O'Day 39 general knowledge and conversation

Opus39

Apr 30, 2015
ODay 39 Cataumet, MA
I am glad to see more information and discussion about the 39's. I have owned mine since 2004 and love it. This year I see some water marks from a section of the keel along the hull. It is only in one spot. Has anyone rebedded the keel without dropping it? If so what did you do.

Opus 39

Opus39

Apr 30, 2015
ODay 39 Cataumet, MA
Scrape out all the caulk you can with a tool like this one http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/820909/820909559948lg.jpg

Then re-caulk the seam with something like 3M 4200 or equivalent. Fair it as best you can. Is water leaking into the bilge when the boat is in the water (potential sinking scenario)? You might find your keel bolts are loose and need to be torqued to specification.
Thanks for this suggestion. I will get the tool and caulk. The 39 keel does not connect to a stump but directly at the base of the hull. The seam is around the top of the keel, against the fiberglass, I assume. I will try this and hope it holds when it goes in the water.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I agree with Jibes. Don't drop the keel unless you have a leak. Scrape and caulk.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

c_m_8

Jan 15, 2014
Jeanneau Sunshine 36/38 Montreal
Hello, been following your "o'day journey", especially as I am contemplating making an offer on one this spring. Will likely need to replace standing rigging. Did you ever get a copy of the manuals or have you any drawings to help with sizing up the rigging?
Ps: any insight on fairly pricing o'day 39 would be great. They seem to be all over the map.
Thanks

c_m_8

Jan 15, 2014
Jeanneau Sunshine 36/38 Montreal
I am glad to see more information and discussion about the 39's. I have owned mine since 2004 and love it. This year I see some water marks from a section of the keel along the hull. It is only in one spot. Has anyone rebedded the keel without dropping it? If so what did you do.

Opus 39
Hello Opus 39,
How did you make out with your keel? Did you end up having to drop the keel and rebed? Also is the keel actually held in place with bolts or nuts? Looking at an o'day 39 1983 that is for sale and am trying to make an informed decisions.
Thanks

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
The keel joint changed a few times as O'day made changes. There are shoal and full keels, lead and iron keels and different attachment points/methods. Get the hull number of the O'day 39 you are considering and we can help.

Feb 10, 2018
hunter 20 Gulfport, Ms
Just bought my 39 ODay. This is my first sailboat. Everyone I've talked to has said the 39 O Day is a great boat. Can't wait to get her in the wind. Needs a new rudder and new fore and aft chainplates first. I was looking for a manual. Can't find one anywhere. Any advice?

Feb 4, 2020
O'Day 39 Bay St Louis
On the drawings it shows shoal draft with a drop keel fin. Did this change? I haven't seen any. I have #32 any way to tell if I have the steel or lead keel?

Feb 4, 2020
O'Day 39 Bay St Louis
Hi everyone. Not sure how many are still monitoring this thread. I think JAyers sold his boat and moved to Florida where he got another boat. I've been working on mine for a year now. Most of the hard stuff is done; new thru hulls (o hell that one behind the engine by the muffler......)new toilet and hoses, new galley top, bottom paint, chain plates, and the list goes on. Next is the wiring. The previous owners did me no favors here. Going to do the AC circuit first since its the smallest and easiest to do. Made my own cabin cushions and repainted the interior. Have lazy jacks but haven't installed yet. Weather here this winter hasn't been good. I noticed on the shoal draft drawings on saildata there is a drop keel. Didn't see that on my boat. Was that only certain years?

Attachments