Old Wilcox Crittenden heads

Jun 24, 2018
John Alden 1929 Yawl Stratford, CT.
Thanks for the great site! Now the tough question. I have the ancient A.B. Sands marine sanitary water closet "Knockabout" 1909? I know they were bought out by WC. After removing 100yrs of paint it still pumps out but the leathers are torn. Would the WC1599 rebuild kit work? Any help much appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi Scott...I see you've just joined our merry band today...Welcome aboard!

Wow! You're the first person ever to tell me he has an A.B. Sands toilet. I've never heard of the Knockabout....I'd LOVE to have a photo of it...the only A.B. Sands toilet photos I have are of their Sanette. If I send you a PM with my email address would you please send me one or all you have if you have more? . As nearly as I can ascertain, W-C bought A.B. Sands sometime in the 1940s...I'm getting conflicting info exactly when. I have several photos of the W-C "Winner" pump including one that still has "Sands" embossed onto it. I'm still trying to find out whether it was introduced in the '20s or the 30s.

To answer your question...I don't know whether the 1599 kit has leathers that will work. Any chance you can make new ones using the old ones as templates? I have exploded drawings of the Winner, Imperial and Skipper....some of the leathers may be interchangeable. I can send those to you.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Apr 29, 2018
Alden Off Soundings Robinhood Cove
Thanks for the great site! Now the tough question. I have the ancient A.B. Sands marine sanitary water closet "Knockabout" 1909? I know they were bought out by WC. After removing 100yrs of paint it still pumps out but the leathers are torn. Would the WC1599 rebuild kit work? Any help much appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Apr 29, 2018
Alden Off Soundings Robinhood Cove
Google pump leathers. I found a site that sells all kinds of pump parts. I am not connected to internet right now so no link. Defender has a kit with leathers that fit my junior but the bowl gasket did not fit. You can buy gasket material from Grainger. I would measure the leathers and order online. The weighted gaskets worked but you can make new ones using the old bronze weights which never seem to wear out. The rest of the parts you can get at a hardware store. I got spud gaskets at plumbing supply house.3/4 in urinal gaskets. I used o rings for the gaskets on the pipes. I spent some time sanding and polishing the castings because it is easier to clean. Worth rebuilding

Jun 24, 2018
Thank you! Funny how you can get obsessed with a toilet. I've been cleaning and polishing, removing sheared bolts and losening severly over tight fittings for days when I should be working on the boat. I stated 1909 because there is that date stamped on the main plunger housing along with the "#5" but it is more logical that it was installed as of the 1929 build. You bet it's going back in! Thanks again.

Jun 24, 2018
Hi Peggie,
Thanks for the welcome and the reply. As I disect the knockabout #5...found that on the back of the pump chamber, I can see that it has been rebuilt in the past. Rubber gaskets and broken bolts are a good sign of that. Scott

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ever wondered where the practice of pouring vegetable oil down the toilet to lubricate the pump originated? All the early manual toilets had leather seals, gaskets etc, which--because leather asbsorbs oil-- were kept lubricated by flushing a tablespoon or two of oil (typically linseed oil) when the toilet could sit for at least a few hours. It lasted for months. Today, the only thing that can last longer than a few flushes in a toilet pump full of rubber and neoprene is thick teflon or silicon grease, which also lasts for months. But even though oil just washes out in a few flushes, people still insist on pouring it down the toilet--vegetable oil mostly because it's readily available and cheap--when it would actually be easier and cheaper to learn how to squirt a little grease into the pump once or twice a year.
--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Feb 27, 2019
Shannon 39 Dover, DE
Looking for a repair kit for a WC Junior No. 51. Links above are either unresponsive or out-of-stock. Leaking out around piston rod. Have been tightening packing nut, but it's about as tight as it will go,now, and it's still leaking. Maybe it just needs new packing. Would stuffing box packing work?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hi Tommy...welcome to sailboatowners.com!

Thetford bought W-C several years ago for only one reason: W-C was the US importer for Tecma macerating electric toilets and Thetford wanted Tecma. They promptly discontinued all the W-C toilets and parts. They still sell any kits and parts left in inventory and you may find a few retailers who have some left, but that's all. Most people are making their own now. See post #24 in this thread. In fact, if you haven't already I suggest you read the whole thread...which, btw, was begun in 2014!

The Junior is the "compact" version of the Imperial...uses the same parts...so you might have better luck searching for an Imperial kit if you get lucky. I have the parts lists and exploded drawings for all the W-C toilets...send me PM (private message) that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM) and I'll be glad to send 'em to anyone who wants/needs one.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Shannon 39 Dover, DE
Thanks, Peggie. Are the parts list and exploded diagram the same as here- Marinesan.com/Wilcox-Imperial-Junior-51-s/281.htm? I think it's item 17 that needs replacing. May try the Teflon flax packing that I use for my prop shaft stuffing box. Post 24 sounds like a total rebuild. Hope to have time to do that some day.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the forum @Tommy B ... You start out with a real challenge. And you get advice from the best... Ms Peggie.

Hope you solve you challenge. Keep us informed of your progress. have fun on the forum. Load a picture of your Shannon 39...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
QUOTE="Tommy B, post: 1518450, member: 144100"]Are the parts list and exploded diagram the same as here- Marinesan.com/Wilcox-Imperial-Junior-51-s/281.htm?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they are.
--Peggie