Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I hear you Gunni. There are not many Cats up on Lake Ontario, marinas are just not equipped to handle them. Every spring I envy the owner of my old Tanzer 22 as I'm washing and waxing Sabre 362.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I know this might take the thread down the dark side, and I apologize in advance. If you need to start an engine or keep it running to tack, it's not a real sailboat IMHO. This applies to some cats and alot of full keelers like IPs.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Gunni, I don't see how "Cats & Tri's" could be the future of recreational sailing, where would they all be docked, the darn things are so wide it takes a minimum of (2) slips are required, man talk about adding cost!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I used to host a group of non-sailors on charters to various places in the Caribbean. One year when I was not able to secure a keelboat I accepted a massive Leopard catamaran instead. It was an overwhelming hit with the landlubbers, and quite frankly it was nice having a dock on the stern for our shoreside dinghy trips. But my crew of sailors damn near mutinied on me when talk turned to doing it again. I'm ambivalent, a bad day sailing is still sailing and I like managing big equipment that can kill me. But the thought of maintaining these beasts without a support crew puts them off my list.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Gunni, I don't see how "Cats & Tri's" could be the future of recreational sailing, where would they all be docked, the darn things are so wide it takes a minimum of (2) slips are required, man talk about adding cost!
I'm seeing them more and more tied up on the tee-dock hogging up the fairways. I was asked to raft with one this spring and the toe rail was 5 foot higher than mine. That freeboard has got to be a factor in the ability to point.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There was a very good article in the recent issue of Practical Sailor about cats vs keelboats. We enjoyed our 10 days on a 47' Leopard in the BVI's last year. 8 crew onboard. Very hard to hoist the main alone though!

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The 25' and 28' Dragonflys can be trailed. They all fold and they are all fast. I still want a monohull if I'm cruising.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The Farrier and Corsair tris are nice folders and would be my choice for shoal water coastal sailing. I damn near bought an Farrier 22.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Gunni makes a good point in that fiberglass isn't free of maintenance. Acres of it are acres of work or expense.
Being a former 356 owner I can attest that it is a very worthy boat for cruising for a couple. It isn't a sports car but it also isn't like sailing a house. It was far easier to sail than several smaller boats I've owned.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Back on topic. The PO of my boat, a Hunter 29.5 modified it for a single handed older sailor. He retrofitted a furling main, everything run back to the cockpit, traveler on the cabin top. Unfortunately cancer got him before he could really enjoy the boat but I benefited from his foresight. I just pasted the big 70 and plan to go into my 80's with this boat. My experience with cruising on the Florida West coast has been you do a lot of motoring on the ICW. I look at the boat as my sailing trawler.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Sailm8: Nice size boat. My Cat 250 is rigged with lines aft and furling jib. Easy to rig and sail. Chief

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
For us senior sailors, it's tough to beat sailing a larger, fully equipped boat with lines led aft, autohelm, furler. lazy jacks. inboard etc. If anything, it's the maintenance that is the concern.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Those great big cats, with their wide decks (taking up two slips) and patio like features remind me of the RV's taking up space in the Walmart parking lots.

They are for some people.

When I stopped at the dock to fuel my new to me boat, a lady jumped off her GrandBanks power cruiser. Came up to me and said that they had a sailboat, but traded it in on the cabin cruiser. She thought there next step would be an RV.

I thought, with a tear, giving up the water would be a terrible thing.