Old age problems

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I picked up my Venture 21 in December 1970 at the factory in Costa Mesa Ca. and took it home to Michigan. It has followed me in many moves as I chased jobs through Ohio Indiana, and North Carolina.
It is a sailboat so does not have nor never had a motor. It has been used mainly on inland lakes, some quite large, and on the protected part of the inland waterway. The boat has been stored on its factory trailer all of its life and kept in a garage for about half of its life. It seems to be in good condition.
As it approaches 50 years old what should I look for in an old fiberglass boat that may indicate big problems? (The keel was rebuilt about 20 years ago )
Any specific areas of the Venture 21 that are prone to fail from old age?

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
I dont have an answer but wanted to say thats awesome you've been sailing the same boat all these years and without a motor, WOW....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Most trailer sailors go that route to catch different lakes. I didn't even consider folks that move often. Sounds like it is/was the perfect boat for you. I think there is much speculation on the longevity of fiberglass boats. The fact that it is stored inside of of the elements works greatly in your favor.
Personally, if I didn't find any soft spots or deformation I'd call it good.
Way to go Knuttle! :thumbup:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
First off I would like to echo others congratulations on being the original owner for a boat this long. It sounds as though she has been well loved.

As far as the wood, fiberglass, and stainless steel go age itself isn't a problem. The only age related issue for the boat would be the bedding of your deck fittings and the rubber washers around the keel bolts. Wear and exposure to the elements are the things you need to be concerned with. The pintles and gudgeons will often be the first place you see wear. Check for soft spots, as Justin said, by stepping all over the deck listening and feeling for anything that might indicate core damage. I would check the rigging for signs of wear and corrosion but wouldn't blindly replace it just because it's old, especially if she's been inside for half her life. First check each fitting closely and make sure the cable hasn't slipped. Make sure there isn't any pitting around either the fitting or the cable. Then run your hands along the length of each cable feeling for kinks or broken wires. Also check the bow-eye. Make sure it hasn't come loose or been worn or distorted from the trailer winch.

You mentioned overhauling the keel but it may be time to drop it again for a good inspection. This would also give you a chance to inspect the cable and it's fittings for any signs of wear or corrosion. It also wouldn't hurt to overhaul the keel winch.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Congrats Knuttle, We bought our '68 V-21 in 1970. Freedom turned 40 this year. A lot of miles and memories. Other than comfort improvements and some maintenance, she has held up well. I would warn against the dreaded "polyestermites":yikes: (No such animal.) I have given thought to selling her but it would be like selling one of my kids, which I have considered on occasion. Old sailors never die they just lose their ballast.