Oil Pressure Buzzer

Jul 30, 2014
catalina 30 mkII Tall Rig bay city
When I turn my ignition key on my oil pressure buzzer stopped working. Is there a fuse for that?
I'm worried if I have a problem there will be no warning indicator.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The fuse would affect other panel bits.
More likely a connection issue. Pull the panel and inspect, including the quick-disconnect harness interior. Also check connection at sender on engine.
Could also be the buzzer, but less likely. Troubleshooting connections with a multimeter will reveal if it is.

Jul 30, 2014
Thanks so much for the insight. It's greatly appreciated!!!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I gather you mean the buzzer is not working anymore when you turn the key switch On. You have an open circuit somewhere, it could be a fouled sensor, a broken wire, a fouled/dirty connection or a fouled buzzer. Not familiar with your Catalina but usually you have a warning lamp in addition to the buzzer. If when you turn the key On, the warning lamp comes on then it can help narrow down where the fault is. Turn the engine On and if the warning lamp turns Off then the sensor its good and doing its job. If the lamp does not turn On then the fault could be at the sensor or the wiring harness from engine to cockpit. (the wiring harness in older boats is subjected to many years of hull flexing and since they are usually routed through bends around fiberglass edges they tend to chaff the insulation and get cut.) To test the harness short the wire going to the sensor to ground and the warning lamp and or buzzer should turn On. If it does not a visual inspection of the harness especially around bends should show where insulation may have been chaffed. If the lamp turns On but still not the buzzer remove the buzzer and bench test with a 12V source. If the buzzer fails replace but if it works you have narrowed the fault to the buzzer connections. Good luck.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
I also have the Mark II model (1988) and my buzzer went out as well. Replacements are abundant, but I check my oil levels, have low engine hours (520) and am not going to worry about it! These have been known to fail so you are not alone. Pull the panel out and you will see the wiring to the buzzer. No fuse protection at the panel. The failure is most likely from the buzzer and not coming from the engine side of the electrical harness.

Jul 30, 2014
Thanks guys! You have been very helpful. I too check my oil levels every time I go out just to be sure.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steve the buzzer on my Cal has a wire running from the key to a horn like you would find in a car. When the key is turned it closes the circuit and the horn/buzzer sounds. As the oil pressure increases in the engine the sending unit opens stopping the noise. So look first to the back of the key/switch. Trace the wires checking each of the connections. You may need to replace one as corrosion or wear has taken its toll on your system.