Off season projects 2016/2017

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Re: Off season projects

Still to do weather permitting with a late April launch targeted....

Install bow sprit and bobstay u-bolt (SCARY....). And when the boat is in the water install profurl spinex 0.9 top down spinnaker furler..... wondering how thick the hull is. Like to avoid having to stiffen from the inside with extra glass work....

Replace the jib furler halyard. Clean mast and boom.

Clean topside and cabin and another scrub of the hull with a final wax.

Finish some gel coat repair jobs topside....

Sew protective covers for trailer bunks when boat is back in the water.

Attach torsion rope to my Generator (code 0) sail to be able to attach to bow sprit furler instead of spinnaker.

Maybe's:

Re-bed some hardware?

Replace depth sounder? Not a thru hull so I can do this at the dock.....

Install solar vent?

Install lazy jack? Not sure if I even want to use at this point.....Maybe next year....

Install USB/12v charger outlet(s)?

Install solar panel?

Install compass? More hole cutting.....

Next winter/spring:

Install vhf antenna and install marine radio with AIS?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Well based on the weather forecast for 10543 it looks like tomorrow might be the day to drill some holes in the boat... around 55-60 and dry.... Wish me luck......

Feb 16, 2017

Okay Guys,

I have finally been able to see my new (to me) Capri today.
All I can say is what did I do!....lol

It is a POS! But hey what can you expect when just pay for the motor....
So I am at a bar right staying in Old Saybrook, Connecticut on the way back home thought I might show a picture. I am picking up the rig from a Catalina 22 Sunday morning and putting it on top of my truck and getting home before NASCAR starts.
I will be starting a new thread cataloging the project from start to finish the goal is two years but sailing in two months.

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Good luck. Friends of ours have a cottage in Old Saybrook and I might sail up there during the summer.....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Ok here it goes. Drilling holes in a boat... Argh!

Point of entry is 11.5 inch measured from the stem fitting and 1.5" down from rubrail.

The angle to the new to be installed bobstay u-bolt is around 25 deg....

Feeling pretty good so far.....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Using west system six ten epoxy to glue the tube in.

Very happy with the progress this weekend. Even managed to spread fertilizer on my lawn and lawn seeds..... Spring is comin' for sure....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Gel coat repair (lots of sanding today.....).

Also installed the bowsprit with rigging. Happy.....

For the bobstay bow eye installed a metal plate on the inside to spread the load....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Cleaned the inside todày. Added some reinforcements to the inside of the hull for the bow sprit hinge tube as well as added another six 10 epoxy bead on the outside around the G10 hinge tube. Some more gel coat work. Tomorrow is refitting the boat for launch....

Also applied wood penetrating epoxy to wood inside the cabin...

Tomorrow I will apply some gelcoat to the outside of the hinge tube.... and finishngel coat repair.

Also finished replacing all line/halyard on mast (Cdi furler halyard) today and polished waxed mast today.

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Applied a first coat of gelcoat to the outside of the hinge tube. Not sure if this was smart as there might be some deflection going on despite the titanium rod on the inside and there might be some stress cracks down the road....?

Second layer today.

Yesterday put the gear back in the boat. Felt good. Hope to bring the boat to yard this Saturday for bottom painting..... Launch hopefully by end of April....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Boat is going to the yard Saturday morning.

Finished gelcoat on hinge tubes. Mast is back up on the boat. All packed ready to go...

Took down wooden platform as well.

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017

So I did a rough calculation on the potential spinnaker size. If I am correct you will have almost 650 sf of area. and for maybe 12 sec penalty you will go a lot more than 1/4 knot.
That is exactly what I am doing to my boat. I am thinking the boat speed will be close to 65-70% of wind speed until 8 knot of true wind speed at 140 degrees true wind angle, with a max runner asymmetric kite. Even if I am close and get 60-65% you will not loose downwind.
the only thing different I am doing is also using a 10.75' carbon spin pole to run deeper in more breeze.

Let me ask you how far down is the spin halyard restrainer from the top of the mast.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

odj22sailor said:
Let me ask you how far down is the spin halyard restrainer from the top of the mast.
The midpoint of the spinnaker halyard sheave is 14.5" down from the mast top and the midpoint of the restrainer is 16.5" from the mast top.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Dropped off the trailer with boat this morning. Hopefully ready by next Saturday.... I can smell the water.....

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Boat was launched today. Will move to docking slip on Saturday.

Picked up the trailer today and started on my sewing project to make covers for the bunk beds.

First one done. Sewing not real pretty but it works......

Attachments