 35
    Ha! Found the bosun's chair, backrest and tool pocket.
    Never feel old again!
    20170819_085911.jpg

Meriachee likes this.
  4. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,460 posts, 629 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    What? No cupholders? Sell it. :)

justsomeguy and Chief RA like this.
  5. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    Cupholders plural? I coulda had more than one cupholder? Damn.

Meriachee likes this.
  6. Chief RA

Chief RA

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    2,264 posts, 84 likes
    Catalina 250
    US Bodega Bay CA
    What is a cup holder? Must be a cheap boat! All I have is 4 beer holders! Chief

7. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    1,982 posts, 355 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Watkins Glen
    I think you go smaller to a certain extent. Smaller also means less stable. There is a tradeoff at which point lack of stability becomes harder to sail than complexity. Larger boats are more complex. Smaller boats become unstable. I would find that 22-25 ft boat with fewer systems that sails well single handed. Then always sail with crew. Not hired. Face it. Few people can hire crew. However, willing sailors can always be found. Marinas are full of friendly people. Also, sail on other people's boats. Invite people, and they will reciprocate. Rule: if someone invites you... reciprocate with an invitation!
    Next, accomodate limits: reaction time, strength, sight, and hearing all fade with age. You know what? Bladder capacity also diminishes with age! Ask people to sail for shorter periods or if they will mind you using the head. ALWAYS ask if you can use the head on someone's boat!
    Maybe move to a slip that is on a T to facilitate easier docking. Inform others of a sail plan, so friends can be on hand for docking help.
    The key is to accomodate limits in order to keep active and sailing. People around us will help.
    I agree that continuing to do weight-bearing exercise is important for maintaining strength and skeletal integrity and support. We should all be in the gym. All of us.

Think your way through every step, every facet and factor. Simplify each one to accomodate limits.
    You may not even need to own a boat!

8. Chief RA

Chief RA

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    2,264 posts, 84 likes
    Catalina 250
    US Bodega Bay CA
    The tippy concept does not apply to some 25/26' boats and many sailors are misinformed. If you think this, I suggest that you step aboard a Catalina 250. It has many big boat traits with a 25' length. Chief

9. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,181 posts, 740 likes
    Island Packet 35
    For when you've more than one going aloft? What a concept!
    But I'd be too skeered I'd spill my drink anyways.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  10. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    2,460 posts, 629 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Wabamun - on the orange ball
    Well you know what they say about any boat being too small when the admiral is pissed at you, you can have your mast and a pair of cold ones too. (I'm gonna pay for that comment, I just know it)

BudGates likes this.
  11. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,181 posts, 740 likes
    Island Packet 35
    When is she not?

Meriachee likes this.
  12. BudGates

BudGates

Joined Apr 19, 2012
    1,006 posts, 114 likes
    Macgregor 26d
    US Ridgecrest CA
    I remember a time.... Oh, that was someone else.... never mind....

13. TomY

TomY Alden Forum Moderator

Joined Jun 22, 2004
    1,132 posts, 634 likes
    Alden 38' Challenger yawl
    US Rockport Harbor
    For me, boat size is connected to sailing grounds. Can you sail in protected waters only? We sail in an area with near limitless anchorages and harbors within a day or two of home.

Usually, getting 'there' and back would be a breeze in a smaller boat. BUT, there are enough times - that happen pretty regularly - that a smaller lighter boat would turn a sporty windward beat of 10 miles in a heavily reefed 38' boat, into an epic challenge in a much lighter/smaller boat.

In my case, when I can't handle the boat I have, I'll get a smaller boat, but I'll have to find smaller waters to go with it.

14. MightyMike

MightyMike

Joined May 16, 2017
    40 posts, 16 likes
    Pearson 10 Meter
    US Westport Ma
    This applies to our home area as well. Buzzards Bay can be very challenging in the right wind and tides.
    I do wonder how the 23 footer I am eying would handle all of that. Plus the slower speed puts our favorite harbors that much further away.

15. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,217 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    All this talk about getting old and slowing down, reminded me of the ToWanda scene in Fried Green Tomatoes.

AlastairLC and Kermit like this.
  16. Chief RA

Chief RA

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    2,264 posts, 84 likes
    Catalina 250
    US Bodega Bay CA
    Mike: 23' will likely get you the traditional small boat broblems that have been stated here so many times. Read what I said about 25/26' boats in my prior post. Chief

17. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,657 posts, 2,030 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Interesting discussions. A few years ago, a leading UK sailing mag did a CV of J.M Finot and his boats, along with his options. Interesting reading from one of the world's foremost designers, and all-around 'boat guy'.

If BlueJ ever leaves my nest, it will be replaced by a 28-30 footer. Interestingly, I would kill to find a First 27.7 'over here'

finot.jpg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  18. Chief RA

Chief RA

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    2,264 posts, 84 likes
    Catalina 250
    US Bodega Bay CA
    Jackdaw: The Hunter 260's are stable boats like the Catalina 250 aren't they? Seems these guys think 25/26's act like 23's and mine sure doesn't! Chief

19. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    971 posts, 122 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    For me, the bigger boat in retirement is to make it more "livable". My Hunter 280 was fun to day-sail, was pretty easy to single-hand, but really lacked a useable cabin (didn't even have a fridge to keep the beer cold)....

My O'Day 322 is still very easy to single-hand, but is more stable, and has a much more usable cabin. After spending a night recently in the 80-degree cabin, the retirement boat will have A/C for sure.

To cover the "wild ride" youth toy, I bought this BMW Z3 M Roadster! Great fun getting to and from the marina!

Greg

IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

Will Gilmore likes this.
  20. Chief RA

Chief RA

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    2,264 posts, 84 likes
    Catalina 250
    US Bodega Bay CA
    Tally ho : Mazda Miata MX5, RV, Sailboat. Chief

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.