Old O'Day boat?

Apr 15, 2017
O'Day 12 -
Hi there!
I'm not a sailor, rather just a guy who bought a house a couple of years ago that came with an old sailboat in the woods out back. A photo of the tag is below; the boat is 11'8" long. As I am finally getting around to figuring out what to do with it, I would be very grateful for anyone who can tell me anything about the boat's age, as well as what you think it might be worth in this condition (if even just a case of beer from whoever comes to pick it up).

A few pictures are below; as you can see, the boat has been sitting there for some time, but the hull seems in good shape and it is definitely watertight (I spent a while just now bailing it out). I don't have the sail, rudder, or anything beyond what you can see in the pictures.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide!
-Nate

IMG_20170415_103806974.jpeg
IMG_20170415_103845712.jpeg
IMG_20170415_103834597.jpeg

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
That looks like the hull for an old O'day 12.
I assume that you have no daggerboard, rudder or spars...You can't put an outboard on it unless you get an external mount.
It might make a nice nautically-themed planter...

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
To bad the hull contains the number of the beast. You'll have to give it away!! Do you have other parts and pieces mast, boom, rudder, daggerboards or sails. Before you invest in buying pieces to make you whole see way it would cost for a complete used one

Les

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Not a Widgeon or an O'DAY 12, they would be 12'4" LOA and wider. This is an INTERCLUB-Class dinghy which O'DAY was the builder of for a while. They are raced at several yacht clubs and are a popular "frost-bite" boat (raced during the winter as long as there is no ice. Since raced In cold weather, the races are jokingly refered to as Frostbiting)
https://interclub.org/

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
For comparison, here are pictures of an O'DAY 12, a 1963-70 vintage Widgeon, a 1971-83 vintage Widgeon, and a 1984 and later Widgeon. The Widgeon had pivoting CB, the O'DAY 12 had a wooden daggerboard. The Interclub had a wooden, pivoting centerboard (weighted enough to lower easily).
Forgot to mention that the O'DAY 12 used the same hull as the Widgeon, different deck. Also forgot to mention that the fact that she was built by Marscot Plastics for O'DAY, and not directly by O'DAY means the boat was built prior to about 1961, when Marscot stopped building sailboats and George O'DAY started building the boats In his own factory.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
You could try posting it on craigslist and see if you get any interest, just having someone haul it away for you would save you the hassle of dealing with it. Lots of similar listings here around the Chesapeake sit for a long time because of the age or lack of interest. If it needs to go sooner than later you may have to haul it yourself. Good luck!

Apr 15, 2017
O'Day 12 -
So sorry for the delayed response, everyone-- thanks so much for the help info and advice. I think I'm going to post it for free to anyone who has friends available to come help them pick it up. Thanks again!