Older sailors - upsize or downsize?

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
After being out of sailing for 15 years or so, I've recently purchased a Hunter 33. Love the boat. It sails well, has a great roomy cabin and can go anywhere I am likely to want to go.
But I am beginning to believe it's too big for my older body. I find I am just as likely to sit on the mooring as go through the workout to go sailing.
I am thinking i would get in more sailing in 22 to 25 footer with fewer systems to maintain and a lighter hull to move around.
So my question to you older sailors is it better to move up to nicer accommodations or downsize for easier management.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Hey, Mike. I took up sailing again after a 15 year hiatus, intending to singlehand like I used to in Maine. My dear wife pointed out that I was a lot older now and that wouldn't be a good idea. So I bought a used 32 footer and hired crew. I love it. The crewman does all the heavy lifting and I have someone to talk to. Even with a smaller boat, you're going to have problems (and no one to talk to).

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm struggling similarly. I love sailing. But dang it can be hard work. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Really? Before or after knee surgery? Before or after shoulder replacement?
Most of these ailments are due to musculature gone atrophic, and failing to support the attendant skeleton.
Or not.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are a bunch of old guys at my marina who regularly sail their ~30 boats. By old guys, I mean guys who have been on Medicare for a long time. They move slower, don't go out when its nasty and will sail with a smaller headsail, but they are out there.

Like JSG implied, a little time at the gym makes sailing a lot more enjoyable. That's been the case for me.

If you're going to use the words "Senior Citizen" near me, make sure the next word is "Discount." :biggrin:

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
So I bought a used 32 footer and hired crew. I love it. The crewman does all the heavy lifting and I have someone to talk to. Even with a smaller boat, you're going to have problems (and no one to talk to).[/QUOTE]
I absolutely love this idea. No only do you have company, but they have agree with you or risk getting fired. Unfortunately my cruise fund would not support paid crew. It barely pays for my own beer.

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
I have a buddy at 84 that sails his 37 with his wife and another on a 32 single hand but he's younger only 78. It's not your age it how you feel.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sailing alone - go smaller.

Sailing with help - do what you want.

That's my 2 cents worth...

dj

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We have several boats in the 27 to 31 foot range in our YC with conversions to self tacking jibs. It is a huge reduction in effort to easily sail the boats. Our 95% composite jib with vertical battens is a great step in the right direction, but in hind sight I kind of wish I had installed a self tacker as well.

I agree with Charlie about the upkeep! One of these years crawling backwards into the lazaretto to fix stuff is going to be a little too arduous. Not yet... but the time is getting closer.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The "just get in shape" argument is half true and half not, in my experience. Atrophy contributes to some conditions, and activity and proper PT really matter as we age, but some of my injuries are the result of an active life and high impacts. It also varies with the person, and such broad statements about fitness are frankly, rude. You can't know the whole story.

More to the point, what if the sailor simply doesn't feel like cruising anymore? What is the sense in dragging a cruising boat around on a day sail? It makes about as much sense as taking a Winnebago out for an afternoon spin. Both are arguably (obviously?) the wrong tool for the job. The Alerion 28 Express, for example, makes this point.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I am grappling with the boat issue too. I can easily sail my 32 footer solo, but don't like it that much. Its more of a safety concern. Sailing on Lake Michigan can get more than a bit bumpy at times. Docking alone at a seawall tieup can get a little hairy in wind and/ or current when you are trying to parallel park a 32 foot boat in a 50 foot space.
My able bodied crew passed away last year, and she is going to be difficult to replace. After 47 years we could manage the boat without even having to give each other directions.
As for the maintenance, I could probably afford to pay someone, but there is a trust issue combined with the fact that my labor is cheap.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
One serious point I'd like to bring up is that most smaller boats are also much more tender. It takes very large waves to rock my world on my 41. I find it very stable and as I just had shoulder surgery and can't even lift a gallon of water with my predominate hand yet, I'm happy to be on such sturdy vessel. I remember my 25.5 if a 14 knot gust hit we were heeled over good and if you weren't paying attention you could get launched. If a 25 knot gust hits the 41 she simultaneously speeds up and heels over. Both happen at a much slower rate and she can hold full sails at 25 knots.