Oday Rally (rOnDAYvous) July 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2006
Oday 322 Bridgeport
Oday Rally (rOnDAYvous) July 2014

We did an on-site evaluation yesterday in New London. We are hearing a strong vibration that the upcoming SAILFEST is expected to draw a record number of people and boats. It is, therefore, recommended that those of us who can make the commitment for a “parking spot” consider doing so very soon. There are a number of options for parking your boat, but here are some locations to consider:

I. WHERE TO “PARK”:

1. BURR’S Marina. http://www.burrsmarina.com/
A. They are located about 1.5 miles from the center of New London, but from the Marina to Town Center can easily be reached by walking or taking your dinghy.
B. Their slip rate is $5 per foot for two nights, or $3 per foot for one night.
C. They have a pool and area for us to gather for Friday night POT LUCK (where everyone brings a finger food (do fingers each much?)
D. There is a nice restaurant on the premises – “ON THE WATERFRONT” -- that has a nice room for our Saturday dinner – an extensive buffet for $42 per person (incudes tax and tip). Open cash bar. Kids menu is available.
E. They can accommodate all of our boats (we estimate between 15-20...maybe more).
F. There is a small deli restaurant about 2 blocks up a hill.
G. There is a small liquor store next door, in case you prefer a liquid lunch.

NEGATIVES:

a. The marina and building are in need of a renovation, as reflected in the slip rate. Docks seem solid and slips functional. They recommend “stern to” for easier disembarking.
b. The distance to the Town Center is a pleasant walk -- 1.5 miles, unless there are physical limitations (need new knee, new hip, etc.)
c. The dinghy ride of 1.5 miles is very easy – no hills to worry about.
2. CROCKER’S BOAT YARD: http://www.crockersboatyardinc.com/ (See registration form attached).
A. They are located 1/2 mile from center of New London.

B. Their slip rate is $380 for two nights (Friday and Saturday). We have negotiated a special rate for over 20 boats.

- 20’-29’ = $272 for two nights }
- 30’-36’ = $323 for two nights } Only if we get 20 or more boats....otherwise its $380 for 2 nights.

C. They have a pool and area for us to gather for Friday night POT LUCK.
D. We could still use the restaurant at Burr’s for Saturday Dinner, about a one mile walk from Crockers.
E. They can accommodate all our boats.
F. The facility is nicer as reflected in the slip rate.

NEGATIVES:

a. Rate is somewhat PRICY.

3. THAMES PORT MARINA: http://www.thamesportmarina.com/

A. They are located next to Burr’s and the restaurant for Saturday dinner.

B. Their rate is $2.50 per foot per night.
C. They have a large deck we can use for our Friday PotLuck.
D. Facility is a bit better looking than Burr’s.

NEGATIVES:

a. They are 1.5 miles from Town Center.

4. TOWN CENTER MOORING BALLS: <newlondonmoorings.com>

A. The rate is $180 for three days (Thurs, Fri, Sat nights). Registration form is attached above.
B. The moorings are serviced by a launch.
C. The current number of moorings available are 10 (out of 40). Form above must be mailed in with check to lock in mooring reservation.

NEGATIVES:

a. Limited number available.
b. Moored boat may be affected by ferry traffic waves.
c. Because of proximity to the town center, loud music continues until about midnight.
d. Due to volume of moored boats, hailing a launch may take some time.
e. It is a 1.5 mile distance to Friday POT LUCK and Saturday Dinner.

All these facilities are positioned to easily view the Saturday Night Fireworks from our boats.

II. WHERE TO MEET & EAT?:

A. There is an area near the pool at Burr’s for us to gather for Friday night POT LUCK (where everyone brings a finger food (do fingers each much?)
B. There is a nice restaurant on the premises – “ON THE WATERFRONT” -- that has a separate room for our Saturday dinner – an extensive buffet for $42 per person (incudes tax and tip). Kids menu is available.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

A. While we are leaving the decision to each member as to where they want to “park” and how much to spend, based on what we saw and heard we would hope most members can be together. Both Burr’s and Thames are next to each other and we can use the dock at Thames to have Friday Pot Luck or the pool area at Burr’s.
B. The restaurant attached to Burrs for Saturday dinner seems ideal with a side room to accommodate 40 people. If we get more Mates, we will search for an alternative site. http://www.onthewaterfrontnl.com/
C. It is a 1.5 mile walk / dinghy ride to the Town Center but lots of shops and sights to see along the way.
D. The Ft. Trumbull historic national park is along the way and is a free walking tour. There will be at least one tall ship docked at the park also....usually a 19th century sailboat.

Here is a brochure that describes the activities in New London during SailFest. http://www.newlondonmainstreet.org/images/pdf/new_london_mapandguide201112.pdf

If coming by auto, you can find many hotel options on: <<hotels.com>> <<travelocity.com>> <priceline.com> <booking.com/B&Bs-Connecticut> .

There is AMTRAK and Shoreline train service that stops close to Town docks.....short walk to Holiday Inn.

Ferry Service from Long Island convenient to town docks.

We will continue to pass along more ideas as we get closer.

Mike & Anne Novitsky
Wilton, CT
AMAZING GRACE II
O-322

Mike & Anne
AMAZING GRACE II
O-322
mikenovit@optonline.net

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
I'll have to see if I can hitch a ride in a TARDIS and get back in time, sounds like it was fun.

Jul 19, 2007
Oday Javelin Guilford,CT
Re: Oday Rally (rOnDAYvous) July 2014

Hey Mike Im going to work on dad to get the AppleO'Day there I have missed far to many rOnDAYvous.

Dec 24, 2010
Oday 22 Erie Basin Marina Buffalo, NY
Re: Oday Rally (rOnDAYvous) July 2014

Santa Pete & the Mrs. will be there. If you can find out about accommodations for those of us coming by land, please post - motels, hotels, B & Bs and campgrounds

Oct 26, 2006
Oday 322 Bridgeport
Pete

Hopefully you got my email from yesterday showing more details. You can drive over from Red Roof and join us for FRIDAY POT LUCK and SAT. DINNER Next to Burr's.

Mike & Anne
AMAZING GRACE II
O-322

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I'm booked at Burrs, as are Dan and Bobby.. Seem like nice folks, good price, good gathering places, and being a bit away from the maddening crowds may be considered an asset....

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
Having a fair knowledge of New London, I think docking and gathering at Burr's and Thames docks would be best as it will be a noisy, crowd filled weekend downtown. Much better to be slightly removed.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Looks like all who I know that are making reservations, are moving to Crockers (Peter, Dan, Bobby D. as far as I know so far).
I called Crocker's (800.870.1285/860.443.6304) and they emailed me a reservation form which I just mailed back with my check. Lots of postings on Facebook "O'Day Owners" group and pictures of both places thanks to Rich B. As soon as I have a confirmed slip at Crocker's I'm cancelling the one at Burrs. Pricier than Burrs ($320 for Friday-Sunday) but has floating docks, clean heads and showers, and front row seat to the Sat. nite fireworks. (www.crockersboatyardinc.com)

Dec 24, 2010
Sounds good Mike. I have a Logo put together for the 2014 rOnDAYvous. And I'm able to offer white cotton polo shirts with the logo imprinted on them for approximately $10 per shirt.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2010
If you would like to order a shirt sizes are S to XXL for Men and Ladies and XS to XL for kids. The children's Polos do not have pockets, and they will be provided by Santa, Please email your children's sizes to me. Adult Pocket Polos are $10 per shirt. The Men's, Ladies & Children's shirts are white. The Logo shown here is tentative until approved by Mike & Anne N. You can email me at pschmid@roadrunner.com. Please place your orders and provide sizes prior to May 1st.

4/2/12 Please note changes to color of Ladies shirts.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2010
Anyone concerned with their dock lines at a fixed dock, there is about a 4 ft difference in elevation from Low to High tide at New London.

Dec 24, 2010
Please include the children's names with their shirt size

Thx Santa Pete

estopa

Feb 27, 2008
Oday 222 Milford, CT
Hi Pete, put us down for 2 Adult and 2 Kids shirts.

We are staying where all the action is, Crockers. Already received confirmation from Theresa.

Dec 24, 2010
Are there any other children coming that I don't know about. Right now I have 11 children (5 won't be there, but will be getting Santa gifts). The 6 that will be there are the children of the Parillas, the DeSimones, The Paivas, and the Murphys. Please let me know if there are more kiddies coming, and their shirt sizes.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2010
We now have 13 children (7 at the rOnDAYvous). They are the children of the Breedens, the Murphys, the Parillas, The DeSimones, The Paivas and the Dawsons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.