Off season projects 2016/2017

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Re: Off season projects

These are the existing spur grommets. Thicker with a black washer on both sides....

No 4 on the luff and no 5 size on the leech.

Gotta look for those.....

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017

Slartibartfass said:
These are the existing spur grommets. Thicker with a black washer on both sides....

No 4 on the luff and no 5 size on the leech.

Gotta look for those.....
The existing rings are Inox they appear to be about 15-20mm maybe 25's. They are available at Bainbridge Sailcloth.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

odj22sailor said:
The existing rings are Inox they appear to be about 15-20mm maybe 25's. They are available at Bainbridge Sailcloth.
YES! Thx for the hint.....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Slartibartfass said:
odj22sailor said:
YES! Thx for the hint.....
Do you know who retails them in the US?

Feb 16, 2017

Most any sailmaker will have them, the issue you will have is getting the dies for the press and having a press that strong enough. If you recall a previous post I wrote I had suggested that you use webbing and a 2" ring. This will avoid issues and make a strong and simple install.

Dave

download/file.php?id=796&mode=view

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

The ring idea looks better and better cost-wise..... question is still for me if a spur grommet wouldn't be sufficient based on the relative small size of the sail.... for a 30+ footer different story obviously.....

Feb 16, 2017

Slartibartfass said:
The ring idea looks better and better cost-wise..... question is still for me if a spur grommet wouldn't be sufficient based on the relative small size of the sail.... for a 30+ footer different story obviously.....
We would use a number 4 groumet for 40'+ boats for our size we would use #2-3 groumets. On a side note the webbing shoul be min. 6'' in length. and I would hand sew the webbing where the stitching starts.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

So yèsterday I finished my inside repair of the bow compartment ceiling, respectively installed a G10 backer plate for the fairlead that was originally screwed in thru the topside into the sandwich core that had partially rotted away around the screw holes. Still need to take a picture....

Also replaced blue vinyl striping on the port side and top one on the starboard side..

Got my AS-40 Trogear bowsprit replacement yesterday and did a testfit. Should give me ~32" clearance to the bow..... the hinge is roughly offset to the outside by 1" to enable the sprit to move freely up past the rubrail to park position.

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017

Slartibartfass said:
So yèsterday I finished my inside repair of the bow compartment ceiling, respectively installed a G10 backer plate for the fairlead that was originally screwed in thru the topside into the sandwich core that had partially rotted away around the screw holes. Still need to take a picture....

Also replaced blue vinyl striping on the port side and top one on the starboard side..

Got my AS-40 Trogear bowsprit replacement yesterday and did a testfit. Should give me ~32" clearance to the bow..... the hinge is roughly offset to the outside by 1" to enable the sprit to move freely up past the rubrail to park position.

Question: You said 32'' clearance to the bow. I would like to know the what your angle is to the Bow eye that you are going to attach to?
I am getting ready to do the same thing but using a different manufacture of bow sprit. I am only going out too 24''. I have learned over years of rigging boats that anything inside of 10 degrees will be to narrow of an angle to hold the load of a spinnaker on a good puff or windy day. With that being said, I will not be using a purchase to hold it down, I am going to make eye to eye (splice) directly to the boat and sprit. I may rethink what I am doing if it's close to 10 degrees.

P.S. It's looks really fricking cool!!!!!

Dave

Mar 11, 2014

Mine extends the J by 36 inches. I wish I had added a foot more. But now the Bob stay that connects the bottom front of the sprint to the Bow eye is at about a 30% angle when the sprint is extended... so If I had used the last 12 inched of the sheldon sprint I would have had to add a lower bow eye. The Rigger thought the bob stay was over kill... but it makes me feel better.

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

odj22sailor said:
Question: You said 32'' clearance to the bow. I would like to know the what your angle is to the Bow eye that you are going to attach to?
I am getting ready to do the same thing but using a different manufacture of bow sprit. I am only going out too 24''. I have learned over years of rigging boats that anything inside of 10 degrees will be to narrow of an angle to hold the load of a spinnaker on a good puff or windy day. With that being said, I will not be using a purchase to hold it down, I am going to make eye to eye (splice) directly to the boat and sprit. I may rethink what I am doing if it's close to 10 degrees.

P.S. It's looks really fricking cool!!!!!

Dave
Dave, I will install a second u-bolt closer to the waterline where the blue tape is..... still deciding on the size... might go with a 14/10 instead of the 20/14....

Please note that 24" is not enough based on my mock ups to clear the bow pulpit (if you install a furler...). Better check that!

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017

Okay, I am starting to get bow prod envy....lol. I have a limit as to what I can do.
1. I will be racing in phrf.
2. I need to stay around in the 190's in phrf.
3. I am going from std. rig to tall rig.
4. Changing I from I=25.0 to I=29.0 ISP from 25.0 to ISP=31.2 and using using 180% girth measurements so the mid girth is 18'.9 and the luff 34'.5 in total makes spin area around 600sf
5. Boat can't handle anything bigger using a Code 0
I am setting up for a double head rig for breeze on reaching.
I am thinking my loads will be double yours.I don't think in need to go to 34" if it hits the bow pulpit I'll pull it and modify it.
For instance I am changing my winches to Barient 22's 2 speeds just so I can sheet and get the tack tight enough.

Just having fun

Mar 11, 2014

After doing what I've done to my boat (Sprint, Asym etc) I submitted the spec to Lake Norman keel Boat council to get a PHRF rating and they came back with 207... Thought you'd want to know from a compare perspective

Feb 16, 2017

drewlamparello said:
After doing what I've done to my boat (Sprint, Asym etc) I submitted the spec to Lake Norman keel Boat council to get a PHRF rating and they came back with 207... Thought you'd want to know from a compare perspective

Did you change the Rig height or the spin luff as I am doing? I am sure if you review the data I provided that the out come will be much different.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Finished the second reefing on my main sail today.

#5 spur grommets on both leech and luff:

I did set the grommets some more after the picture was taken so the gap is mostly almost closed... again 5 layers of 5 oz Dacron in this area.....

Added additional straps for strength:

If this reef rips time for a new main sail......

Attachments

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org

I need warmer weather.

Replace gudgeons ( I have the new and improved ones waiting for installation.)

Re-install spinnaker halyard which I accidentally pulled through last summer. I have a fish tape already through mast.

Now -- here is a good question -- one really can not know if the halyards are not criss-crossed a few times going down the mast.

Clean and buff up the hull -- purchasing an electric buffer soon.

After I launch the boat I plan on modifying the trailer with 4 adjustable pads.
The two front and the two rear. The middle will stay fixed.
I already have 4 jackstands which will supply the screw/pad assembly.
Will just be a matter of cutting down the present stands and welding on the right size pipes.

Work on cleaning the bottom as I will be using VC-17 this season.

Hershey