Oil alarm and overheating

Feb 18, 2015
Ranger 28 clipper cove san francisco
hi, we have chartered a jeanneau 34 a newer model and we're stuck just 1 day into our sail up the delta! After motoring for hours at 2-3k rpms the oil overheat alarm and red indicator came on. We stopped the engine and sailed our way into the nearest harbor. Other than the obvious checking oil and fluid levels anything else we should attempt to get going? It's a newer Diesel engine, I'll look up the specs and repost. Is this a common problem? Thank you!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'm guessing from brochures it might be a Yanmar 3YM20 engine? I don't think that would have an actual oil overheat alarm; more likely it has an oil pressure alarm and a water overheat alarm. If the problem is overheating than the usual thing to check would be whether the engine is pumping water out the exhaust. If not than check that the seacock is open and that the sea water strainer is clear. If the alarm is for oil pressure than check the dipstick to make sure it has oil. I don't know what else could cause low oil pressure.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
David's advice is good.

Have you contacted the charter company?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I have the 3YM20 engine in Fraulein II. The oil idiot light is a low oil pressure alarm. The other is the overheat alarm. Check the fluids but DO contact the charter company. I'm in the charter business and charter companies do not like charterers tinkering around. That is why they usually don't put tools on the boats...people will use them.:yikes: Keep the boat in a safe place and let them figure it out. Reduce your liability.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have the 3YM20 engine in Fraulein II. The oil idiot light is a low oil pressure alarm. The other is the overheat alarm. Check the fluids but DO contact the charter company. I'm in the charter business and charter companies do not like charterers tinkering around. That is why they usually don't put tools on the boats...people will use them.:yikes: Keep the boat in a safe place and let them figure it out. Reduce your liability.
Roland is right.... make the call, open a beer and leave it to them

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
#1 reason to charter a sailboat not own one! "The engine quit, we'll be at the dock bar, call when it is ready!":D