Ok, now opinions on the Hunter 260

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alan Russell

My wife and I have been sailing our 19' potter on the East and West coasts of Florida for over a year now. We've enjoyed overnighting, but we find the potter a little cramped. In looking for the 'perfect' boat. We looked at the 23.5 and 240, and we liked them. We also looked at a nearby Catalina 250WB, and we liked it even more. I think though we want the Hunter 260. Its bigger, lighter, and has more headroom than the Catalina 250. I do a little open ocean sailing in the potter (within 10 miles of the coast), and mostly sail in semi-protected water. I also like to single hand the boat, and that is very imporant when we have our 19 month old daughter aboard (as someone needs to be dedicated to child happyness). What is the optimum healing angle of the hunter 260's (I'm assuming the sail about the same, as they are pretty similar)? On the potter anything beyond about 15 degrees of heal is slower (although it can feel fun!). Are their any weakpoints on the boats that should be looked for, or standard modifications that need to have been made, for example on potters a new ida sailor rudder bottom half is needed otherwise you get mega weather helm. Can two people really sleep in the aft berth, and how hard is it to get into that berth? Do you guys add a few opening ports so you can get some airflow? When single handing is it hard to operate the motor and the tiller at the same time? Or do most of you use a electric start engine, with remote controls? I'm in west palm beach, Florida and if you know of one for sale please feel free to email me at kartdude99 AT yahoo.com Also if anyone has a boat in the area where I could take a gander at it and chat, that would bee good too. If you already read this when I was looking at the 23.5/240 sorry!

Jun 15, 2004
- - Edmond, OK
Can't comment on relative sailing traits

compared to other boats, but for ours, "mandatory" modifications include canvass covers of all wood (decreases maintenance, and in the case of the cabin cover, decreases water leaking in) and rudder-motor linkage to aid close quarters steering. Probably more (like furling headsail, stern rail seats, instruments, and wheel steering), but those were on our when purchased and I've seen few 260's without them, so they are, for all practical purposes, standardd equipment. Aft berth is fine for 2, just make sure you take care of head business before climbing in. Electric start with remote. I've heard that alot of folks have replace the rudder with an Idasailor, but ours is stil just fine.

F

Fred

How about the Hunter 26? They're less expensive

Is the 260 a big improvement?

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
I'll do my best to respond point by point

Alan, I sailed for years on smaller boat, but not a Potter, so I'll do my best addressing your questions. - We've sailed our 260 for 4 years now, and I can compare its performance to my dad's 23' S2 in Ft. Myers. I wouldn't feel comfortable going 10 miles offshore in his S2, and I don't know if I'd feel comfortable in a 260 with water ballast - but if you're comfortable in a WW Potter 19 with a retractable keel then you might be. I sail Lake Erie, which is known for quick, strong storms, and as long as we're careful we're fine. - I'm looking at the online description (http://www.westwightpotter.com/potter-19/) for comparisons. While the 260's cockpit is self draining, like the Potter's, the 260 doesn't have any foam floatation, so don't let the cabin flood. - Single handing is a piece of cake, as all lines lead to the cockpit. I used to work in downtown Toledo and sailed back and forth to work in the summer single-handed. I could raise and lower the main, furl the jib, dock with no problems, and that's dealing with a river current. - I agree with your 15 degree angle, and as everyone will tell you a WB boat is more tender than a keel boat and you need to reef sails above 10 knots to prevent more heeling. Reefing is about the same work as lowering the main competely. -I'd agree with Mike's points on the weaknesses. In heavy rains I'll get a cup of water in the cabin from the slide top, which a canvass cover would prevent. I don't have a rudder-engine linkage, I just raise the rudder completely when maneuvering close quarters and use the motor directly. Electric start on anything bigger than an 8HP is best for my back. Personally I found the table too big and cut it down in size (see the archives) as many do. -My wife and I sleep in the aft berth all the time, a double size bed which is fine. As Mike says, hit the head first, though! If you have a 19 month old the fore berth is perfect. My daughter slept up there until she was 9 and loved having her own little "room" with the curtains. Airflow throughout is okay, but we added one 12v fan up near the fore berth and one in the aft berth to move more air. -And as Fred suggests, the 26 is also a great deal!

L

LKYusnret

I've had my 260 since 2001

We have installed central AC and heating, refrigerator/freezer, flat screen TV/DVD, 2 burner stove, GPS/Auto-pilot, steering coupling between motor and rudder, fluorescent below deck lighting, etc. The wife and I have sailed to Bimini in the Bahamas twice from Miami. We are taking our 260 on an 8,000 mile trip around the Eastern half of the US starting in March-April should take us a year or more, we have our Corbin 39 in Green Cove Springs on the ST Johns and are starting our Great American Loop from there. To answer your questions. We find that the flatter we sail the better, always put a first reef at 12-14 kts then a second reef at 16 kts. My only complaint is that the deck below deck flexes. We run a spinnaker at winds below 8 kts. My wife sleeps in the V-berth and I sleep in the aft berth (one of us snore) I keep the hatch above the aft berth open (keep the screen on) we also use 2 fans along with the AC. We have motor controls on the pedestal so motor operation is a snap. You might want to look at some of my improvements in the photo forum, that might give you some ideas John USNret

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Alan, mods to my H260

Alan, Here is a link to some things I did to my H260 a few years ago. I nolonger have the boat, moved upto a H356. My wife and I really liked the H260, it was a fun boat. Healing is around 15-18degs and it sails well. Jim S/V Java

A

Alan Russesll

Trailering

I am going to trailer the boat with every use. Dockage here is quite expensive, I've not seen anything under $350 per month. We also don't have any public places that allow mast up storage. My big concerns are reports of Hunter boats being poorly made. But I hear this about many boats, MacGregors, Catalinas, my Potter. I think a lot of that comes prehaps from people comparing a 1200lb trailer sailer (like my potter) to something like a 6000lb Flicka. I really hope I can find someone in the area who has a H260 that I can cheese a boat ride out of. It will be several months before I buy one, I'm sure. I want to pay off some other bills before I consider a new one (I'm going to have to finance this puppy!). We are going to be on the other coast next weekend (the 27th) to see my mom and let her spend time with her granddaughter.. So hopefully some boats will show up for sale in the tampa/st. pete area that we can gander at.

J

Jeff Prideaux

trailering every use?

Alan, If you plan to trailer every use, then I would highly recommend that you personally witness someone setting up, launching, retrieving, and packing up a H260 for a days use in the water. That way you can find out if it is something you can do by yourself or if you must have another person helping. For example, I trailer sail my H216 all by myself and can set do everything by myself. My wife is usually entertaining the kids when I'm setting up and launching the boat.... Since the H260 is quite a bit bigger then the H216, I would imaging that there are some aspects to trailer sailing that may be more difficult with the H260 than my H216... Note that the H216 has a smaller cabin than the Potter-19. Jeff

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Here's the deal.......

Alan, Kelli and I are sailing up to St Pete/Gulfport YC on the weekend of the 27th to meet the CFYC trailer boat club that's coming down for a couple days. If it works out you'd be welcome to come and try to meet us and we can go over a few questions about the boat. If time/weather permits maybe take a spin around the bay. Drop me a line at soling****45**at***usa.com(w/o the *'s) or PM me to swap cell#s There's a pretty good deal on a 260 w/wheel steering and a trailer in GA listed here in the classifieds. http://www.sailboatowners.com/classified/ownerview.tpl?owno=114856494114334&fno=0&brsku=114856494114334.2&bd=Hunter&p1=0&p2=1000000&xs=All&l1=26&l2=26&active=T&sb=placed&dr=de&ad=all Good luck. Michael

A

Alan Russell

I'll try

I'll try. I think with a mast rasing system and babystays, I can do it on my own. Right now with the potter I do it alone alot, and my mast rasing system is me grabbing the headstay and yanking it up.

A

Alan Russell

That is a good question.

That is a good question. I didn't think their was a difference between the 26 and the 260. I'd love to see a list of the running changes in the 26 - 260 from 1993 to 2004.

G

George

H26 vs H260

Found at: http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/pviewall.tpl?fno=5&uid=73199320964&SKU=2006338112834.60 H26 vs H260 There is extensive dialog on this subject in the archives. Check it out. Here's some extracts: H26/H260 series evolved over time. Some changes were stylistic others like the rudder were functional. Overtime, Hunter made changes to the boat based on users desires and complaints. Both boats sail about the same and have similar displacement. The H260 may weigh more on the trailer. - H26 had mini-stays rather than the solid mast supports in the H260 - Forward vent window in H26 eliminated in H260. - Sliding hatch in H26 leaks - H260 pretty dry - Very early H26 models were mostly tiller, H260 wheel option more common - Earliest model H26 did not have stern seats as option. - Cockpit table in H26 eliminated in H260 - Jib sheet/winch layout different - H260 has a different non-slip pattern in cabin and cockpit. - H260 has vent in aft bunk. Other comments from archives: In appearance, the stern is the most noticeable difference. The 260 has a fold away swim latter and sugar scoop stern and the rub rail sweeps continuously from the side around the back. On the 26's the stern is squared off and the ladder folds up to fill in the stern railing. Some model year 26's had 7/8" rail and some had 1" rail. Wheel steering is much less common on the 26. Wheel steering, while an option, is almost always found on the 260. 1998 was the first model year with the new transom design. In the 26, the forward hatch is part of the "windshield"; in the 260 the windshield is all fixed, and a square hatch is mounted on the foredeck. The portlight for the aft berth is mounted in the vertical face of the footwell under the (starboard) cockpit seat on the 26; on the 260 a larger portlight is mounted at an angle inside a small cockpit locker. The locker must be open to make use of the portlight. The companionway is different also; the hatchboard opening is narrower on the 260 (the sliding cover is the same width on both.) A big difference between a 26 and 260 is the rig. The 26 uses a full batten main, and the mast does not have fixed support struts like the 260 does. Also the H260 has a extra diagional shroud that makes it a true B & R rig. The anchor locker and bow cleat configuration is much improved on the 260 as it allows for the installation of an optional anchor roller. The major difference in the interior is that the galley fiddles and trim on a H26 is smoked Plexiglas, in the 260 it is teak. There is a cabinet in the galley and a single burner butane stove in the 260, the 26 uses a drop in two burner Origo 4000 alcohol stove. The head door is teak on the 260, white fiberglass on the 26. The 260 cabin sole in the head is raised to allow for a marine head option. The 26 uses collapsible bottles for water, the 260 has a water tank under the v-berth. The rudder assembly and transom is completely different between the two boats as the 260 was designed for wheel steering and most 26's have a tiller. early 26's did not come with stern perch seats, and they became an option. It is possible to back fit these but its' not cheap. That said, the boats should sail the same. The differences are a matter of preference. The biggest impact will be cost. A 2002 260 will cost about $10K more than a 5 year old 26. The older boat may have some wear and tear, but is likely to have more owner installed gear like a compass, GPS, Autopilot, etc. These items would add to the price of the new boat. The boat(H260) has a real forward hatch on the bow deck vs the 26 which has the hatch mounted on the windscreen. Secondly, it has two operating seat compartments where the 26 has only one. The second compartment allows you a view and air circulation when you are using the transom bunk. Here's some numbers: H26 Years Built----1995 LOA------------25' 9 in LWL------------23' 1 in Sail Area------290 sq ft Mast Height----40' 4 in Water Capacity-5 gal I--28' 4 in J--09' 5 in P--30' 1 in E--10' 6 in H260 Years Built-----1998-2005 LOA-------------26' 3 in LWL-------------23' 3 in Sail Area-------320 sq ft Mast Height-----40' Water Capacity--20 gal I--29' 2.5in J--09' 5.5in P--30' 6.5in E--10' 6in

D

Deucer

260 Opinion

Alan, We bought a '98 260 in Nov. We looked at a lot of trailerable sailboats and liked the 260 the best for it's room and large cockpit. We've got a couple years sailing experience (most of it out of Santa Barbara, CA in other's boats). 1. Mast raising system has to be about the best around. Easy and reliable. 2. Boat has a lot of windage. Can make docking a challenge in a cross wind. 3. We don't feel near as comfortable in higher winds and seas than we did in a more "blue water" boat. But then again, it is, by design, a protected water boat. 4. More than 25 degrees heel in gusty winds will keep you on your toes 5. Wheel vs. Tiller. We thought we'd really want a wheel, but with an extension, we're finding we like the tiller just as much or better. You can work the helm from the stern rail seats. Makes for a great view and easier to see while seated. Easier to put a autopilot on a wheel. 6. Roller furling. We thought this was a must; however, we found that it complicates mast raising and since a 100% jib is about as big a headsail as you'll find, it's nice for furling, but not an absolute necessity (unless you single hand the boat). 7. Two people can easily launch the boat. One person probaly can, if the dock is long enough. Biggest issue angle of the ramp and depth of water. We have to extend the trailer tongue about have the time. 8. If water is deep enough at the dock, we put the rudder down and use it to maneuver (with motor straight ahead). A connection between motor and rudder seems like a good idea. 9. Not sure if anybody else has this problem, but our bilge pump (below the aft bearth) sits on a small rise. Leaves about 1/2 gal of water in the bilge that splashes out of access hatches on a large heel. 10. We tow with a '01 F-150 4x4 4.6l v8. Just enough. Really makes the truck suck gas limiting our desire to go a long ways with the boat. Overall, we like to boat a lot so far. Water ballast, trailerable sailboats are a compromise at best. The 260 is about the best balance on those compromises. From what I've read on this message board, you just have to resist trying to make it a "bigger" boat than it acutally is by adding a gazillion gadgets and the associated weight. Hope this helps. Deucer

A

Alan Russell

Thanks for the data on 26 vs 260's

I really like the sugar scoop transom, but I'm going to check out a 96 to see if I really need it.

A

Alan Russell

How is the keel lowered/raised?

And is that the same on the 26/260? I assume their is a winch somewhere to raise/lower the keel.

A

Alan Russell

Its got to be eaiser than our Potter

Even with the 26, you only have to climb up to the level of the cockpit floor. The potter has a normal (closed) transom, so you have to climb another 18" or so to the top of the transom, before you can drop down into the cockpit. And we have precious few handholds (usually use the tillerpilot mount (custom made by me) or the mainsheet travler.

A

Alan Russell

Do the stansions have backing plates? Core?

On the 26 and 260, are their backing plates behind the stancions? Can they be accessed for rebedding? Is the deck cored with Balsa, foam, or what? Thanks! PS. I looked at a 96 26 today. I like it alot.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Tips on reefing

If you are single handed or short handed, the easiest way to reef is to heave to and do it. Many skippers forget about heaving to and just how peaceful it can be even in a good blow.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Stanchion Backing Plates

Alan, aluminum backing plates are embedded in the fiberglass under the stanchions and rails. Don't count mounting holes of replacement stanchions and rails to necessarily line up with the origional holes in the embedded backing plates. New holes may have to be drilled and tapped. When I installed new stanchions, all I drill through was fiberglass and aluminum. BrianW

G

George

Opintions on the H260

Alan, I suggest you look at the reviews for the H260 in this forum. You'll find the good and the not so good about the boat there. Check out the knowledgebase for the H260 for mods that people have made to the H260. http://kb.sailboatowners.com/brand?model=20 You'll also find a wealth of info about the boat at this link: http://kobernus.com/hunter260/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.