Oday Mariner 2+2 Too Big to Tow?

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
I currently have a DS II that I tow with my Kia Forte. At around 600 pounds, the Kia tows it with no problems. There is a Mariner 2+2 for sale locally that I'm interested in because it has room for a porta-potty and more comfortable seating in the cockpit (especially for the wife). But I'm concerned that it might be too heavy to tow with my Kia at over 1,400 pounds, not including the trailer. Or course the hitch is rated for 2,000 pounds, but that doesn't mean that the car can handle it. What say you experienced trailer sailors? If it's too big of a boat for my car, then I'll stop brooding over the ad.

Here's a link for the ad: https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/d/oday-mariner-22/6756216143.html

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I think you may be pushing it a bit on your towing limit. It may do for short distances but all I see online says that your vehicle should not be used to tow. It may overheat the trans and tax the clutch a bit more than you would like. It also may be a bit hard to retrieve the boat from the water on a steep ramp as well. On the other hand if I were in your position I would contact the local dealer and ask them what it could tow. They may know better than most. Afterall your car only weighs just shy of 2900 lbs and your trying to tow something that is in the neighborhood of 2200 lbs with trailer, boat, cooler full of drinks, etc... Just my two cent worth of free advice here though.

Nov 23, 2018
Thanks for the response. This is exactly what I suspected, but I just wanted to be sure.

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
If you have the owner's manual or can get one, it will specify the towing capacity.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The turbo and V6 models have a fairly potent power plant. Tow capacities are limited because of weak suspension on some vehicles. These are the specs on the 2018 models:

• 2.4L 4-cylinder Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine
    • Standard on L and LX trim levels
    • 185-horsepower (@ 6,000 rpm)
    • 178 lb-ft. torque (@ 4,000 rpm)
    • Up to 2,000 lbs. towing capacity when properly-equipped
  • 2.0L turbocharged 4-cylinder Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine
    • Standard on EX trim level
    • 290-horsepower (@ 6,400 rpm)
    • 260 lb-ft. torque (@ 1,450 – 3,500 rpm)
    • Up to 3,500 lbs. towing capacity when properly-equipped
  • 3.3L V6 Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine
    • Standard on LX V6, EX V6, SX V6 and SX Limited V6 trim levels
    • 290-horsepower (@ 6,400 rpm)
    • 252 lb-ft. torque (@ 5,300 rpm)
    • Up to 5,000 lbs. towing capacity when properly-equipped

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is my understanding that vehicle weight is as much a limiting factor as anything else. I once ordered a Dakota quad-cab with standard transmission because I like standards and it was cheaper, but it pulled 200 lbs less than the automatic because the automatic weighed more.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 23, 2018
I have a 2015 base model with a 1.8L 4-cylinder engine. I'm thinking even 2,000 lbs is too much for it. Thanks for all the information you all provided. A bigger boat will definitely mean a bigger vehicle, which isn't something I want. I'm very happy with my 38 mpg!