O'Day Javelin Transom Repair

Apr 2, 2017
O'day Javelin Braintree, MA
Hello all,

Transom on 14' Oday is shot...totally rotted out. Wondering if anyone had any repairs done that can guide me? Wife said it has to be a home project only to have the boat lol. I got most of the rot out, and there used to be a site that had some pictures but not there is none. Everything else is in sailing shape.

Thanks for the help.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
You need some core material. You need some glass. You need some resin. You are going to want some gel coat or awl grip or something else to finish it with. It's a fair amount of messy work, but you can do it at home if you are persistent. Start googling for fiberglass repair how-to videos. There should be a lot of them out there.

Most will recommend composite core, like Coosa Board, because it never rots. This is a nice feature, but it also does not take a screw well & it crushes more easily than a hard core when you snug up a motor mount bolt real good.

Most will recommend epoxy in place of old-school polyester resin, but as long as epoxy is not already in there somewhere, you actually have your choice.

The type of glass you choose will either by a hybrid or a combination of layers of mat & roving. Some older types of hybrids don't play well with epoxy.

You are probably looking at a couple quarts of resin, several yards of glass, & at least a few weekends of your time.

That should be enough information to get you trying to answer some of the right questions for yourself.

Good Luck,
Jim

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2017
Thank you very much for the tips and getting me pointed in the right direction

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Good Old Boat magazine ran an article about a similar feat a few years ago. Also, you might not tell from my photo, but GOOD TRADE had a huge hole in its aftmost end.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
What vintage is this JAVELIN? Pre-1971 or 1971 and later?? Replacing transom core on pre-1971 is not hard since the inside is easy to see and access. You can just remove old core and glass in new core cut to proper shape. I would look into either "COOSA Board" (sp?) or one of hte other newer. non-wood choices. On the 1971 and later Javelin, fiberglass surgery is required to get the core replaced, since those boats have a molded cockpit that includes the inside layer of the transom. I thought I had saved those pictures of replacing the transom core on a pre-1971 model, but can't find them now.

Apr 2, 2017
Thanks all...it is a 65 Javelin, next project will be trying to put wood flooring in it like the original without any specs