Old Boat - Old wiring - old batteries

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Roy, just a question... NOT judgement:
I've been reading umpteen posts here and elsewhere by Mainsail and he reminds us that negative wires should be black or yellow. In looking at your re-do pic, I not sure if the lower terminal strip is positive or negative based on the color of wires attached. Is the lower the negative?
But regardless, your set up shore is purty!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Thank you for your comments. Lower strip is negative. I could not maintain color standards in all cases. Wherever there was a two wire boat cable I used the other than black or yellow for the positive. When I purchased the boat it had many circuits run in romex, single conductors, and zip cord ending in the usual rat's nest. Those problems are now gone. In the future I hope to move the circuit breaker panel to a different location utilizing the terminal strips as a junction point.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just an update to this post,
I was faced with a charger problem. It died. That was to be expected as I think it was installed in 1975. So I did a couple of things. I cleaned up the charging wiring - removing the 12 AWG and installing 6AWG from a new Sterling Pro Ultra 40 amp charger to the new Positive Buss bar with new fuses,. Changed the connections of the 2 batteries making them a single bank. Removed the alternator for either replacement/restoring (in the shop), installed new jumper wiring, removed the old black tape and covered the 1AWG wire with RED adhesive heat shrink (clarifying the wire is on the positive side to the 1/2 Both switch) till new battery wires are received.

Old IMG_1059.JPG vs NEW IMG_1645.JPG

Here is the new work Over all layout
IMG_1648.JPG

Negative buss bar
IMG_1647.JPG

Positive buss bar with fuse block
IMG_1651.JPG
Still need to add fuse to wire out top of buss bar. It provides power to shower sump pump.

Progress is happening despite the 29-36 degree weather.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Great job John. Now I'm sorry I didn't stop by your boat yesterday!! Let me know how you like the charger. One might be in my future

Oct 22, 2014
It sure is perty...
Not leaving it on when not on the boat. Turned it on and it shows 15.1-2 Volts output to the batteries. At 5.6 amps. when set in "OpenFlood Cell". Asked MaineSail about it and he thought it was due to cold temps and temp sensing. I removed the temp connection at the battery neg terminal got the same reading. So turned it off. Need more info about the programming and the info being shown. The manual has a chart and indicates the Volt meter should read 14.8 when charging. My analog meter on the DC panel shows above 15 volts when the charger is on. The batteries are about 55 degrees, water level is normal.

Need more information to better understand the new system. Do like the setup. Will be ready to upgrade the batteries to more AmpHrs as planned.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Asked MaineSail about it and he thought it was due to cold temps and temp sensing. I removed the temp connection at the battery neg terminal got the same reading.

My response was; "With it physically unplugged from the charger it will regulate to your settings".

This is different from removing the sensor from the battery post.. You need to physically unplug it from the charger or it will simply adjust for ambient temp near the batteries.

Oct 22, 2014
My apologies MaineSail. I did not intend to impinge your advise and I will be more careful in reading your responses.

I did think about it when I observed a green led on the unit but did not have enough time to unplug it and check again after I removed the connection from the battery. I suspect the sensor even without connection it might provide a signal of the room temp as the battery temp. I thank you for this insight.
This likely explains why the panel indicated a green light where the "5) Auto temp control, shows the battery temp sensor is connected and operational." As I indicated, I needed to get more information about the unit and its workings. Thank you for helping me and the rest of us sailors.