Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
As others have said, staying in shape and flexibility is extremely important not only for sailing but life in general. If it's to much work for you than try yoga.
Crew can make a big difference in how much work you do. I don't see the need to pay for crew. Join a Meetup.com sailing group in your area. You'll get all the free crew you want. Just specify you want experienced people...or not.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Those who say age is just a number are correct. But it works both ways. I envy folks who are in their 70s and say age is only a number.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Kermit: I do not go so far as saying age is just a number as I think those people are just BS'n themselves. Genetics seems to be a major factor. My father "drank himself to death" as his ol' friends who were dead before he used to say. He died at 89 and Mom at 95, plus I have several Aunts and Uncles who lived to late 90's and early 100's. I just don't quit even though I have post conditions from having Diphtheria in '70 Vietnam and almost died, plus bad hearing and one eye not real good either. Busted up left foot from racing Flattrack. My Dad told his friends he would hope drinking or something would kill him as he would be p!$$ed if he died with nothing wrong with him! ha My best, Chief

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
A good thing about being retired and a trailerable boat. There are clubs that will go to some spot and sail for a few day or week together. Usually couples in the +/- retirement age and these are always fun things to do and its a great way to see a new area.. But you need a trailerable sailboat to join in.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I turned 73 last may and have an O'Day 28. I have the boat set up so I never have to leave the cockpit unless I deploy the whisker pole. I don't think the size of the boat matters much as long as the line handling is setup correctly and a well thought out and adhered to maintenance schedule if followed.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
My Dad took my Laser out when he was 90. That was too small he dumped. To be fair he was out of practice.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
If all you're doing is day sailing said:
I think you may be right. I have very few hours under sail in this boat. Seems every time we've headed somewhere it's been straight upwind. I probably do have to give myself more time.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I'm 70 and have had my Hunter 356 since 2003. I bought it new, equipped it with inmast furling, roller furling, below deck autopilot, and 2003 state of the art electronics. We have an electric anchor windlass but manual winches. My wife has always been with me, but doesn't help with sailing. I effectively single hand all the time, but never leave the cockpit ness I get a sheet hung on my dinghy riding on my bow in front of the mast. We cruised effortlessly from Kentucky Lake to Flordia four years ago and I plan on doing it again before I hang it up.

My biggest issue is keeping the boat clean more than sailing. My previous boat, a Hunter 260 bought new in 1998 was harder to sail than my current one and much more difficult because I didn't have the onboard autopilot and in mast furling. It was more dangerous as I had to go up on deck over the companionway to furl the sail on the boom. I have 1053 days on board and 7873 NM of sailing and many more years and miles to go.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm 70 and have had my Hunter 356 since 2003. I bought it new, equipped it with inmast furling, roller furling, below deck autopilot, and 2003 state of the art electronics. We have an electric anchor windlass but manual winches. My wife has always been with me, but doesn't help with sailing. I effectively single hand all the time, but never leave the cockpit ness I get a sheet hung on my dinghy riding on my bow in front of the mast. We cruised effortlessly from Kentucky Lake to Flordia four years ago and I plan on doing it again before I hang it up.

My biggest issue is keeping the boat clean more than sailing. My previous boat, a Hunter 260 bought new in 1998 was harder to sail than my current one and much more difficult because I didn't have the onboard autopilot and in mast furling. It was more dangerous as I had to go up on deck over the companionway to furl the sail on the boom. I have 1053 days on board and 7873 NM of sailing and many more years and miles to go.
Thanks for this, Jerry. We have an H260. We wonder at times if a larger boat with more helpful additions would be easier. I sometimes feel like a 30-year-old stuck in an 80-year-old body. But I'm actually 59.

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Thank you, all for your comments and ideas. Here are my takeaways:
1. Make sure the boat matches your use plan. In our case, we have two perhaps conflicting use cases, a project and weekend water toy or a floating vacation cottage for two, plus eventually a grandchild or two. This boat excels at the second, struggles with the first.

2. Allow time to get used to the boat and make whatever changes to sailing systems to make it a more successful solo sailor. This is excellent advice.

3. I did take a look at a salty little 23 footer that would make a wonderful Saturday afternoon toy. I hadn't been in a sitting headroom cabin for a very long time. I think I would be OK for a weekend or so, but I would definitely be cruising alone.

4. Safety in a larger boat. I hadn't really considered this point before, but it's true things happen much more quickly on a smaller boat. And the smaller the boat, the older the grandchild would have to come on board.

An interesting dilemma.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Kermit: I enjoyed the H260 but my wife only tolerated it. We decided after 5 years of the 260 to get a bigger boat for cruising and for just staying on at Kentucky Lake. We put a Northern Lights generator, Bimini and dodger year round and a full enclosure for 6 months. We use the boat for 9 months a year and about 75 days. We have a KVH antenna with Dish Network and watch all the University of Tennessee football games and other tv. We run the generator continuously when not at the dock and keep the salon at 72 degrees whether heating or cooling. We do not worry about power usage and have computers, IPads and IPhones charging whenever we need it. We watched Alabama and Tennessee play football in the Gulf of Mexico! The 356 has all the amenities and enough space to be comfortable. It doesn't move around like the 260 did when you move about the boat. With the autopilot and the sheets all terminating in the cockpit, it is so much easier to sail than the 260. It is the right boat for us. We took it to Flordia in 2013-14 on a 6 month cruise and spent a little over 50% of that time in the boat. The rest we were back and forth to Tennessee. We could never have done that on our 260 and without the generator and HVAC we were uncomfortable a lot of the time, either hot or cold, and we didn't spend more than one weekend a year on the boat. I know about the 80 year old body thing. I had a heart attack at 52, double bypass, stents a year later, a defibrillator a year after that, and stents again 5 years ago. I handle the 356 with ease! I still think I'm still much younger too, but I know it after a hard day of cleaning!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Nothing quite like an AP to help you sail the boat. There comes a time when you realize that you really can't do it all.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I started sailing Hobie 16 and much younger and was fun for sure but I wanted something bigger to do over nightingale and was always a camper but wife wanted more comfort and less ruffing.
My wife like most women love their home and when going on vacation want to be on vacation not working.
I am so lucky that she goes with me on or 2007 H-36 with many amenities to make easy comfort for her and I do all the sailing and she does most the cooking and having Inmast and small roller furling jib makes sailing my 36 pretty easy for sure and our boat is at a dock so just drop the lines and off we go and do at least 2-3 week cruises to the keys and north to Tarpon Springs with many other sailors in our club and so my wife enjoys most times.
It's all about sailing and less work so sailing my boat is the easy part but cleaning and maintaining is the hard part and I am 71 and back problems making the maintaining harder but I don't think going smaller easy,a lot of club members are switching to trawlers to make their life easy.
Nick

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A lot of talk about bigger being safer and more comfortable. But is it more fun? What about the old image of the retired guy in a flat hat, driving the sports car we mistakenly associate with youth.

Which is more fun to drive, a Winabeago or a bicycle? The answer is a bicycle. If you find it undignified, the weakness there is obvious, and for most of use it is only physically difficult because we don't.

So the question is which is more fun; a day sailing boat or a cruising boat that we don't cruise (and very few "Cruising boats even leave the dock, let alone cruise more than 2 nights a year)? I've had fast boats. I've cruised more than most and less than others, but about enough (I'm a little boarded with that). I'm ready for that sports car. Maybe a lot of us are, but we're just afraid someone will see that as a step downwards in social position. I don't see it that way. Again, the Alerion 28 makes my point, although that is not the boat for me. The point is that it is a fine boat for the person who doesn't feel like sailing a house.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
In the past.. I knew a guy in his 80's that was still doing some fairly rigorous hiking. He used to say something like "use it or lose it".

Probably also applies to sailing regardless of the different directions that can be taken.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I don't personally feel that sailing is all that rigorous to be classified as real exercise. I do agree it can help by continuing to be active but I do not rely on it for any form of conditioning. I use full body entire muscle constriction held for about 2 minutes with weight only on butt, next do full arm extensions,rotate them clockwise and then counter for about 2 minutes. I use a full body layout on my toes and elbows with straight body for a couple minutes. You can tell if you do them long enough as you will start to tremble. Run in place if you can't do regular runs. Chief

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Thinwater, why not go with a Dragonfly 28. Way more fun, way more speed, trailerable and no exterior wood work to maintain.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Every spring when I take a break from bottom / topside prep and walk the yard looking at all the other boats I am struck by the shear acreage of fiberglass on the increasingly popular cats and tris. Two, or three bottoms to prep and tape off, four to six top sides to buff out. Then there is that +25 foot of beam deck, cabin top and often a flying bridge. A fiberglass cockpit that is as big as my patio at home. I don't think this is the future of recreational sailing, at least I hope it isn't.