Oil pressure "Y"

Jan 8, 2017
Catalina 310 San Francisco
Hello All,
I would like to add a "Y" to the block of my M25xpb where my oil pressure sending unit sits so I can have the sending unit and an oil pressure gauge side by side. I've got my sending unit but am hoping to find a part for the "Y" itself and the gauge. I'm aware this can be wired to my instrument panel, but I don't want it there.
Thank you!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They make dual sender/switch oil pressure sensors. I have one on my C36. A "Y" or a tee would put the sensor too far from the engine and I worry the extended lever arm would cause the small pipe to break. IIRC it switched at 7psi and shad 0-150 psi analogue vdo output.

Les

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Been there done that and don't do it.
I did add a Y to my Yanmar a few years back and maybe year after adding the Y one motoring back in Orient Point up in NY the Y did break and lucky for me the oil gauge was at the helm and saw it go to O and went below to find oil all over and lucky me did not ruin the engine.
Nick

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The engine on your C310 already has a Y in place. See the photo I have attached. There is a T just above the switch that has a 45 degree elbow attached. The end of the elbow has a plug. Screw out the plug, screw in the sender.

Personally I would not use a combined switch and sender. When I had my switch go, I was able to confidently ignore the buzzing and get into safe harbor because my sender gave me a good oil pressure reading.
IMG_20170620_110553.jpg

May 20, 2016
Personally I would not use a combined switch and sender.
View attachment 137818
The switch failing will not kill the analogue sensor or vise-versa - the only thing they share is the ground connection and access to the oil for pressure readings. Plus I have the original switch in my spares box - along with another switch/analogue sensor in there as well...

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The switch failing will not kill the analogue sensor or vise-versa - the only thing they share is the ground connection and access to the oil for pressure readings. Plus I have the original switch in my spares box - along with another switch/analogue sensor in there as well...
As long as it's not the negative connector that fails. Which is what failed on my boat.

May 20, 2016
No such thing on the sensors I've used. They ground thru the physical pipe connection to the engine block.

Les

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
No such thing on the sensors I've used. They ground thru the physical pipe connection to the engine block.

Les
Les, have you got part# or info on the dual sensor you used? From the engine manual it looks like the thread is 1/8" NPT.

Nov 16, 2012
Question for anyone with a C310 (or other boat with a similar engine control panel) who installed an oil pressure gauge: Where did you mount the gauge? There doesn't seem to be enough room in the engine control panel to put another 2" gauge. Did you get rid of the voltmeter? I was hoping to find a combo gauge, but they are all larger than 2".

May 20, 2016
I did not install a physical gauge but rather have an RS11 that puts it on N2K so it displays on my I70 or MFD. I will probably replace my disconnected ampmeter wit a pressure gauge when I rebuild the board this winter.

Les
Universal m25

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Question for anyone with a C310 (or other boat with a similar engine control panel) who installed an oil pressure gauge: Where did you mount the gauge? There doesn't seem to be enough room in the engine control panel to put another 2" gauge. Did you get rid of the voltmeter? I was hoping to find a combo gauge, but they are all larger than 2".
I put the gauge at the nav station. If the alarm goes off I can go below and check the gauge. I also go below to check the battery monitor to see how that is doing as well.

Nov 16, 2012
I put the gauge at the nav station. If the alarm goes off I can go below and check the gauge. I also go below to check the battery monitor to see how that is doing as well.
That's a good idea, but I've got so much stuff there already it may be a tight fit. Already no room for my tank monitor!

Nov 16, 2012
That's a good idea, but I've got so much stuff there already it may be a tight fit. Already no room for my tank monitor!
I'm thinking now that I might replace the volt meter in the console with the pressure gauge. I've got two battery monitors with voltage at the nav station, and voltage seems less important to me when motoring. It does mean running the wire will be a little harder, I guess. Bought a Sierra sensor and gauge. Installed the sensor. Other than a little oil leaking it was real easy.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have found oil gauge is really not that important,I change my oil more than really needed but oil so cheap and check the dip stick often before every start up and make sure the idiot warning light is working and look under the engine for any kind of leak.
I find that a temperature gauge is more important and found that when motoring how important it it is if and when something clogs the strainer or maybe there is a problem with a leak can over heat and cause big problems and been boating many years and it is cooling related problems happen more and so I do a temp gauge at the helm and if I see that gauge is showing higher than normal than I know to check things out but that's just me and so far been working real good.
Nick