Registered users don't see ads

Old Genoa - Bin it or recycle it?

Discussion in 'Ask All Sailors' started by onlinelee, Dec 7, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. onlinelee

onlinelee

Joined Apr 8, 2016
    98 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361 Clipper
    Sp Spain Garrucha, Spain
    Hi friends,
    When I bought my B361 it came with an old 134% genoa. I just inspected it and found the bulk of the sail and luff tape of the 8oz Dacron is in super condition, it looks like it became the spare due to damage to the U/V strip & leech caused by the shroud bottle screws. Im taking delivery of a brand new sail suite next week so will have another spare! Rather than bin the sail I considered recycling it by having a sailmaker cutting it down to a " Heavy Weather " sail and hoped for some suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance.

2. Sailm8

Sailm8

Joined Feb 21, 2008
    1,387 posts, 103 likes
    Hunter 29.5
    US Punta Gorda
    If you decide to toss your sails check out seabags.com. My wife donated our old torn jib in exchange for a free bag.

jviss, Kermit, Roland5048 and 2 others like this.
  3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    588 posts, 147 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    If you need a heavy weather sail, that sounds like a great idea. Your sail maker will know best about that option, of course. You could also just keep it as the spare it has been. Maybe, just replace the UV strip.
    Stitching is all good, no crackling, cloth has stiffness without being brittle?
    - Will (Dragonfly)

4. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    437 posts, 107 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI
    As you probably know, typical irreparable sail damage is stretching due to excess use - 'blown out'. If this was taken out of the rotation due to leech damage, and it's not blown out, then why not keep it as another club in your bag. Are you racing or cruising, and what are your other sails? Personally, I've found that I'd like a non-overlapping sail, rather than a true storm sail, for my boat. Something like a 90% jib would give me a more comfortable ride in gales (34 kt +) rather than a rolled genoa.

onlinelee likes this.
  5. onlinelee

onlinelee

Joined Apr 8, 2016
    98 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361 Clipper
    Sp Spain Garrucha, Spain
    As I will have another " spare " due to my impending delivery, I really like the idea of cutting it down, but I guess they will ask " to what size " and rather than ask their advice of what would be a good size to have as a " smaller " Genoa I prefer the advice of you guys! It would be for use in the Med, cruising only, I have a new 134%, and a 150%.

6. lillia28

lillia28

Joined Jul 22, 2011
    97 posts, 11 likes
    Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28
    US Atlantic Highlands, NJ Atlantic Highlands, NJ
    Heavy weather sails are smaller, but are usually heavier sail cloth, to withstand stronger winds. Making a small "heavy weather sail" using light weather sail cloth, older and worn sailcloth at that, is an idea with certain internal inconsistancies. A smaller working jib, for sure. The storm jib my boat came with is about a 90%, but dramatically heavier than the 135. My usual storm tactic is to stay home and watch it on TV, so take this for what it is worth.
    Lou

Will Gilmore likes this.
  7. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    588 posts, 147 likes
    O'Day 19
    You know, that's my tactic too but, sometimes my timing isn't good enough for that to work every time.
    Excellent point about the sail weight. If it does get used for a storm jib it needs to stand up to the storm.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

8. 31seahorse

31seahorse

Joined Aug 2, 2005
    756 posts, 59 likes
    Caliber 28
    US Schuylkill Haven, PA and Penn Yan, NY Penn Yan, NY
    Recut for cockpit shade while at anchor? Use a corner piece for an anchor-riding sail? Cover to provide shade for the next summer picnic? Since "the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" (as the saying goes) you could cover anything to keep it drier.

9. onlinelee

onlinelee

Joined Apr 8, 2016
    98 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361 Clipper
    Sp Spain Garrucha, Spain
    For sure a good idea but I already have all that covered - excuse the pun!

10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    588 posts, 147 likes
    O'Day 19
    Never excuse a good pun, it's a sign of weakness.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

onlinelee likes this.
  11. agprice22

agprice22

Joined Aug 3, 2012
    1,754 posts, 234 likes
    Performance Cruising Telstar 28
    US Upstate New York Watkins Glen
    Wait, Wait, Wait... did you just use a GOLF metaphor in a sailing forum?? :waycool:
    Clearly you overestimate us!

Kermit and Will Gilmore like this.
  12. onlinelee

onlinelee

Joined Apr 8, 2016
    98 posts, 7 likes
    Beneteau 361 Clipper
    Sp Spain Garrucha, Spain
    Yes, I get that. I didn't want to use the term " storm jib " because its not my intension to sail in a storm, and unlikely, coastal hopping in the Med. However, knowing that winds could possibly get up on passage a smaller head sail may be preferable to a reefed 134%? Although its not the perfect weight for the job its kind of better than consigning it to the scrap heap.

Ken Cross and Will Gilmore like this.
  13. Roland5048

Roland5048

Joined May 12, 2004
    810 posts, 180 likes
    Hunter Cherubini 30
    US New Port Richey
    I did exactly that with my old main and jib. They made me a tote out of the sails, sewed the sail logo onto it and added my GF's name in semaphore in exchange for the sails. Made a great gift that she uses every time we go sailing.

Parsons likes this.
  14. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,769 posts, 953 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    Great idea. But if my wife learns semaphore she’ll know it’s your girlfriend’s name on her bag. Ouch!

Parsons, Will Gilmore and Roland5048 like this.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!