Registered users don't see ads

Oday 322 mast wiring

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by David11038, Jan 31, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. David11038

David11038

Joined Aug 31, 2004
    62 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    US Lake St Clair St Clair Shores
    As soon as it is warm enough, I will be running new wiring for a wind transducer on my Oday 322 - I may also go ahead and rewire the masthead lighting at the same time. My question to other 322 owners is where is the wiring conduit in the cabin? I have only worked on keel stepped masts before (Oday 28) where the wiring runs through the bilge. However, with the deck stepped mast on the 322, I see the wiring harness on the deck and the wiring runs through a gasketed hole in the deck, but once inside the cabin, I can't see where the wiring goes. At the top of the compression post in the cabin, there is a panel that unscrews, but no wiring visible there.
    Suggestions?

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    623 posts, 33 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Good question....I opened the panel on my O322, and cant see any wires in there either...

Curious to hear what others have found.

Greg

3. Barnacle Bill

Barnacle Bill

Joined Jun 9, 2008
    1,414 posts, 8 likes
    - --
    US -Bayfield
    There might not be. I have worked on boats for decades and sometimes you just have to figure out how to run wires and hide them at the same time.

4. rajhnsn

rajhnsn

Joined Oct 7, 2008
    274 posts, 1 likes
    Oday Oday 35
    US Chesapeake Bay
    On the 35 there are channels in the bilge and along the sides below the windows and above the settees.

5. DLB

DLB

Joined Aug 21, 2016
    15 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    I'll check that's out

6. BwWhisper

BwWhisper

Joined Dec 28, 2015
    8 posts, 1 likes
    O'DAY 322
    US Connecticut Bridgeport CT
    I have a 1988 322 which has all wiring running down through the mast, compression post and into the bilge. Could not be sure it's all original but that's how its done. Lighting, radar,and VHF all pass through the bilge then up to the panel on port side passing under the water tank

7. Mickstr

Mickstr

Joined Jun 1, 2007
    99 posts, 1 likes
    O'Day 322
    US Mt.Sinai
    Agree with BwWhisper, if you pick up the sole panels on either side of the base of the compression post, you'll find the wires coming down from the mast head. At least I do on my '87 322.

8. AndreNJ11

AndreNJ11

Joined Feb 22, 2010
    12 posts, 1 likes
    Oday 322
    US Delaware River
    I had my mast down last year (2016). The mast wires in my boat come down through a hole in the middle of the mast in the center of the mast step plate, then down through the stainless compression post and out the side into the bilge, then through a connector bus in the bilge, then under the structural inner hull over to the port side where they come up behind the chart table to the electric panel. I replaced my connector bus in the bilge last year. See the attached pictures.

IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1368.JPG

9. David11038

David11038

Joined Aug 31, 2004
    62 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    Great. Thanks for the detailed response. Hoping for a warm enough day in a week or two to go check it out.

10. David11038

David11038

Joined Aug 31, 2004
    62 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 322
    I do have to add a question about the wisdom of ODay putting a connector bus in the bilge - isn't it sometimes wet down there?
    :)

11. Justin_NSA

Justin_NSA

Joined Jul 7, 2004
    3,146 posts, 191 likes
    Hunter 30T
    US Wichita, KS
    You can tell it's pretty damp from the corrosion in the middle picture. Connections should probably be sealed and coated to prevent this.

12. rajhnsn

rajhnsn

Joined Oct 7, 2008
    274 posts, 1 likes
    Oday Oday 35
    US Chesapeake Bay
    I added a bus bar because all of the connections were individually made up. It was a mess. I put the bar as high as possible and covered each connection with electrical grease and a plastic cover.

13. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    1,343 posts, 204 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    I've been using a new product to me. Corrosion Block. It has worked wonders on all types of exposed metals - galvanized, stainless etc. As an example I had a master lock on the lazaret which after 6 months of marine air experience was starting to fail. Sprayed the stuff inside and out. No issues for over a year. I was amazed. Found it at our local chandler. Comes in both a spray and gel grease.

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.