Okeechobee Waterway on a 310

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
And then of course there are the alligators anywhere in fresh water.....
The last time I transited the Waterway, about 5 years ago, there had been an incident at Moore Haven involving alligators. A couple of young lads decided to swim across the waterway. One of the boys turned back, but the other continued on and was attacked by a gator. I believe he was severely injured, and survived. The next day, our boat was disabled in the waterway, when one of our props got wrapped by protective sheathing that had been placed along the bank. The skipper dove on the prop to free it, and the rest of us watched for gators. We were wishing we had shotguns at that point. Eventually, the prop was freed and we were on our way. I understand there was a bounty on the gators at that time.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The last time I transited the Waterway, about 5 years ago, there had been an incident at Moore Haven involving alligators. A couple of young lads decided to swim across the waterway. One of the boys turned back, but the other continued on and was attacked by a gator. I believe he was severely injured, and survived. The next day, our boat was disabled in the waterway, when one of our props got wrapped by protective sheathing that had been placed along the bank. The skipper dove on the prop to free it, and the rest of us watched for gators. We were wishing we had shotguns at that point. Eventually, the prop was freed and we were on our way. I understand there was a bounty on the gators at that time.
We owned a home in Naples for 9 years. We have dogs who sail with us in the summer. The entire time we lived there I worried about alligators and my dogs. It is difficult to not walk close to fresh water. An incident reported by someone on this board I believe where an alligator grabbed his golden retriever pushed me over the edge. We have a golden retriever and a dachsy. We sold the place and never looked back. Florida is a beautiful state but there are dangers, especially if you live near the 'Glades or other fresh water.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My family own a home and land in the ‘glades. Have a chain link fence around the property. It keeps the gators and coyotes out of the yard. I once saw a pack of coyotes drag a poodle into the Arizona sagebrush, he was baited by a female showing her hindquarter. Dogs.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
My family own a home and land in the ‘glades. Have a chain link fence around the property. It keeps the gators and coyotes out of the yard. I once saw a pack of coyotes drag a poodle into the Arizona sagebrush, he was baited by a female showing her hindquarter. Dogs.
Ha! We used to drive those back roads in the 'Glades and we would come across these isolated homes and every one had a chain link fence. Then there were these culverts or streams with beautiful birds and alligators galore. We were always reluctant to get out of the car to take a leak. Those alligators can run incredibly fast for short distances. Never underestimate their speed.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Those alligators can run incredibly fast for short distances. Never underestimate their speed.
We were having coffee one morning outside our RV at Big Cypress Swamp, just north of the Everglades, watching a Great Blue Heron wading on the other side of a small pond. I looked away, and, when I looked back, the heron was gone. Actually, there was an alligator lying where the bird had been, and there was a wing sticking out of each side of the gator's mouth. He had appeared in the blink of an eye.

Feb 5, 2019
Pearson 303 Jacksonville, FL
We pinged the bottom of the Long Island Bridge in Boston Harbor once. The chart quoted a 50' air draft. Double checked the tide, and noticed high tide had been two feet higher than normal. Oh well, at least the bridge is no longer there.
Don't they have water level bridge clearance signs on the bumpers?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I joined my friend for a game of golf in South Carolina, I thought the most dangerous thing I’d see that morning is him using the eraser when recording his score...

Then I saw this scene across the pond. A Gator and a Turtle in a staredown...
8A709BFB-FB5E-4628-9706-F0746F6CA6AF.jpeg

It was clear away on the other side of the pond. No problem.

I hit my tee shot into a sand trap on the front of the par 3. No problem I thought. I grabbed my sand iron and marched into the sand and plopped the ball up, out and near the hole...

My friend was standing on the green above the trap with his camera. I thought He was there to record for posterity my terrific sand shot... No. He took this picture of the cruiser about 20 feet away and below the trap I was in...
A0CD4873-DA3C-4640-B677-0DD04FA408DE.jpeg

Fastest exit from the sand I ever had. No raking of the sand.. If there going to have this type of added excitement they can rake their own sand...

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Respect the gators! I have seen "a few" in the bayous and swamps in south Louisiana and from a young age, my dad and grandfather cautioned me to give them a wide berth since they can outrun a human for a short distance!