Off season projects 2016/2017

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
So far I got the following done:

Enlarged inspection port hole inside the cabin towards the bow.

Started but not finished to remove some old small water damage in that area in the deck from the underside. Will repair with a fiberglass sheet epoxied in from the inside when it gets warmer again.

Replaced all light bulbs with LED's

Refinished the tiller assembly (2 coats of wood penetrating epoxy and 10 coats of varnish with sanding in between).

Re-stitched Genoa (clew area) as some of the seams where starting to open up due to UV damage as the PO never put a cover on....

To do:

Finish repair job above

Clean, small gel coat repair and polish rudder.

Polish hull

Re-bed most of the hardware

Thinking about changing rope halyards

Changing all sheets

Clean boat outside and inside.

Sew protective covers for trailer bunks when boat is back in the water

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Re: Off season projects

If you happen to find some Festoon LEDs that are plug in replaceable for the interior light bulbs, please let us know your supplier.

The only ones I found were the opposite "Sex" from what are in the Capri's.

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Continued with the rudder blade. Cleaned and wet sanded with 800 grit some areas. Fixing some dings and scratches. Still need to polish and wax...

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Finished the tiller today. Gel coat cracks fixed. Polished and reassembled:

Before sanding the gel coat:

Before polishing:

Polished with a nice sheen:

Complete rudder:

Also started cleaning the hull. One side plus transom so far. Blue tape mark scratches in the gel coat:

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Worked on the mast today replacing all halyards and the furling line. I'm now color coordinated which will make sailing easier (main sail lines are blue, jib is green and spinnaker is red). Waiting for the furler replacement halyard (CDi). Also lubed the sail channel and sheaves.

Plan is to add a second reefing point to the mainsail myself. Waiting for Dacron 5.4oz from Sailrite...

Also fixed a royal messed up gel coat repair. I tried to spray a thin layer following instructions and the mix was too thick sputtering blobs... stupid me did not remove the mess so a lot of sanding starting with 400 grit to 600 to 800 all the way up to 2000 grit. Still needs buffing...

The HORROR!

Looks like acne.....

Happy about the result.... this could have been baaaad!

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Also thinking very hard about getting the Trogear AS-30 bowsprit with side mounts (necessary due to the rubrail) and a Spinex 0.9 top-down spinnaker furler. Decisions, decisions.......

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org

1) You are making me very tired with all the work you do on your boat.
2) What does the "Admiral" think about all the time you are spending on your new toy?

Hershey

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Well I am in between jobs and my wife got a part-time job to get out of the house.... plenty of time for myself.....

And
No pressure......

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Polished and waxed hull today. Still got some polishing to do on the blue stripe above the waterline with respect to some scratch repairs...

Started to take of the beat up blue stripes below the rubrail. One done...

And I ordered the bowsprit/spinex furler for the asym.... hope it works out....

Mar 11, 2014

A few thoughts to offer as I have gone through the installation of a sprint for use on a furling zero and a asym.

When you go to install that sprint - You need to have the boat out of the water and pull a line from the mast to the forestay to a fixed point 5-8 feet from the boat (I tied off to my truck that I parked in front of the boat). That way you can ensure the max extend point on the sprint is centered on the boat. when the sprint is pushed in it will be pulled off to one side... I had to take 10 inches off what I received to have it work on the bow. also, I needed to raise it up about 1/2 inch so it would line up properly and not hit the steam head fitting and allow you to still uses the cleat when you have it pulled in... I used 2 pieces of 1/8 star board to act as a filler under the sprint's ring... lastly I fixed a piece of coated line to the under side of the sprint and attached a quick release to the lower end. This piece is measured so that it attaches to the trailer hitch and creates a bob stay for the sprint... you'd be surprised the upward pull on the sprint when you are on a reach with the sprint so this insures it won't come undone...

I think it was a great addition to the boat. Enjoy

Attachments

Mar 11, 2014

Impressive. Looks like that one will cost about twice what the seldon is priced at.

How far off the bow will it be. Mine adds 3 feet to the boats J measurement

Good luck on a smooth install

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

drewlamparello said:
Impressive. Looks like that one will cost about twice what the seldon is priced at.

How far off the bow will it be. Mine adds 3 feet to the boats J measurement

Good luck on a smooth install
Around 26" based on my mock up (AS-30) so the spinex furler attached to the spinnaker halyard should clear the bow pulpit. In worse case I will step up to the AS-40.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

Hershey said:
Slartibartfass

In reference to your post Wed Mar 08, 2017, one needs two checks coming in now-a-days.

I suggest you find the wife a second job :)

Hershey
Great idea!

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015

So today was patterning/template time for the second reefing points I want to sew into my main sail.

Rough outline copied from sail:

Individual pieces are all 8.5" wide.

Finished pattern:

Attachments